Paint Peeling Off Wall?

Old 02-11-2005, 02:49 AM   #1
Pro

Trade: Wood working in spare time.
Rewards Points: 1,000

Paint Peeling Off Wall?

Have a bathroom that use to have wallpaper on the walls. I took it off sometime ago. I then repainted the walls. The paint keeps on peeling off of the wall in different places. Its like paint isn't peeling in some places but is in others. I scraped the peeling paint off the walls 3 monthes ago repainted and it just started peeling off like before. Someone told me to sand the walls good then use a oilbase primer than a latex paint. He said their might be some residule glue on spots of the wall from the wallpaper and that could react will primer and paint but it won't react to a oilbase primer. ANY SUGGESTIONS ON HOW TO FIX THIS WOULD BE GREATLY APPRECIATED...

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Old 02-11-2005, 06:19 AM   #2
Back from the dead...

Trade: Paperhanger/Painter
Rewards Points: 2,504

Re: Paint Peeling Off Wall?

Yep, sand it down real good, and prime it with a slow drying, heavy-bodied long oil primer.

Old 02-11-2005, 06:52 PM   #3
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProWallGuy
Yep, sand it down real good, and prime it with a slow drying, heavy-bodied long oil primer.
Thanks prowall guy I appreciated your prompt response to my problem
Old 02-11-2005, 08:29 PM   #4
Pro

Rewards Points: 250

The same thing happend to me in my bathroom, before I got into painting - the contractor put 2 coats of flat kitchen and bathroom paint. Well 2 years later I am in there for 3 days with a putty knife scraping like it was an exterior job - sanded it down - patched some areas with joint compound - and spot primed the compound repairs withs a 100% acrylic exterior/interior stain killing primer/sealer. A window was installed, and hit the wood molding with the same stuff. Another year goes by, and peals again - but I notice something interesting - where there was brush off onto the wall adjacent to the window that I put primer on - no peeling whatsoever - where the primer ends - peeling like mad!

The moral of the story - moisture gets through latex paint - and unless you have a primer that seals the voids and gives a proper surface so paint can stick - then moisture will attack your paint job and you will have more peeling.

since it sounds like you have plaster walls that wallpaper sat on - go ahead prime with a quick dry oil based primer like Kilz original or Zinsser CoverStain.
Long 0ils are designed for expansion and contraction like you see on an outside of house - and slow drying is needed if you have porosity that needs to be sealed - basically enough time for the oils to drench in before they start polymerising. Again a feature needed for exterior wood - either of which you don't need. And to boot - quick dry primers kill stains better.]

Food for thought - if moisture coming from the direction of outside the paint job towards the substrate is a major cause of peeling - {for instance hot shower steam attacking the interior walls} Why is it, that most manufacturers are touting their Exterior 'breatheable' primers? When all your doing is giving moisture a chance to get right to the wood, and attack your paint job from within? Paint jobs peeling due to moisture from inside the house trying to make it's way out is a lot of phooey in my opinion. Making a house 'breatheable' is the G.C.'s job. Sealing the wood is the painters'. And I am sticking with P&L non-breathing primer - that seals the wood - preventing moisture from setting in. If the house don't breathe - don't fix it with a crappy 'breatheable' primer that only aggravates the situation. Fix it right through carpentry.

Sorry for the long winded reply

-PlainPainter
Old 02-11-2005, 10:55 PM   #5
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlainPainter
The same thing happend to me in my bathroom, before I got into painting - the contractor put 2 coats of flat kitchen and bathroom paint. Well 2 years later I am in there for 3 days with a putty knife scraping like it was an exterior job - sanded it down - patched some areas with joint compound - and spot primed the compound repairs withs a 100% acrylic exterior/interior stain killing primer/sealer. A window was installed, and hit the wood molding with the same stuff. Another year goes by, and peals again - but I notice something interesting - where there was brush off onto the wall adjacent to the window that I put primer on - no peeling whatsoever - where the primer ends - peeling like mad!

