Need Some Input On Exterior Houseboat Job

Old 10-23-2007, 10:59 AM   #1

Trade: interior painter
Rewards Points: 10

Need Some Input On Exterior Houseboat Job

Last year I did the inside of a beautiful 2 story steel houseboat built on a large(approx 50 x 100) steel barge-lots of beautiful wood finish inside-owner has excellent taste-insists on top of line materials-really was a dream job.He now wants the exterior powerwashed/repainted from top to waterline.He ususally pushes barge to local shipyard and has their"workers" paint it-which means any Joe schmoe slapping paint everywhere.This time(exterior has 3 color scheme)wants everything taped off.professioanlly done,etc.No sweat..There is no peeling/bubbled paint anywhere -paint on there is oilbased marine enamel--this time he wants to use a special 2 part marine paint(supposedly beter quality than original used on boat)Anyway-have never used a 2 part marine paint--any one have any thoughts on this subject?We will be cutting/rolling-no spray -thoughts/comments/suggestions/criticisms/This is a million dollar boat and I need to make sure my ducks are all in a row.Owner is purchasing the paint from a local shipyard--thanks for any input!!!
Painting below sea level in Southern Louisiana---never a dull moment!!

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 10-23-2007, 01:57 PM   #2
Pro

Trade: Painting and Decorating
Rewards Points: 266

Re: Need Some Input On Exterior Houseboat Job

if I presume you mean the 2 pack epoxy paints, my only tipS would be to make sure you adhere to the instructions on the cans, when mixing, these 2 part paints often have a maximum working time so don't mix to far ahead of your self and make sure your amounts are measured exactly.
Regards D/B

Advertisement

Old 10-23-2007, 03:05 PM   #3

Trade: interior painter
Rewards Points: 10
Cool

Appreciate the advice.If the weather here will cooperate i am sure all will be fine.It's just a little scary working with a new product-but-nothing ventured nothing gained.Thanks again-bayoupainter

Old 10-23-2007, 09:33 PM   #4
Epoxy Dude

Trade: Industrial Coatings & Linings
Rewards Points: 150

Sub this out to someone with experience and WATCH! It's absolutely crazy to paint a million dollar boat as your first marine experience. You've got to get rid of the fouling and know what to do with the aluminum.

Proper surface prep...
Anti-fouling paint...
Anti-Corrosive primer...
The right urethane...

I would recommend going with HMG or Axon for the paint...

http://www.wolverinecoatings.com/Pic...kids&paint.gif
Old 10-24-2007, 11:53 AM   #5
Pro

Trade: Pain
Rewards Points: 160

Easy job but i would spray on coatings .after u power wash all the dirt and salts off the super structure and freeboard sand all areas to be coated with a d/a sander or pole sander 80/100 grit wipe off all dust solvent wipe clean and prime all bare metal w a marine epoxy like f-150 or 235 bar rust and top coat w/pro line pro thane 4800 or similar product.for a top quality paint job prime all areas w a epoxy coating allow the dry time and 2 top coats urethane.anti-fouling coatings are used for under water hulls ,there is no need for anti-fouling coatings above the water line.most joe shmoe yardbird painters know what what they are doing they dont just let any bum slap a protective coating on a big buck item.

Last edited by ibsocal; 10-24-2007 at 12:08 PM.