Ok To Polyurethane Over Old Lacquer?

Old 03-07-2006, 12:02 PM   #1
Pro

Trade: hack painting
Rewards Points: 1,000

Ok To Polyurethane Over Old Lacquer?

Satin lacquer’s in good shape (interior trim), I just want to make it shinier.

I’m figuring on using oil base gloss polyurethane.

Or would the acrylic be less apt to leave brush marks?

I’m most afraid of sags on larger doors, and/or bonding problems (but not necessarily in that order). Polyurethane normally bonds better than varnish…ummm.. right?

Any prep other than light sanding/tack cloth? Not aware of any previous wax. Maybe wipe it with some lacquer thinner/semi-dry cloth?

Any thoughts or words of wisdom would be most appreciated. Thanks.

the new guy

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Old 03-07-2006, 12:54 PM   #2
Back from the dead...

Trade: Paperhanger/Painter
Rewards Points: 2,004

Re: Ok To Polyurethane Over Old Lacquer?

I would wipe it down with either mineral spirits, or a quick one of lacquer thinner.
Sand and tack, then apply oil poly. I'd be too scared of an acrylic bonding to the old lacquer.
Test drive one door, and check to see if it works as it should.

Old 03-08-2006, 05:10 PM   #3
Pro

That's the plan...and pretty much was I was thinking.

Nice to get a "confirmation" though

Thanks for taking the time to reply
Old 03-08-2006, 07:08 PM   #4
painterofeverything

Trade: residential painter
Rewards Points: 250
Send a message via Yahoo to painterofeveryt

Sorry to disagree but...would go with waterbournes imho adhesion is better, less smell, ease of clean up , two great choices are rez (unsure of the manufacturer, or my persoanl favorite grahams cerimathane very high build and a nice sheen,,,just my two cents.Jeffrey
Old 03-08-2006, 07:10 PM   #5
Pro

Trade: Whatever needs to be made or repaired
Rewards Points: 5,182

Have you thought about using a wipe-on poly? It's cheap to make (or buy) and gives great results. I make mine with a 50/50 blend of polyurethane of choice and naphtha. After prepping the doors, simply moisten a clean, lint-free cotton cloth (old t-shirt) and rub it on. Both sides of a door will maybe take 2 minutes to do. You have to give about 6 applications, but using naphtha, it will dry in about 30 minutes and ready for the next coat. After 3 coats, scuff with 280 and give the final coats.
You don't have to worry about runs and drips and brush marks and it gives a superior finish. Brushing on varnish or poly (basically the same thing) is old school. This proven method gets some pretty fantastic results without the mess.
Old 03-08-2006, 08:19 PM   #6
New Guy

Trade: House Painter
Rewards Points: 25

Wipe down with denatured alcohol ,light sand 180 grit , Brush your poly. Be smarter than the poly
Old 03-08-2006, 10:15 PM   #7
Pro Painter

Trade: Painting Contractor

Quote:
Originally Posted by painterofeveryt
Sorry to disagree but...would go with waterbournes imho adhesion is better, less smell, ease of clean up , two great choices are rez (unsure of the manufacturer, or my persoanl favorite grahams cerimathane very high build and a nice sheen,,,just my two cents.Jeffrey
LoL! Water-bournes. The bad- covert operative coatings with amnesia!

Waterborne poly truely is some awesome stuff, but I doubt one could go wrong with oil either.
Old 03-09-2006, 06:42 PM   #8
painterofeverything

What are You trying to say ? .......
Old 03-09-2006, 06:57 PM   #9
Pro

Trade: Paint

IMHO, it would really boil down to whether it was a male or female formulation of the lac bug shells that the original shell-lac was comprised of. If the shell-lac was formulated using shells that were at least 90% female bugs, then the surface that you are now re-coating with ???? is actually porous but is oviously on visible when viewed through a microscope. If that is the case, then ANY material may be applied without any worry whatsoever about adhesion problems. Also, if the original finish is actually the female version, you won't need to sand at all. Just wipe them down with any scented essential oil and apply the finish of your choice.

If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to call me @ 1-800- Lac-Bugs, and I'll be more than happy to answer any questions that I can, AND offer you a nice piece of ocean-front property out here in Montanna.

As you may have noticed, this post is NOT addressed to ANYONE, simply because it was not meant for anyone in particular. This was just one of my childish attempts to be funny. You see my wife is always giving me a hard time because of my lac of intelligence and my lac of humor. She is constantly telling me that I am lac-ing in both AND also in one other (private) area.

So I thought that I would TRY to post something that READ intelligently and then I tried to make a joke out of it. How do you think I did?

IMO, and on the serious side, I am of the belief that if you can't find a real good reason to NOT use a water based, environmentally and user friendly product, then use them. I also believe that a LOT more money has been spent on the research and development of water base products in the last 10-20 years than has been spent on the other stuff. IOW, the people with the brains and deep pockets have been spending all of their time and money figuring out what they can put into water to make the best products, and at the same time they are taking out whatever they have to in the oil/alkyd/whatever type products in order to pass the VOC requirements, or at least to a point where they can still sell the stuff at a price high enough to pay the fines and still have a little profit left over! I also KNOW that when I was younger and smoking while spraying flat oil based paints in a thousand walk-in closets without a mask, I hardly even noticed it and certainly didn't CARE about the Varsol showers that I took to clean-up FAST. Now that I am older, I realized that because of my foolish behaviours, I sensitized myself to the junk and now I almost puke as soon as I get a whiff of it. I can hardly wait for the final chapter to be revealed.

I haven't even gotten into the environmental stuff, and I am faaar from being a "tree hugger." But foolish polution, is just foolish, IMHO. So like I said, unless it is proved that the other is better, we go with what's best. These days, that is usually a water based product! AND, 20 years ago, I would have argued just the opposite. "The times, they are a changin!"

Paul
Old 03-09-2006, 09:08 PM   #10
Back from the dead...

Trade: Paperhanger/Painter
Rewards Points: 2,004

Quote:
Originally Posted by painterofeveryt

What are You trying to say ? .......
That was a reference to a movie, The Bourne Identity, a spy flick.
Old 03-10-2006, 04:55 AM   #11
painterofeverything

have not seen it yet.
Old 03-18-2006, 09:59 AM   #12
Pro

Update:

Benjamin Moore High Gloss oil poly

Wipe w/alcohol, light sand, tack, brush urethane

No runs or sags

Homeowners are thrilled... odors kept them away almost all day, everyday

Time and materials…nice leisurely pace, listening to the radio…(no naps though)

Thanks again