The moral of the story - moisture gets through latex paint - and unless you have a primer that seals the voids and gives a proper surface so paint can stick - then moisture will attack your paint job and you will have more peeling.

since it sounds like you have plaster walls that wallpaper sat on - go ahead prime with a quick dry oil based primer like Kilz original or Zinsser CoverStain.
Long 0ils are designed for expansion and contraction like you see on an outside of house - and slow drying is needed if you have porosity that needs to be sealed - basically enough time for the oils to drench in before they start polymerising. Again a feature needed for exterior wood - either of which you don't need. And to boot - quick dry primers kill stains better.]

Food for thought - if moisture coming from the direction of outside the paint job towards the substrate is a major cause of peeling - {for instance hot shower steam attacking the interior walls} Why is it, that most manufacturers are touting their Exterior 'breatheable' primers? When all your doing is giving moisture a chance to get right to the wood, and attack your paint job from within? Paint jobs peeling due to moisture from inside the house trying to make it's way out is a lot of phooey in my opinion. Making a house 'breatheable' is the G.C.'s job. Sealing the wood is the painters'. And I am sticking with P&L non-breathing primer - that seals the wood - preventing moisture from setting in. If the house don't breathe - don't fix it with a crappy 'breatheable' primer that only aggravates the situation. Fix it right through carpentry.

Sorry for the long winded reply

-PlainPainter
OUTSTANDING I'M GOING TO MENARDS TO GET SOME OF THE PRIMER YOU HAVE SUGGESTED...THANKS :Thumbs: :Thumbs: :Thumbs: :Thumbs: :Thumbs:
Old 02-12-2005, 12:43 AM   #6
Pro

Trade: Residential Contractor
Rewards Points: 2,000

Plain, The 'breatheable' paints are due to the newer EnergyStar homes. You may want to study up on them as you will be running into them in the future. Many of these homes are so tight that they actually use an 'iron lung' principal for air exchange and any moisture trapped in the walls needs an escape path.
Some of the more advanced homes are actually using a computer to control the systems and I don't mean the old light on/off stuff. It won't be long until your new home will be having computer malfunctions.
Old 02-13-2005, 07:19 AM   #7
Pro

Teetorbilt - there should still be a 'route' for moisture to take that exits throught the vents in the soffits. Its still a carpentry problem. If these homes are that buttoned up. Then I would as a sub - put up strapping on top of the Tyvek wrap, where the studs are located. And the put 3/8" ply wood on top, and then clapboard - so now there is a blanket of air the moisture can go into and up, up, up and away out the soffit vents. Still see no need to use breatheable primers - unless you're the paint maker and want to sell more paint due to more paint failures. How many times have I seen clapboards beltsand to clean wood, then a deep penetrating linseed alkyd primer used and two top quality coats of latex used - only to see it come off again. The reason being, research has recently detected these 'channels'
that mold has eaten right through the wood. And once you have moisture collect again on the clapboards, it sucks right through the pores of these breatheable primers and back into 'channels' that were previously eaten away,
and now the old mold deep into the wood is revived, because #1 it has these channels supplying the oxygen, moisture, and the wood is the food. So you have failure again! Even when you did everything right. If you do the job right, and force a paintable linseed based deck stain into the wood when it is 'dry' your close these channels up, then an application of deep penetrating non-breatheable primer fills the top. Now those deep embedded molds, will no longer have oxygen and water. So you have eliminated 2 points of their 3 point star of existance - now you have a lasting finish.

-PlainPainter
Old 02-13-2005, 07:38 AM   #8
Pro

plain, My reference was to newer and future homes. You may want to check them out if you are considering ever building one. Info can be found at nahbrc.org pathnet.org which has a link to toolbase.org
Old 02-19-2005, 07:32 PM   #9
Pro

[B]Next saturday I'm going to tackle the bathroom I asked you about. Have a couple of follow up questions. First I'm going to scrap flacking paint off the walls. Then I'm going to sand the walls. First question. Tell me what sandpaper to buy to attach to a drywall sanding poll which I'm going to borrrow from brother in law. Meaning does drywall sanding paper come in different grains like wood sandpaper? I have never purchased it before. After I get the walls sanded then I'm going to prime with Kilz original oil base primer interior. Once it dries then its ok to use a latex paint over that oilbase primer correct. Do you think I should use a mildew resistant paint because its a bathroom? If so tell me what to ask for. I hope you guys don't thinks these are stupid questions. I'm extremely thankfull for the excellent knowledgeable advice I'm getting from outstanding professional like your self.

