One Coat Paint?

Old 01-27-2007, 05:12 PM   #1
Pro

Trade: Porch and Deck Builder
Rewards Points: 1,108

One Coat Paint?

I have a rental unit to paint for the owner. He wants to save a few bucks by doing one coat if it will work, (understandable since it's a rental). On the walls are light greens and tans as well as light peach, (ugly). I'm thinking tan over tan, tan over green, and he wants off white over the peach. I think tan over tan I can cover in one coat. Tan over light green...dunno. White over peach, doubtful.

Am I about right here? I know of Superpaint and Duration, does Benjamin Moore have a "one coat paint"?

Oh yeah, trim is white, so no biggie there. about 3000sq feet of wall space by the way, and............drumrolll.......14 foot ceilings! 1894 mansion divided up into units.

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Old 01-27-2007, 05:16 PM   #2
Back from the dead...

Trade: Paperhanger/Painter
Rewards Points: 2,504

Re: One Coat Paint?

There is no thing such as 'one-coat paint'.

Old 01-27-2007, 05:32 PM   #3
...jammin

Trade: Rock Disciple
Rewards Points: 2,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProWallGuy View Post
There is no thing such as 'one-coat paint'.
Ditto
No such animal

Think about it
If there was nobody would use anything but
I have never used this crap before and I pray to the paint gods that I never have to use it again, I would rather use Behr
Old 01-27-2007, 05:40 PM   #4
Pro

Trade: Paint and wallpaper
Rewards Points: 150

I agree with the above opinions. No way you'll change colors and cover in one coat unless he's happy with substandard work. If the walls were in perfect condition and you were painting with the same exact color then maybe.
Old 01-27-2007, 05:40 PM   #5
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by slickshift View Post
Ditto
No such animal

Think about it
If there was nobody would use anything but
I agree. It's just that everyone goes on and on about Duration and Superpaint that it's hard not to fall for the hype. I've never used the stuff, so I thought I would ask
Old 01-27-2007, 06:37 PM   #6
Pro Painter

Trade: Painting Contractor
Rewards Points: 1,000

Super paint and duration both require two coats. I can scan the page from the coating systems catalog if necessary.
Old 01-27-2007, 07:06 PM   #7
Pro

Trade: remodeling general contractor
Rewards Points: 500

I've said it forever, so here it is again. The only place "one coat paint" exists is in the mind of the paint salesman. In this particular situation (rental) you could probably cover the same color with one coat of top quality just to freshen it up, but it will not look it's best, and changing colors is definately not going to work.

And be warned that the people who tell you they just want to do some sub standard practice and that will be good enough because they want to save money, will not remember those instructions when they are telling you that you have to apply another coat before they will pay..I gaurantee that!!!!!!!!!!!.
Old 01-27-2007, 07:34 PM   #8
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by troubleseeker View Post

And be warned that the people who tell you they just want to do some sub standard practice and that will be good enough because they want to save money, will not remember those instructions when they are telling you that you have to apply another coat before they will pay..I gaurantee that!!!!!!!!!!!.
I appreciate that. This is a difficult client. I am limiting my scope of work at evey step. He has other things to be done, but I first want to see how this works out. I'm sure you already know how this will end.
Old 01-27-2007, 09:16 PM   #9

Rewards Points: 25
Send a message via ICQ to Kashmir

Quote:
Originally Posted by AAPaint View Post
Super paint and duration both require two coats. I can scan the page from the coating systems catalog if necessary.
Would love two see the page you are talking about
Old 01-27-2007, 09:19 PM   #10

Send a message via ICQ to Kashmir

You might want to check out BM's new Aura (not sure about the spelling) paint. It sounds like what you are looking for. It's not available everywhere yet---haven't tried it yet. Runs about $50 per gallon supposedly
Old 01-27-2007, 09:25 PM   #11
Pro Painter

Trade: Painting Contractor
Rewards Points: 1,000

I can still scan it if you want, but it's basically the same as you'll see here.

