Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

OLD unprotected cedar siding

7K views 4 replies 5 participants last post by  Joewho 
#1 ·
I have a cabin type home to do this spring. It has rough saw cedar siding that was treated with Flood Clear Wood Finish (clear finish, non film building) when the siding was installed 18 years ago. Since then, nothing has been done to the exterior. The siding is of course extremely gray, lots of black areas and areas that have turned a very dark reddish brown color. The dark color is mostly under the eaves and on the front porch, areas not exposed to rain. Is this the tannins from the cedar and will it interfere with the next coating?

Also, there is a good amount of black and green mildew in areas. The owners like the "weathered" look that it currently has. I am concerned that since the wood is quite gray and weathered, it is not really ready to be recoated and the mildew has to be killed, but they do not really want the wood to be brightened. So, how do I kill the mildew and prepare the weather wood for a new coat of clear without brightening the wood in the process?

#4 ·
After that long there is no finish on there what so ever. Bleach is not the greatest thing for wood, but with the mold on it I would use a very mild bleach and tsp mixture to clean the wood first. Then apply an acid brightener such as oxacilic or citric acid. Because of the wood's age and the lack of protection, not all areas will come out perfect.

The cabots weathering stain would be a good way to get the color they like and the protection they so badly need.

#5 · (Edited)
Since the HO's like the weathered look and you're going to clear coat it, use a product for the mold and mildew. It will come out lighter, but that's unavoidable. Using an oil based clear should darken the wood again. Also, the oil based clear will yellow as it ages, and it sounds like that's what the HO's want.

Sounds like you're a conscientious painter, but this house is going to be easier than you anticipated.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.