THANKS 747 :Thumbs:
Old 02-19-2005, 08:07 PM   #10
Pro

Trade: Painting Contractor
Rewards Points: 1,014

Quote:
Originally Posted by 747
[B]Next saturday I'm going to tackle the bathroom I asked you about. Have a couple of follow up questions. First I'm going to scrap flacking paint off the walls. Then I'm going to sand the walls. First question. Tell me what sandpaper to buy to attach to a drywall sanding poll which I'm going to borrrow from brother in law. Meaning does drywall sanding paper come in different grains like wood sandpaper? I have never purchased it before. After I get the walls sanded then I'm going to prime with Kilz original oil base primer interior. Once it dries then its ok to use a latex paint over that oilbase primer correct. Do you think I should use a mildew resistant paint because its a bathroom? If so tell me what to ask for. I hope you guys don't thinks these are stupid questions. I'm extremely thankfull for the excellent knowledgeable advice I'm getting from outstanding professional like your self.

THANKS 747 :Thumbs:
Painting a bathroom, especially behind the closed door with CoverStain
or Kilz is not recommended unless you wear an approved respirator,
you are very quick, have the fan going and the window open.
Read all warnings on the can and take them seriously. I wouldn't
even use kilz for a small spot-prime. The correct spelling should
be Kills. As a responsible painting contractor I have the responsibillity
to suggest you leave it to a professional.I know painters that have been
overcome by the fumes. If you decide to tackle it, be careful!
You can use 150 or higher sandpaper. Mildew is a concern for any
oil paint.
If it is not too late, alternate suggestions for primer : PPG Seal Grip synthetic.
It is lower odour works great for your kind of project and is safer, I think.
PPG Pure Performance enamel for finish coat: Very low in VOC and great for
areas with mildew. We used it extensively and it works great.

Last edited by George Z; 02-19-2005 at 08:19 PM. Reason: didn't like it
Old 02-19-2005, 08:27 PM   #11
Back from the dead...

If the walls are fairly rough, use 80 grit. If fairly smooth, use something less aggressive, like 120 grit.
Quote:
I'm going to prime with Kilz original oil base primer interior.
Not a long oil. Kilz was and is formulated as a 'stain blocker', or 'stain killer', not as an underbody. Feel free to use what you want, but it wouldn't be my first choice. Kilz and other stain blockers tend to dry fast, not allowing time to penetrate and effectively 'lock down' the unstable surface.

As George said, use a respirator for any oil in an enclosed area, or reap the benefits of dwindling brain cells and lung cancer.

Get ready, plainpainter is about to tell you that milks causes this too.
Old 02-19-2005, 10:30 PM   #12
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProWallGuy
If the walls are fairly rough, use 80 grit. If fairly smooth, use something less aggressive, like 120 grit.

Not a long oil. Kilz was and is formulated as a 'stain blocker', or 'stain killer', not as an underbody. Feel free to use what you want, but it wouldn't be my first choice. Kilz and other stain blockers tend to dry fast, not allowing time to penetrate and effectively 'lock down' the unstable surface.

As George said, use a respirator for any oil in an enclosed area, or reap the benefits of dwindling brain cells and lung cancer.

Get ready, plainpainter is about to tell you that milks causes this too.
I haven't went out and bought anything yet. Going to do it next weekend. Tell me what primer to buy. Would you recomend what George Z recomends for primer and paint. Question is that a oilbase primer. Meaning I thought the way to prevent the flaking is to go with oil base primer. Please read my original post and then advise back. I hope that doesn't sound to pushy. Just tell me what to ask for at menards and thats what I'm getting your the expert not me.
Old 02-19-2005, 10:49 PM   #13
Back from the dead...