Quote:
Block
1 ct. Loxon Block Surfacer
2 cts. SuperPaint Interior Satin Latex
Drywall
1 ct. PrepRite Classic Primer
Plaster
1 ct. PrepRite Wall and Wood Primer
or PrepRite Masonry Primer
Masonry
1 ct. PrepRite Masonry Primer
Wood
1 ct. PrepRite Wall and Wood Primer
or PrepRite Classic Primer
This is for super paint interior satin latex, and can be verified at this link: http://www.sherlink.com/sher-link/Im...-link/temp/dp/
Old 01-27-2007, 11:57 PM   #12

Trade: painting

[QUOTE=Chris G;184323]I have a rental unit to paint for the owner. He wants to save a few bucks by doing one coat if it will work, (understandable since it's a rental). On the walls are light greens and tans as well as light peach, (ugly). I'm thinking tan over tan, tan over green, and he wants off white over the peach. I think tan over tan I can cover in one coat. Tan over light green...dunno. White over peach, doubtful.
/[QUOTE]

If there is MAB paint in Toronto, I would suggest MAB Eclipse "Cover In One Coat" paint (it says so right on the front label). However, the light green and light peach walls must be of a flat finish in order for the Eclipse (of another color) to cover well; if the existing paint on these walls is not a flat finish (e.g. eggshell/satin), the Eclipse won't cover properly unless the walls are first primed with any flat paint/primer, which of course defeats the purpose.. I have had good results using the product on new drywall (1 coat of white primer and 1 Eclipse topcoat of any color), as well as on flat painted surfaces.

I get the Eclipse at ~$33/gal, which is not high. The product is formulated a bit 'thickly' --cutting in is therefore slower as the brush won't move freely, and speedy rolling will likely create holidays. I would prefer two topcoats of regular paint any day.

Last edited by jack75; 01-28-2007 at 12:02 AM. Reason: quotation..
Old 01-28-2007, 12:47 AM   #13
Pro

Trade: Painter

Keep in mind that anyone who ever printed instructions is selling their product. If the salesman says it covers in one coat, he's trying to sell to a targeted group.

If sherwin williams says you have to apply Preprite just to change a color, their hoodwinking you too. Each can of SW Superpaint gives instructions on how you have wash, sand, prime and paint, and it implies that the warranty won't be good unless you follow their directions. Poppycock. SW has stores set up for contractors and other stores set up for the retail consumer. We aren't retail consumers.

Your original post is a very good start on this type of job. Don't let people fool you into thinking you're a substandard painter. You'll wind up pricing yourself right out of a job.

do this, instead of superpaint, get promar 200. I'm only talking about flat. On oily stains, use a spray can of kilz. Give the kilz-ed spots a quick sanding with used 100 grit. For the primed spots and marks on the wall, prepaint them with the roller, lightly. (Use a sw contractors wool 3/4 roller. It's the most expensive roller, but you'll see why when you use it. One roller will do this whole job for you and then some.) Then roll the walls out, one coat. Tan is then done.

For the other colors, lay the paint on heavy where you cut in. You will need to go back with the brush a little bit, but not two full coats. Roll out a wall, and if it doesn't completley cover, immediatly go back and roll the same wall out again. This is the best way to do it without two complete coats.

A rental is a rental. Managers have turnover and need the work done cheaply. If not, they will get someone else. You go for it dude. Trust me on the pro mar 200. If my advice is faulty, I'll come and paint it for you myself, for nothing. 3000 sq/ft. is a hell of a lot of work at 14ft high. If you try and do it like a custom home you'll lose your ass.

Last edited by Joewho; 01-28-2007 at 02:16 AM.
Old 01-28-2007, 02:11 PM   #14
Mike Danahy

Trade: Signature Painter
Rewards Points: 504

Colour match the existing colours, located what there lrv would be (use the index), should the answer be 25 or so then use a 25 lrv version but in tan... This would be your best bet, (works like finding a shade of grey to match a red)... However, if you are actually going to do this, you might just want to skip to doing 2 coats.
Old 01-28-2007, 02:37 PM   #15
Pro

Trade: Builder, Additions, large remodels...Lately also small remodels.......

