Paint Per Gallon Our Our Cost

Old 04-07-2007, 02:41 PM   #1
House Painters Reading PA

Trade: House Painting, Roof Cleaning, Pressure Washing

Paint Per Gallon Our Our Cost

The paint stores always say the price comes down with the more you buy. Also, they say you have to have a revolving account opened. I do repaints and do not like the idea of keeping a credit account when it gets too tempting to try and shift payments around in slow times.

What price per gallon for moorglo, moorgard, regal matte, muralo semigloss, duration interior satin, superpaint int satin, cashmere low lustre, duration exterior sg and satin, superpaint exterior satin and gloss, proclassic waterborne semigloss.

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Old 04-07-2007, 04:38 PM   #2
Pro

Trade: Painter

Re: Paint Per Gallon Our Our Cost

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4thGeneration View Post
The paint stores always say the price comes down with the more you buy. Also, they say you have to have a revolving account opened. I do repaints and do not like the idea of keeping a credit account when it gets too tempting to try and shift payments around in slow times.

What price per gallon for moorglo, moorgard, regal matte, muralo semigloss, duration interior satin, superpaint int satin, cashmere low lustre, duration exterior sg and satin, superpaint exterior satin and gloss, proclassic waterborne semigloss.
heh, you first.

Old 04-07-2007, 08:05 PM   #3
Pro

Trade: Painting in Utah

At Sherwin Williams I was able to open an account, not credit, I paid cash every time, they kept track of my purchases and gave me a discount. I now have a credit acct due to large orders of paint, the discount is more. If I pay in full by the 10th I get 2% off.
I pay about 20 a gallon for heavy body eggshell. 41 a five for primer.

Last edited by RCPainting; 04-08-2007 at 10:17 AM.
Old 04-08-2007, 07:54 AM   #4
Professional Painter

Trade: Owner/Operator

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4thGeneration View Post

I have an account at BM and SW. I'm not about to front $700 in paint/supplies to start a job if I need it now and the check ain't cleared yet. I'm not the only one who doesn't like to front tons of money either. Every respectable company around here (good credit, boss doesn't do drugs, good reputation) has an account at either BM or SW.

If you can control yourself, it's fine. You buy the stuff and pay it right off with your deposit or first draw...it's that simple. As for all my paint prices...it's too early, but most of the more quality paints I'll pay $25-$35.
Old 04-08-2007, 08:21 AM   #5
Pro

Trade: Porch and Deck Builder

I have a SW account. Interior Promar 200 flat, $23. Eggshell, $29. Semi gloss, $30.
Old 04-08-2007, 10:40 AM   #6

Trade: Property mngt

I like to have an account. Need to get something on the fly you never have to worry. I dont like to carry a lot of cash anyway. Also enable somebody else to pick it up as long as you have thier name on the account.
Old 04-08-2007, 11:07 AM   #7
My custom title

Trade: Painting, faux, rock, plaster, texture, tile, laminates, finish carpentry contractor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris G View Post
I have a SW account. Interior Promar 200 flat, $23. Eggshell, $29. Semi gloss, $30.
You need to talk to your rep... I don't have an account per se, but I have a good relation with my rep... I pay about 5 dollars less than your quoted prices.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian
Paint does a lot more than put color on a surface. It protects surfaces, it can reduce maintenance costs, it can enhance lives.
Old 04-08-2007, 11:24 AM   #8
Pro

Trade: Painting Contractor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris G View Post
I don't buy at SW, but i pay way less at pittsburgh and way less at BM. I would see why your rate is so high.
Old 04-08-2007, 11:47 AM   #9
Professional Painter

Trade: Owner/Operator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brushslingers View Post
You need to talk to your rep... I don't have an account per se, but I have a good relation with my rep... I pay about 5 dollars less than your quoted prices.
I was going to say the same thing...but I figured it's cause he's not a painter and doesn't spend like we do to drive those prices down
Old 04-08-2007, 12:08 PM   #10

Trade: painting contractor

I have always found out that it is worth your while to talk to the paint reps for each company. They are the ones who can work on pricing and sometimes will be willing to sample out products for you to try. I have also found that by having them in the loop you can ask for there advice on what products they think might be the best for your situation. This is really important for Sherwin Williams because it seems as if they have a million products.