Quote:
Just tell me what to ask for at menards and thats what I'm getting
I have no Menards in my area, so I don't know what they offer in the way of primers. Maybe you would be better off going to a paint store, instead of a discount store.

Whats up with the big font?
Old 02-19-2005, 11:04 PM   #14
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by 747
I haven't went out and bought anything yet. Going to do it next weekend. Tell me what primer to buy. Would you recomend what George Z recomends for primer and paint. Question is that a oilbase primer. Meaning I thought the way to prevent the flaking is to go with oil base primer. Please read my original post and then advise back. I hope that doesn't sound to pushy. Just tell me what to ask for at menards and thats what I'm getting your the expert not me.
I don't think there is a safe choice here. I hate to say this but
a safer choice will be a compromise. Pro-Wall's suggested
primer will give you the best performance. The store can suggest
a slow drying oil primer. Read warnings on the labels and ask the
store to provide you with the Material Safety Data Sheets.
Usually they are in the manufacturer's website
If you follow precautions you will be fine. You can use
any quality latex enamel for finish coat.You have to follow
precautions with water based paint as well.
Old 02-19-2005, 11:18 PM   #15
Pro

Holy Bat guano, Robin! I can read this without my Batglasses!
Old 02-20-2005, 08:37 AM   #16
Pro

LOL, 747 - you trust me? I will tell you everything you need to know.
First off George, is a little oil/spirits phobic - but it's true what he said
about wearing a respirator. As a homeowner your 'exposure' to the
smells of priming a small bathroom might take 5 seconds off your life.
For a professional painter, where we are confronted with those situations
often - we must take precautions or those 5 seconds start to add up!

so if you don't want to purchase a $50 respirator and/or have no friend's
respirator to borrow - this is what I suggest you do. Open windows, turn
on the bathroom fan - tape off cut-lines, like along tile edges, anywhere it will make your life easier to cut in. Remember this is the primer stage, no need to be neat - just slap the paint on for the cuts - and then run out!
Then wait a while, and go back and roll it out. Wear a dust mask and your shirt over your face. But in all reality - most painters I know will spot prime
and paint trim all day long with oil paints and primers w/out a mask all day long. Ask yourself this question - how many exterior painting crews have you seen wear respirators while they're slapping on oil primer on a house? True it is outside - but then again you are right next to a large wall with copious amounts of deep penetrating primer with strong amounts of spirits.

Now about mildew being a concern - if your bathroom doesn't have good ventilation - no amount of mildewcides will cure mildew. If your bathroom has good ventilation - just about any paint will be ok. In all my life I have never had any mildew problems in my bathrooms - my personal bathrooms. And I never paid much attention to mildewcides. About 'mildew being a concern for any oil paint' - I roll my eyes.......And yes, Kilz is the correct spelling - that's the name of the brand of paint. Next thing I will be reading is that Bear is the correct spelling of Behr.

If your bathroom walls were bad, I'd say go ahead and sand with 80 grit and finish off with 120. I can't really say, I always make the judgement when I am actually doing the job. Typically walls in good shape, I have a box of 150 grit sandpapers cut specifically for poll sanders that I use. But be warned poll-sanders 'level' patch jobs, but don't really blend them in. After poll sanding the patch jobs flat - blend in the edges with a sponge sander. Just go over everything lightly by hand.

