Nicotine Stains

Old 04-10-2007, 04:22 PM   #1

Trade: Painting
Rewards Points: 10

Nicotine Stains

Hello all,I am painting an interior rental property next week and the property has been trashed,the worst part is the walls and ceilings are covered with heavy nicotine stains.I am wondering what is the best product to clean the walls with and the best primer to seal the stains.Thanks Doug.

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Old 04-10-2007, 04:59 PM   #2
Professional Painter

Trade: Owner/Operator
Rewards Points: 500

Re: Nicotine Stains

tsp to clean

SW preprite problock to seal

I've done it, these are a perfect combination...you can't and won't go wrong--good luck

Old 04-10-2007, 05:38 PM   #3
Pro

Trade: Painting & Remodeling
Rewards Points: 250

Clean it first then use kills original on everything.
Old 04-10-2007, 06:22 PM   #4
My custom title

Trade: Painting, faux, rock, plaster, texture, tile, laminates, finish carpentry contractor
Rewards Points: 1,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paintguy26 View Post
tsp to clean

SW preprite problock to seal

I've done it, these are a perfect combination...you can't and won't go wrong--good luck
Agree.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian
Paint does a lot more than put color on a surface. It protects surfaces, it can reduce maintenance costs, it can enhance lives.
Old 04-10-2007, 07:03 PM   #5
Pro

Trade: Painting Contractor

http://www.contractortalk.com/attach...1&d=1176249723
Smokers.gif
Attached Images

Old 04-11-2007, 12:16 AM   #6
Pro

Trade: paint contractor since 1974

Quote:
Originally Posted by corky View Post
Hello all,I am painting an interior rental property next week and the property has been trashed,the worst part is the walls and ceilings are covered with heavy nicotine stains.I am wondering what is the best product to clean the walls with and the best primer to seal the stains.Thanks Doug.
Tsp to clean Gripper from ICI to prime. make sure you let it cure for 24 hours before painting.

Jim Bunton
Old 04-11-2007, 07:17 AM   #7
Pro

Trade: Painting Contractor

I was going to Say TSP then B-I-N to prime.
Old 04-11-2007, 04:14 PM   #8
Pro

Trade: paint contractor
Rewards Points: 150
Send a message via AIM to rws

I also use Bin but not tsp as Zinnzer says not to wash with it if using 123 or BIN.In severe cases oil based stain killers can reactivate the oils in the stains causing bleed thru.
Old 04-13-2007, 06:27 AM   #9
Pro

Trade: Painter

And then...

After doing all that...

high humidity can cause it to seep through anyway!

This nicotine is one of the reasons I got out of apartment painting!

I was asked to look at an apartment that was totally orange (not paint). There was orange ash in the carpet... window frames... puke! Oh, and it had popcorn ceilings! I happened to have my wife and kids with me and let them look through the door to see how some live. I also found some money on the carpet and asked my kids if they wanted to put it in their mouths. They said no, of course! I said that this is one reason why you don't put money in your mouth! You don't know where it's been... except now you know one place it may have been!

I used TSP substitute (twice) and used BIN... 2 coats. Oh, and it's kind of hard to wash popcorn ceilings (if anyone has any bright ideas, let us know) Nicotine absorbs into the walls and will act as a time-release even after using TSP or the no-rinse substitute and sealing. I've talked with other guys who have also tried different things. Several of them had gotten complaints that the bathrooms bled. It seems to be the humidity in there.

I started weasling out of these jobs by getting too expensive. The money was good, but the jobs stunk...literally. I've done rentals where the nicotine was running down the walls... I wanted a higher quality of life... blah...blah...blah...

Last edited by TimAZ; 04-13-2007 at 01:38 PM.
Old 04-15-2007, 11:40 AM   #10

Trade: Painting

Thanks everyone for the good info.Sounds like everyone has had the misfortune of painting over nicotine.I was wondering if anyone has used coverstain or kilz oil oderless and if they have worked.Thanks Doug
Old 04-15-2007, 02:13 PM   #11
Professional Painter

Trade: Owner/Operator

kilz is a bad word in here

the cover stain should work fine...actually, check out the site for yourself http://www.zinsser.com/primerapps.asp
Old 05-05-2011, 04:28 AM   #12

Trade: Painter
Thumbs up

I like TSP but in some states you can't buy it anymore or it is labled TSP but it is fake TSP (sodium silicate) I now use clean-n-brite and prespray and stains just disappear and wall turns white. Then I just paint over it and don't primer it. Saves money and no bleed through. I also spray the popcorn ceiling and it turns white and I make an extra .25 per square foot for ceiling cleaning with the clean-n-brite. removes grease and gets rid of the smell as well. Time is money.
Old 05-05-2011, 06:14 AM   #13
Pro

Trade: house painting and miscellaneous repair

I agree with Tmaz ,they look so ugly, reasons to gut building, or change trades altogether, and they say asbestos or mold is bad for ya. I like a garden sprayer for TSP helps soak the ceiling , then lots of dry towels for a handmedownstore, be sure to shower when you get home before you eat.
Old 05-08-2011, 10:40 AM   #14
Pro

Trade: Bath Remodeling

Quote:
Originally Posted by corky View Post
Thanks everyone for the good info.Sounds like everyone has had the misfortune of painting over nicotine.I was wondering if anyone has used coverstain or kilz oil oderless and if they have worked.Thanks Doug
No such thing as an odorless oil-base. Odorless is just some word that a marketing guy thought would look good on the front of the can to balance out the "hazardous fumes" part on the back. Bring a solvent rated respirator if you're going to use oil-base, which incidentally is what I'd recommend using. Oil-based kilz / zinser sticks to pretty much anything. I wouldn't bother with TSP in this situation except for cleaning up noticeable grimey spots, then I'd mask everything off, load up an airless and go to town. After a coat of primer, you'll see what needs caulking and you're ready to paint.