The New Behr Paint Vs Ben Moore Or SW

Old 03-11-2012, 08:28 PM   #1

Trade: Interior decor/remodeling
Rewards Points: 10

The New Behr Paint Vs Ben Moore Or SW

Hi Everyone! My high end painting contractor is telling me that the new Beheld covers better and is just as washable as BM. True or untrue? Also, what are your opinions on SW paint? Thanks!

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Old 03-11-2012, 08:40 PM   #2
Chief Reporter of Spam

Trade: Kitchen and Bathroom Remodeling
Rewards Points: 550

Re: The New Behr Paint Vs Ben Moore Or SW

Welcome to CT!

Old 03-11-2012, 08:41 PM   #3
Pro

Trade: Residential contractor
Rewards Points: 150

Hi Evie, Welcome to CT. As an introduction board, your specific paint question would be better placed/asked in the paintning forum. Behr vs BM/SW has been discussed. Not sure what's new about Behr. What have you heard or been told?
Old 03-11-2012, 09:11 PM   #4
Drywall & Painting Pro

Trade: Licensed Florida Drywall and Painting Contractor
Rewards Points: 1,559

Evie, I moved your thread to the Painting section. You'll get better answers here.
Feel free a to go back and introduce yourself--> Introduction section
Old 03-12-2012, 07:52 AM   #5

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hmbldr View Post
Hi Evie, Welcome to CT. As an introduction board, your specific paint question would be better placed/asked in the paintning forum. Behr vs BM/SW has been discussed. Not sure what's new about Behr. What have you heard or been told?
Thanks for Greetings and reply! Was at HD in Waltham last week, and got into discussion with store manager when opening up account there about Behr's quality. He said it was recently greatly improved and even better than BM.

A painting contractor I work with told me the same thing-that the new Behr has more cover than BM, and of course, it saves him money.

I'm changing color often in their homes, and need reliable opinions on the paint, in terms of cover, finish, washability, how it applies, adheres and low splatter.

My company image is high end and I don't want to mess around with paint. I trust the outcome of BM, so unless I get more info from more sources, I'm sticking with Ben Moore. Also, my company name is Moore Home Staging and Design, so it fits.

Thanks for the question, Hmbldr!
Old 03-12-2012, 08:03 PM   #6
Pro

Trade: house painting and miscellaneous repair
Rewards Points: 500

sounds like you already answered your own question and anything further is moot. Sure pricewise behr seems a better buy if playing the behr prime plus finish to the regal, but the ben is also a prime included and it is cheaper. If I had to learn the behr color book just to save five bucks I say it'll take a while, the moore chart is better and sherwin's is also weak. Haven't the time to custom colors. Shop as you will nothing is ever clear cut. Support your worthy retail service.
Old 03-12-2012, 08:18 PM   #7

I agree on the BM in terms of ease of color shopping. What he was doing was color matching the BM color with the Behr...

So my question still is, does anyone know if the Behr covers better than the BM?
Old 03-12-2012, 08:28 PM   #8
Pro

Trade: Remodeling Contractor/Helical Post Installer
Rewards Points: 1,552

Behr ultimate premium or whatever it is called is the same price as I pay for BM Regal. It wouldnt save me any money. And for now, I hate the idea of using it. HD and LOWES have a place, and I go there a lot, but for paint, I prefer my local store where they know me and take care of me.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Dan_Watson For This Useful Post:
CarrPainting (04-06-2012), Evie (03-12-2012), ToolNut (01-16-2013)
Old 03-12-2012, 08:58 PM   #9
Pro

Trade: Residential contractor

Evie, I checked out your website. Very nice. I would say, if your painter really likes the Behr and equates it to BM or better, then I would try it for your House for sale stagings. I would stick with the BM for your true designer and custom clients. Let us know how it works out. You have to be comfortable with the color palette, the finish and the longevity/wearablity/durability for your clientele. Your painter has to be comfortable with workablity, flow, coverage, etc. If it's a room or a few, I can't see price being a big factor. If you're at high end as you mention, then the cost differential on a room may only be 10 - 30 bucks. That's my thoughts.

Waltham HD? I grew up in Waltham, and it's one of the 3 HDs I frequent. We are working in the same circle. Best to you!
The Following User Says Thank You to Hmbldr For This Useful Post:
Evie (03-12-2012)
Old 03-13-2012, 04:56 AM   #10
Pro

Trade: Home repairs,drywall,trim. Mesh addict.
Rewards Points: 2,744

A painting contractor I know swears by the new Behr paint. Claims they made it better. And it cost less than the other brands.

I'm just throw'n it out there. Maybe there is something to it??