About kilz not being a good undercoater - it says primer/sealer right on the side of the can, that means undercoater. I have used good quality enamel undercoaters on plaster walls and I have used their more quick dry cousins.
Personally I can't tell the difference. In theory the longer drying interior primers have better sticking capability. But I have tried cutting an 'X' into my priming jobs with an exacto knife - and trying to pull it off with tape. After a full cure of 7 days - I couldn't see any difference between the two products.
Remember both primers are identical - except the quick dry has a different solvent which makes it dry faster. About quick dry primers not being able to penetrate and lock down a surface. Consider a latex primer that George is recommending - of all primers, latex dry the fastest. So if you consider that prowallguy said that kilz isn't as good, then using his logix latex is even worse.
It dries the quickest, and latex doesn't penetrate worth a damn, unless you dump a cup of will-bond into each can of primer. And that will end up stinking a whole lot worse then if you just used kilz or cover-stain. And not to mention - if you have what I think is veneer plaster on your walls - then kilz will penetrate just fine - it absorbs into those pores in seconds. Wood trim is another story - but again I have done many doors with cover-stain. With excellent adhesion and enamel hold-out. In fact I was on somebody else's job at a newly constructed house. And all the trim except some windows were pre-primed wood. It took 5 coats of BenjaminMoore aquaglo to contain the bleeding and flashing. Probably because it was a latex primer applied at the factory. But the windows where I applied one coat of Cover-Stain, I only needed one top coat of the Semi-gloss latex paint to have perfect coverage, enamel holdout, etc. I still put a second coat anyways just because I am that way.

But in all fairness, if what you have is just sheetrock in your bathroom, then go ahead and use interior latex enamel undercoater, Ace makes one that is passes the requirements for a 'vapor barrier.' But be careful with latex primers, stay within one company's products. If you use one company's latex primer and another company's latex topcoats - you could get in trouble.
I did a house with Muralo's interior/exterior stain killing primer/sealer, and topcoated with P&L Accolade - both world class products. But their was a problem of incompatibility. When I rolled on the accolade, everything was fine. When I went back to roll on more paint, and went to back-roll onto paint that had only been sitting for like 15 seconds - the paint came off the walls. And if you ever painted latex over walls that still had some wall-paper glue on them - you will know what I mean. when you use an oil primer, you dont' have any of these issues. And about latex primer being 'safe' I have never puked worse in my life than being in a tight house rolling up either Benny Moore's 100% fresh start or Muralo's 100% int/ext stain killing primer.
They both have ammonia in them - and make me sick. I wear respirators with them too.

Muralo's Ultra line of paints are perfect for bathrooms with their small tight resins that resist mildew spores from even entering to begin with. You could use an exterior grade latex paint - they have more fumes and mildewcides in them. I just did my sister's bathroom with her veneer plaster walls. I used
Ace's solvent based Stain-Halt oil primer for $10/gallon - and Muralo Ultra satin paint for her walls. Came out sweeeeeeet. She did the door herself, she doesn't know anything about painting. She took a 9" 3/8 pile roller and rolled out the door and didn't even go over it quickly with a brush - I can't even tell that it was a roller! That's how perfect muralo ultra paints level!

-PlainPainter
Old 02-20-2005, 10:10 AM   #17
Pro

747, sorry about the confusion, it is only differences
of opinion, the final decision will be yours. Read the
information from the manufacturers carefully, be careful
and use common sense. I wouldn't use Kilz in such an
enclosed area unless Plain Painter gives you all his
contact information should you need to send him your
medical bills or sue him for lost "seconds" of your, or your
family's life.
Plain Painter, keep your facts straight! I am not oil paint
phobic, I just value the "seconds" of my life.
In fact, both my suggestions for primer, PPG Seal Grip
synthetic and my agreeing with Pro Walls slow primer,
are suggestions for solvent primers.
I know how to spell KILZ. I used that stuff enough
and killed many multi "seconds" segments of my long
painting life to suggest a more appropriate name for it.
Latex primers can be as stinky as some oil especially the
stain covering ones, I agree.
Old 02-20-2005, 01:13 PM   #18
Pro

