Multi Purpose White Paint For Warehouse

Old 09-01-2017, 04:52 PM   #1

Trade: Commercial Framing
Rewards Points: 26
Question

Multi Purpose White Paint For Warehouse

I recently received an offer to bid on a warehouse remodel. The client basically wants a few partition walls put up and wants the current untreated block wall/drywall to be painted white. The block walls are not exterior but demising walls separating the warehouse unit from the adjacent ones. There are two block walls at each length of the unit. (rectangular) So I dont assume they are holding water.

I was wondering if it would be better to use a multi purpose primer/sealer since I dont know how efficient it would be to be getting drywall specific and block wall specific paints & primers and to keep having to switch buckets with the sprayer. It needs to be white but it doesnt have to have 'show room' quality finish. Is a block filler absolutely necessary? Or would a regular all purpose primer/sealer work? I am assuming exterior only, or would interior suffice?

One caveat is that one area of the warehouse will be used as a wash area that will be waterproofed up to about 10ft but past that height I am wondering if I need to use a different paint or exterior paint?

Last edited by ragadozo; 09-01-2017 at 05:39 PM.

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 09-01-2017, 09:07 PM   #2
Pro

Trade: Painting and wallpaper
Rewards Points: 2,030

Re: Multi Purpose White Paint For Warehouse

If block walls are bare then I would prime with block filler. For new drywall I would use a drywall primer. I would then paint all the walls with two coats of Multi Surface Acrylic. The MSA has to be sprayed, it is not so good for brush and roller.
Best thing about MSA is it is dryfall too. MSA is an exterior paint but I would have no problem using it in a warehouse type environment. You can get it in eggshell finish.
Hope this helps.

Advertisement

Old 09-01-2017, 09:10 PM   #3
Pro

Trade: Painting and wallpaper
Rewards Points: 2,030

You asked if block filler necessary, I think if you want a decent looking finish then yes. Plus it is about the cheapest primer you can get. I think block walls without it look like cr@p.

Old 09-08-2017, 10:21 AM   #4

Trade: Industrial
Rewards Points: 156

Not uncommon for us to spray an entire warehouse; ceiling, structure, upper walls, etc. with a white dryfall material. This is fast and although we lay down plastic in work areas, most of the overspray drys before it hits floor and can be swept up.

Then we finish paint (brush & roller) the lower 10', doors, etc. with a semi-gloss material that can be cleaned, doesn't show hand prints, etc.
Old 09-28-2017, 10:35 PM   #5

Trade: painting & flooring
Rewards Points: 120

Block fill the block walls. It's inexpensive, and you'll end up with a nicer finish for a commercial building. Multi Surface is a good suggestion. And you can roll it if you didn't want to drag the sprayer out. Or you could try SW Sher Cryl for the wash room areas. That has great chemical resistance and will hold up to many cleaners.