I tried it once years ago and swore I would never use it again
The Following User Says Thank You to Big Shoe For This Useful Post:
Evie (03-24-2012)
Old 03-19-2012, 10:16 PM   #11
Pro

Trade: Carpenter
Rewards Points: 79

In my town we have 2 options, "Do It Best" paint (made by sherwin williams) or Behr. Between those 2 we are more comfortable with the Behr and seem to get a little better coverage on the Eggshell finish for walls. For trim its a toss up. Just my .02
The Following User Says Thank You to miillersickness For This Useful Post:
Evie (03-24-2012)
Old 03-22-2012, 05:15 AM   #12
Pro

Trade: house painting and miscellaneous repair

I compared the tha farrow 'n ball to the behr the other day, they were both flat enamels, and I gotta admit the coverage was better with the behr. I didn't hang around to see which one was more washable, they both scuffed up quick ,honestly can't see the logic in painting a whole house in flat, it's like dressing up to wave at the queen.. Flat in general seems to have lower distance than eggshell ,, or are you supposed to put on three coats because you enjoy painting, on and on and on and on. So my advise is don't drive 60 miles to buy farrow and ball cause your rich girlfriend says it's just soo cool.
Evie (03-24-2012)
Old 03-24-2012, 01:20 AM   #13

Trade: residential and commercial painting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan_Watson View Post
Behr ultimate premium or whatever it is called is the same price as I pay for BM Regal. It wouldnt save me any money. And for now, I hate the idea of using it. HD and LOWES have a place, and I go there a lot, but for paint, I prefer my local store where they know me and take care of me.
I agree with Dan. I'm an ex SW rep, and I often use non-SW paints. BM is not big in my area, but is well respected. We see SW, PPG, and ICI. All have great products at the top of their line, all have poor products at the bottom. It's not as simple as one mfg name being across the board better than another.
Also, there is more to paint quality than covering. You have to consider wet hide, dry hide, washability, burnish resistance (based off of the quality of latex, fillers, and particle grind), ability to touch up, etc.
All that being said, I buy paint from multiple sources.... Lowes and Home Depot will never be those sources. I'm in there all the time, but never, ever for paint.
One final thought, the whole "primer in the paint" concept is such a ridiculous gimmick. All latex's self prime, but none do as well as a primer topped with a quality topcoat. Primer isn't something you "mix in", it's a whole animal of it's own, and the qualities and uses of primers vary just as much as do topcoats. It's a marketing gimmick for uneducated buyers, avoid it.

Good luck!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pghsteve For This Useful Post:
Evie (03-24-2012), ToolNut (01-16-2013)
Old 04-05-2012, 06:55 PM   #14
nick@nite

Trade: Painting

We use a ton of BM Select Matte and Egg, covers great dries very fast so re-coat time in re-paint residential is great to make $$ in and out makes us money.

Few weeks back we used SW Cashmere, stuff stunk up the HO's house smells like diesel fuel. We also use Duration Matte keep it. I am not loyal to any brand I call um like I see um. As for Behr who cares if you have time to wait in line at Home Blowpot you shouldn't be painting. Hey there's always the new Kilz line of finish paints at HD
Old 04-05-2012, 11:39 PM   #15
Interior Renovations

Trade: General Contractor
Rewards Points: 250

I used the Behr paint and primer in one and hated it. Cut lines didnt blend and the coverage sucked. I wouldn't buy it again. The client chose the Behr for most of the house along with a few gallons of the Martha Stewart brand paint. I was actually surprised that I liked the coverage of that paint...

Either way Im sticking with BM.
Old 04-05-2012, 11:50 PM   #16
Remodelingologist

Trade: Repair/Remodeling
Rewards Points: 1,588

I'm not a fan of Behr due to poor coverage and finish texture. I've used all of the major brands pretty extensively and, at present, SW is my favorite. I don't like the SW stores so I keep trying to go back to Ben Moore but they've changed the Regal line to the consistency of mayonnaise and the Aura dries faster than I am comfortable with.

I definitely like the SW matte finish. I've always been a fan of flat finishes for wall surfaces when appropriate but I wouldn't dream of selling a finish that couldn't be washed.
Here's how you figure your pricing L+M+O+P=Price
Old 04-12-2012, 11:08 PM   #17
Pro

Trade: Remodeling

I looooove Valspar contractor series it by far has one of the nicest lookin eggshells around.
Old 04-21-2012, 10:05 PM   #18
New Guy

Trade: Repair/Remodel (Injured & Retired)

I have had a lot of good experiences with Behr paints and stains. Not my favorite brand, but I have no complaints at all.
Old 04-22-2012, 07:48 PM   #19

Trade: residential and commercial painting

Quote:
Originally Posted by THINKPAINTING View Post
We use a ton of BM Select Matte and Egg, covers great dries very fast so re-coat time in re-paint residential is great to make $$ in and out makes us money.

Few weeks back we used SW Cashmere, stuff stunk up the HO's house smells like diesel fuel. We also use Duration Matte keep it. I am not loyal to any brand I call um like I see um. As for Behr who cares if you have time to wait in line at Home Blowpot you shouldn't be painting. Hey there's always the new Kilz line of finish paints at HD
Cashmere and Duration are both good paints, depends what you're looking for and used to. If you use PPG Manor Hall, you'll like Cashmere -- that's the target market it was made to go after. Duration is as good as any paint out there for washability and durabilty, some may not like it's application either -- depends what you're used to. I'm a SuperPaint advocate... but to each their own. I had a guy tell me one time that he didn't like SuperPaint as much as PPG's Speedcraft. Speedcraft was all he'd ever used. Certainly you can't make a comparison betweeen SW's top line vs PPG's junk line, but to that one guy it's what he was used to. Application is opinion. Scrubs/washability, touch up, durability, burnish resistance -- those are truly comparable. SW's top line products are all good. But again, to each their own.
Old 01-15-2013, 07:26 PM   #20

Trade: painting

I use BM all the time (weekly at least). Just tried Behr. Hated it. Poor coverage on whites.
Decent coverage on colors. Won't ever use the whites again under any circumstance