Paint And Primer In One

Old 03-01-2012, 01:41 AM   #1
Pro

Trade: Licensed G. C. carpenter, flooring, remodeling
Rewards Points: 532

Paint And Primer In One

What are you guys thoughts on paint and primer in one. My view is I wiil use it one some new wood trim or maybe a small job, but if you had a house with all new drywall, would you trust it. Last couple jobs I did that involved painting, I primed with zinzer and then painted. Is doing it that way a waste with the new products that are out or do you guys think that they are inferior to using a primer, letting it dry and then painting?

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Old 03-01-2012, 02:12 AM   #2
Reet

Trade: Painting/ Sales
Rewards Points: 250

Re: Paint And Primer In One

There are some products out there that work pretty well as a paint and primer in one for drywall. I would not use these products over wood, or just for the sake of small jobs. I always prime anything new with specific primers.

My feeling is that to put the two together you are making compromises. I always use primer for primer, and paint for paint.

Old 03-01-2012, 04:38 AM   #3
manipulator of wood

Trade: general contractor
Rewards Points: 500

I agree. I think by trying to combine the two. something is compromised. always use primer. and then paint. but then you have people who swear by it and it works. soo.everyone has his quirks i guess.
Old 03-01-2012, 05:43 AM   #4
Pro

Trade: Painting and wallpaper
Rewards Points: 296

I think they are more of a gimmick for the DIY crowd who don't know if they need to use a primer or not. If I need a primer then I use a primer that is specific to the job at hand.
Old 03-01-2012, 06:01 AM   #5

Trade: General
Rewards Points: 10

You want to prime first to have a nice flat white surface for the paint to adhere to and allow the real color of the paint to be shown. Paint and primer in one is for diy homeowners that don't know what they are doing.
Also paint manufacturers are just looking to raise the price somehow.
Old 03-01-2012, 06:14 AM   #6
Pro

Trade: General Contractor/carpenter
Rewards Points: 152

If it's going to take you more than one coat, what you are doing is using some very expensive primer.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jackpine Savage For This Useful Post:
jkfox624 (04-25-2012), summithomeinc (03-04-2012)
Old 03-01-2012, 06:33 AM   #7
Pro

Trade: house painting and miscellaneous repair

I actually saw a customer paint their basement reno with the stuff, could help but giggle, fifty bucks a can when primer is 15 plus. I can like a primer included to deal with and consider a few nail holes and patches. The Manufacturer's ought to have the common sense to become a little human and explain that the prime included is to improve against flashing , not replace primer. Proof that their tactics are tom foolery instead of integrity. Does the primer included completely remove flashing effects, I don't think so.
Old 03-01-2012, 03:09 PM   #8
New Guy

Trade: Painter

As far as the nomenclature of "Paint and Primer in One", it is just that, a nomenclature. A more accurate description of the product in professional terms would be a self priming paint. These paints generally have better adhesion than their non self priming counterparts. Having said that, I have never found a real situation where using these products would stop me from using a primer where needed. In fact, the tag of "Paint and Primer in One" is geared toward the DIY'er in advertising.
I sell this stuff at my job all day long when I'm working. Customers ask for the paint with the primer in it as if it was actually paint with primer dumped in and mixed... I have to educate them and tell them it's a self priming paint, that it has about a 10-15% better opacity than a paint a step down, that the binders and resins are of a higher quality which promotes the following 2 things: better adhesion, and a much more durable finish. I actually explain to them that as professionals, the fact that it is self priming is the least thing we care about. I sell the products on the durability mostly. Yeah, they cover a little bit better, but usually not enough to warrant 1 coat where we would usually use 2 to get the job done.
I would never apply it on bare drywall. Where proper application to the mil specs and two coats would prevent flashing, it's just not a complete job. I still sell them drywall primer and tell em 2 coats over that for bare. If you can later do a color change in one coat AFTER a correct first painting, go for it. I have used it for myself over bare wood trim and it worked flawlessly in 2 coats. Of course, if there is any tannin, you need to shut that down first with a stainblocker.
Overall, I do like these paints, but not for the reasons the advertising tells people about them. I have used a lot of Valspar Signature with good success. At 31-34 bucks a gallon, it's a solid product. It's not SW duration, but it's not 50+ a can either. Some people will come back and say the paint sucks or it failed or some other idiot excuse. After a brief interview by me to them, I know they had a failed job simply because they have no idea how to paint. It usually isn't the coating. The only "issue" I have had with say Signature is that on SOME of the colors, I cut my cut pot with about 5% water to get it to flow better, but hey, with the reformulations of lots of the paint, pulling like a tank on the cut in is pretty common.
The Following User Says Thank You to Megabass For This Useful Post:
Munanbak (03-01-2012)
Old 03-01-2012, 03:14 PM   #9
President of the world