Gary
Old 04-08-2007, 01:33 PM   #11

Trade: Project Management
Send a message via Yahoo to lpp

I have accounts at KM, BM, and SW. BM gives practically no discount, but then again I only use them on the few commercial specs that call for it. KM I was spending around $1500 a month with them and I talked to my sales rep maybe twice. We quit using them and even with that large drop in my purchasing I still never heard from anyone as to why we quit buying. But, supposedly the more you buy with them the better your prices are. My SW rep actually signed us up for an account when I was picking up paint for a general contractor that I work with from time to time. Since then, he calls practically every week wanting to demo new products and has been a blessing. For instance, he will go in and adjust my pricing to be lower for the paints I use most often, like superpaint. He will even do this for certain sundries. So, if you want a good price for a great product my advice is to develop a relationship with your sales rep if at all possible. I don't have to charge, but I do because it helps my sales rep keep a more accurate view of how much money I make him and that makes him more willing to help me. I have called him out on several difficult jobs and asked his opinion on what product will best fit my needs. I think KM and SW are comparable on alot of products and my money goes to SW every month now just because of one sales rep that takes an interest in my business and my needs. KM could drop my prices by $10 a gal now and I wouldn't give up my SW rep. One example would be, I had a metal primer fail with proper prep from KM and couldn't get anyone to look at it. I wound up eating the warranty work and redoing the job with a different primer from SW. I had some hotdog rollers fail (damn things would fall apart mid roll) and my SW rep came out looked at it and comped us two new contractor packs along with a call to the manufacturer. Service is leaps and bounds better with the same or sometimes even cheaper prices. I'd pay more just for service like that. Just my two cents.
Old 04-08-2007, 02:47 PM   #12
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paintguy26 View Post
I was going to say the same thing...but I figured it's cause he's not a painter and doesn't spend like we do to drive those prices down
Chris is in Toronto.
These are Canadian dollars.
Old 04-08-2007, 03:51 PM   #13
Insert title

Trade: Doors-Windows-Decks

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Z View Post
Chris is in Toronto.
I was waiting for someone not from Canada to figure that out. Tell them how much you pay for a unit of petro and see if they can figure it out.
Old 04-08-2007, 04:03 PM   #14
My custom title

Trade: Painting, faux, rock, plaster, texture, tile, laminates, finish carpentry contractor

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Z View Post
Chris is in Toronto.
Like US dollars are worth alot these days... HAHA!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian
Paint does a lot more than put color on a surface. It protects surfaces, it can reduce maintenance costs, it can enhance lives.
Old 04-08-2007, 04:17 PM   #15
Pro

Trade: Painter

About the same story as everyone else on SW prices. That's the only paint store I have an account with. Prices are pretty good, not because I buy mass quantities but because I've set up some bigger accounts for them.

Managers come and go, it's important to stay in touch with a rep, regional mgr. etc. SW has its heirarchy.

Must say, I'm lost in vegas, completely different territory. No real SW connections.
Old 04-08-2007, 06:49 PM   #16

Trade: Paint Sales

Pricing at SW is based on volume and the region of the country you are in. The more work there is typically the painters pay higher prices. I manage a store in northeast ohio the economy is incredibly slow here. Most my decent size painters (25-50k) pay in the mid to high teens ($14-$18) for paint. Now most of me smaller guys (5-10k) pay over $20 for PM200. I know guys in the northwest part of the country pay way more usually. It also depends on how big a prick you are about pricing.
Old 04-09-2007, 08:38 AM   #17
Pro

Trade: Porch and Deck Builder

Quote:
As mentioned, I'm in Canada. And my volume is a lot lower than full time painters. It's also a fairly new account, so they'll adjust once they see what I'm buying a lot of. But those prices are fine for my volume. And I like the service I get.

Quote:
I was waiting for someone not from Canada to figure that out. Tell them how much you pay for a unit of petro and see if they can figure it out.
Gas here is $1.02 a LITRE. I don't think it will ever go under a $1.00 again. My 2002 Astro loves gas.
Old 04-09-2007, 09:32 AM   #18
Commercial Contractor

Trade: Commercial General Contractor
Send a message via AIM to Mud Master

They are still making Astros in Canada??

The discontinued them here awhile ago..
Old 04-09-2007, 10:03 AM   #19
Pro

Trade: Plastering, Drywall, Painting, Woodworking, Stucco

I have an account with BM and SW we use mainly BM top of line paints they run around $24.00 to $32.00 flat,eggshell,semi gloss. I find they charge more for deep base around $35.00 that's deep reds greens. As for SW I dropped them due to the bad experience we had with their paint. but they are around $16.00 to $21.00 Promar top of line I can't remeber what the number series is 100, 200, 400. BM Primers run around $22.00 fresh start, Block filler runs $50.00 a five. as for extrior paints they are running $29.00 to $35.00
Old 04-09-2007, 10:29 AM   #20
Pro

One thing that always bugged me about BM was charging more per base. I understand that there's more colorant put into it but other paint company's aren't doing it. I have always thought paint buying was more about service then price. Price can always be passed on to the customer but good service is hard to find these days! Also I can't stand volume discounts, it tells us that big paint manufacturers want to deal with big paint contractors and could take or leave the little paint contractor.