We're finishing a remodel right now where the paint we matched was Bengy Moore's Aura and I was shocked at the price ($50. a gallon!), but I was told (by the salesman) that it would actually save me money because it didn't need a primer coat, even on new drywall, and that it often covered in one coat.

I was doubtful but had my guys apply it the way he said and I must say it's probably the best paint we've ever used.

It wasn't one coat on the big color changes but it worked well on similar colors and worked well on the bare drywall.

I really couldn't tell that it was just one coat over fresh rock with no primer. Closest thing I've seen to a one coat paint yet.

Wack
Old 01-28-2007, 06:46 PM   #16
Pro

Trade: Painting
Rewards Points: 250

I can cover in one coat, but it will all be with a brush!

Seriously, there are certain colors that I can get in one coat (given that the wall isn't too porous or has too high of a sheen). It really has to do with the color than the paint (given youre not buying the bottom of the barrel). Certain pigments in paints are more solid, while others are more transparent. As long are you are using a good quality roller and a good application method (I do one vertical strip all the way up and down, with each one over lapping, I also use high solid paints so they start to dry really fast so it kinda like a 2 coat.)

However, most of the colors people tend to like have whats called more color saturation. This means they tend to have more of the transparent pigments or a deeper base (meaning less titanium dioxide, which means more transparent).

The house I'm doing now definitely requires 2 if not 3 coats, but the colors buyer has been using are really nice.
Old 01-28-2007, 06:59 PM   #17
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by metomeya View Post

However, most of the colors people tend to like have whats called more color saturation. This means they tend to have more of the transparent pigments or a deeper base (meaning less titanium dioxide, which means more transparent).

The house I'm doing now definitely requires 2 if not 3 coats, but the colors buyer has been using are really nice.
Well, I went out and bought Promar 200. I'm using high quality rollers and Purdy Brushes. The colours are really nice. Urban Putty, (lrv 54). And Alabaster (lrv 83). I actually had never read or heard of lrv before, (thanks Danahy!). Greek Villa on the trim. I'll let you know how it goes. Any guesses?
Old 01-28-2007, 07:14 PM   #18
Pro

I've worked in a paint department for 2 years color matching and mixing paint, I got really darn good at color matching, but still simply looking at a color and telling if it will cover in one coat is hard. Typically if you can look at what pigment number or symbols and figure out whats in there you can sometimes tell as there are still other factors (for example, titanium dioxide, and yellow oxide are very high hiding, but NOT when by themselves, the brown pigments used you would think would be hide hiding but aren't, but brown paints can be if they use black lamp, and yellow oxide as pigments as most do, but some use really transparent bases, etc.)

So like I said lots of factors (you learn this when your color matching machine doesn't work, and you become the goto guy for color matching), but basically the more different solid pigments used the better chance of one coat coverage.
Old 01-28-2007, 09:05 PM   #19
Pro

My sister once asked me to paint her house and I did two coats everywhere with Ace Royal touch interior satin paint. All her walls were veneer plaster that had wallpaper on them for 50 years. Once everything was cleaned up I went to town priming and painting. At the end of the job - she wanted her kitchen painted this bold blue against her bright white cabinets. I primed the walls with ppg's oil based max kill - just stock white primer, didn't even add any dark pigment to the mix. Then I cut the walls in with a purdy 100% champagne nylon brush and rolled on one coat of paint - absolute perfect coverage with blue paint which is a transparent pigment! I do get good results with beiges over white walls - and mostly when working with vinyl type acrylic interior paints. 100% acrylic, altough better quality, lack the coverage potential of vinyl acrylics.
Old 01-29-2007, 05:10 PM   #20
Pro

Wow, so vinyl acrylics, cover better than 100% acrylic?

Thats a new one. They are a high quality paint though?

Cause most vinyl acrylics are at the lower end meaning they have less solids. The ones I told never covered in one coat. Was the the Ace Royal again when you did the blue?