Trade: general contractor
Rewards Points: 2,000

the title of this thread makes me laugh...

eventually, even painters are going to believe it is....
Old 03-01-2012, 03:27 PM   #10
Thom

Trade: General Contractor/Homebuilder
Rewards Points: 2,942

I've used it on drywall, it works fine as a primer, it works fine as paint. It will not cover in one coat. Put on three coats and it's great. Of course you could also put on a single primer and a double paint and get the same result.
The Following User Says Thank You to thom For This Useful Post:
jkfox624 (04-25-2012)
Old 03-01-2012, 05:12 PM   #11

Trade: Painting contractor

It depends on what your finish is going to be. I have done many hotels, condo buildings, apartments ect....I use a primer finish for the walls and the ceilings, spraying and back rolling. Wood I don't believe there is a product, if so enlighten me. Hope this helps.

Chicago Painters
Commercial painters in Chicago

Last edited by jimbo3636; 03-01-2012 at 05:54 PM. Reason: insert my signature
The Following User Says Thank You to jimbo3636 For This Useful Post:
JHC (03-04-2012)
Old 03-04-2012, 04:26 PM   #12
Painting & Remodeling

Trade: Remodeling
Rewards Points: 502

It all depends on where you are applying it. Many of these new primer and paints in one work better than drywall primers. Several that are over $35 a gallon that work very well to seal mud and paper on gwb.
Old 03-04-2012, 08:15 PM   #13
Pro

Trade: Wood n' concrete finishes
Rewards Points: 150

Aura. Works. On exterior wood. I'm not kidding. PT. 2 coats and it looks great. Three, even better. On my way to the poor house...as it cuts me out of labor for a primer coat. But I don't pay myself on my own house, and I have aura leftovers....good thing my favorite color is whatever all those jobs are when I mix them together. GREY.

More money than time= 80.00 a gal no problem.
Old 04-24-2012, 10:15 PM   #14

Trade: Paint Store Rep.

Paint and primer in one is really just a sales gimmick. I would say about the only thing I would use a self priming paint on is new drywall; and that's only the case with Flat paints. Most interior flat paints are self priming on new drywall. A lot of painters will even use a very inexpensive paint as a primer for new drywall; before they top coat it with a higher grade paint (example would be priming the walls with a product like Dunn Edwards Superwall and then painting over with a higher quality product such as their SpartaWall or Suprema).
Old 04-24-2012, 10:35 PM   #15
Pro

Trade: General
Rewards Points: 7,580

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megabass View Post
Some people will come back and say the paint sucks or it failed or some other idiot excuse. After a brief interview by me to them, I know they had a failed job simply because they have no idea how to paint. It usually isn't the coating. The only "issue" I have had with say Signature is that on SOME of the colors, I cut my cut pot with about 5% water to get it to flow better, but hey, with the reformulations of lots of the paint, pulling like a tank on the cut in is pretty common.
I wonder how that interview would go?

The fact most self priming paints are junk. They take longer to dry. You are better off spending the $50 on good paint and priming the surface. But then again, I guess that I am an idiot and don't know how to paint.
Originally Posted by maninthesea View Post
Instructions are just the manufacturers opinion
And yes, I am not afraid to admit I like Mike Holmes!
Old 04-24-2012, 10:40 PM   #16
Reet

Trade: Painting/ Sales
Rewards Points: 250

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNTSERVICES View Post
I wonder how that interview would go?

The fact most self priming paints are junk. They take longer to dry. You are better off spending the $50 on good paint and priming the surface. But then again, I guess that I am an idiot and don't know how to paint.
Not to mention its cheaper to do it right..primers cheaper than paint.
The Following User Says Thank You to Spaint90 For This Useful Post:
TNTSERVICES (04-25-2012)
Old 04-24-2012, 11:08 PM   #17
Drywall & Painting Pro

Trade: Licensed Florida Drywall and Painting Contractor
Rewards Points: 1,819

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaint90 View Post
Not to mention its cheaper to do it right..primers cheaper than paint.
And if possible, I like to get my primer tinted 70%ish the top coat color (color and product permitting).
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sir Mixalot For This Useful Post:
Spaint90 (04-24-2012), TNTSERVICES (04-25-2012)
Old 04-28-2012, 12:50 PM   #18
Pro

Trade: Painting Contractor

We have had times when it would be primer and two coats so two coats of primer and paint worked just fine on bare drywall, saved having to do the 3rd coat...