First sorry about size of letter didn't realize so big. Second I'm now confused. My options on home inprovement centers are menards or lowes. The reason I'm confused is because no one has just came out and said. Walk into store tell guy working you want one gallon of this primer and one gallon of this paint. Could you please just tell me that. I don't understand is latex enamel oilbased or not I don't no. I'm begging you please just tell me exactly by name what to ask for when I walk in door. I'm not a expert like you guys. I'm a pilot with american airlines. I'm single i spend alot of time in hotels waiting to fly a plane back to ORD(Chicago Ohare) I always bring my laptop with me. Every hotel has plug in internet access. Its because I spend so much time traveling and not a home that the bathroom walls are flacking so bad. You see there a two bathrooms next to each other they aren't big. Just vanity toliet combo tub and shower. 2 nd bathroom is ceramic tile. 1st bathroom where problem is just has like fiberglass around tub walls. You guys no what i mean it like plastic. We do for a 100 % fact have a ace hardware. My nephew works for chemical manufacturing plant He says he has filtered respiratior no problem. Bathroom has window but no fan. Once again please just tell me what primer and paint to ask for. Thank you George z and plainpaper and pro wall guy for responding. In the event you guys every have and airport questions or need name of hotel in city traveling to that has nice rooms at a good price please don't hesitate to ask me or any fling questions. The house built in 63 I think they were rough drywall. Meaning in utility room walls are rough but not smooth. I think when built they must have put a thin coat of plaster on them. Wall in bathroom are in bad shape will have to scrap and use 80 grit paper then I guess per your expertise change over to smoother paper for final sanding 120 or 150 grit. Well I don't no what more to say besides I'm just a pilot who is a home improvement tv addict. Please once again thanks and be specific with what I need to purchase.....Todd(747) :Thumbs:
Old 02-20-2005, 02:29 PM   #19
Pro

All three of us are trying to help. We Just don't always agree, sorry.
We can give you the options and you have to decide yourself based
on the conflicting info provided. Let me summarize your options:

Finish coat-Any paint that the sales rep will tell you is rated
for that surface. Read the label anyway.
Sandpaper: your conclusion is correct.
Primer: Option 1 KILZ or COVERSTAIN
Option 2 lower odour stain oil primer like PPG Seal Grip,
Zinsser's Odorless or similar, I don't know what
these stores carry.
Option 3 Regular interior oil based primer(dries overnight)
If you don't know if latex enamel is oil based (it is water based)
you should not be attempting this yourself.This is more difficult
than your standard paint job. Most of us have extensive experience
and training that took years. We are not that good at sharing all
our knowledge in a few paragraphs. These tv paint jobs look good
to the average person but most painters find them very funny.
Without wanting to discourage a do it yourselfer, the degree of
dificulty here is high. I am very aware of the differences between
flying an airplane and painting, don't take the following the wrong
way but can we go to a pilot's discussion board ask a few questions
and come out with clear instructions and info on how to fly a plane?
You have the info, some of it controversial. Go to the store ask the
sales rep for more. Go to painting companies websites to learn
even more. Make sure you follow safety procedures. Learn some
techniques on how to paint. Frustrate yourself immensely, breathe
some paint fumes and cover yourself in paint and dust.
At the end your job will not likely be as good as a professional job.
Good luck and I hope you prove me wrong.
Old 02-20-2005, 02:31 PM   #20
Pro

Sorry for the confusion 747, if you going to Home Depot - just get PREMIUM PLUSŪ Interior Enamel Undercoater Primer & Sealer No. 75. That is a 100% acrylic enamel undercoater that should work great for you. And then pick the sheen you like, typically satin for bathroom walls, and semi-gloss for trim, again go for Behr premium plus satin and semi-gloss enamel. I personally don't like behr products and so do not most of the guys here. But to be honest - I have seen a friend get great results from it. And I think you should do ok, if you go through this procedure and are unhappy with the results - then start to investigate independent local paint dealers, they have better products. But I think the Premium plus is probably darn good.

George get your facts straight, as for slow drying solvent primers, here is a little interesting tidbit I found in another thread from Prowallguy as to his favorite primer "For the bare wood, I still love the B-I-N" - Prowallguy. Yikes!

HUH? And I thought bin was an alcohol white pigmented shellac - well last time I looked that is the fastest upon the very fastest of drying paints. And would lend me to suspect it is probably worse than normal quick dry primers.
Yeah great for knots - but as total primer for wood? I don't think so.

And didn't I give advice on what to wear as to respirators and opening up windows? And as he just described these are small bathrooms - probably the tile is half way up the wall - you can bang one of them out with coverstain while holding your breath.

Another thing, 747, for maximum stain killing ability and the ability to make long lasting finish - wait at least 4 hours before topcoating or preferably overnight.

-PlainPainter