Loxon Questions For You SW Guys

Old 05-15-2007, 03:51 PM   #1
Pro

Trade: Customer Education & Development
Rewards Points: 1,002

Loxon Questions For You SW Guys

Hey guys,

I usually hang out over in the masonry forum but I thought I would pick the brains of the painting experts. I have a long freestanding Concrete block wall to paint and after reading through the previous posts it sounds like the SW Loxon is the way to go. Problem is I went in this morning and found they have 3 different types of loxon. I need to know which of the 3 outlined below you guys would recommend for my situation.

Let me preface by saying this wall is new masonry less than 2 months old with one side of the wall being just the exposed masonry 8" block with the mortar cut flush and the other side is parged with a heavy coat of type s mortar sponged fairly smooth. I have read on this forum about some of you having success with a one coat application using brown tinting. I'm curious which of the 3 loxon products this was. Ideally I would like to do this in one coat if possible but I know my chances are slim to none. The final color needs to be a brown called saddlery.

Here are the 3 Loxon products which have me confused. 1 and 2 seem quite similar.

I'm looking the SW Painting Systems Catalog given to me at my local SW store as I type this.

1. Loxon Block Surfacer $15.91 gal w/ 100ft coverage
My SW rep doesn't know much about this product and only has 10 gallons in stock. I'm not sure if it is tintable to saddlery brown or not and the manual calls for a topcoat. I think this might be the product that some of you says works pretty well with a one coat application.

2. Loxon Masonry Primer and Coating $22.74 gal w/ 200 ft/coverage
This is what my SW rep says she sells all the time and is what she is trying to sell me. She does say that she can tint it dark tan but will require a topcoat to get to saddlery.

3. Loxon XP Exterior Waterproofing System $30.96 200 ft/ coverage
This variety is tintable and according to the SW catalog I have it is for a one coat application which is also used as a waterproofer.

Are there any thought as to which way I should go in this. I have to place an order in the morning and I am concerned about making a monumental mistake as I'm not much into paint.

TIA

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Old 05-15-2007, 04:11 PM   #2
Professional Painter

Trade: Owner/Operator
Rewards Points: 500

Re: Loxon Questions For You SW Guys

The loxon masonry primer is what you need. You will need a topcoat. I typically use superpaint.

I love loxon as do my customers. It is a nice thick product with good coverage and holds up exceptionally well.

Good luck to you

Old 05-15-2007, 05:30 PM   #3
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paintguy26 View Post
The loxon masonry primer is what you need. You will need a topcoat. I typically use superpaint.

I love loxon as do my customers. It is a nice thick product with good coverage and holds up exceptionally well.

Good luck to you
Thank Rich,
Do you or anyone else have any experience with the loxon xp....according to their own literature it should be able to one coat it, which is very appealing. Or is there another manufacturer who might make something that could do this all in one coat. I know I'm sounding cheap and I guess it's because I am as this job has eaten my lunch although i'm not looking for a shortcut just a really good product that might save me some $$$.

Thanks
Old 05-15-2007, 05:45 PM   #4
My custom title

Trade: Painting, faux, rock, plaster, texture, tile, laminates, finish carpentry contractor
Rewards Points: 1,000

I'll agree with Rich, and yes I have some experience with XP... you won't need it unless it's a wall on your basement.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian
Paint does a lot more than put color on a surface. It protects surfaces, it can reduce maintenance costs, it can enhance lives.
Old 05-15-2007, 06:05 PM   #5
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brushslingers View Post
I'll agree with Rich, and yes I have some experience with XP... you won't need it unless it's a wall on your basement.
Did i miss a post by Brian?
Old 05-15-2007, 06:08 PM   #6
My custom title

Trade: Painting, faux, rock, plaster, texture, tile, laminates, finish carpentry contractor

Eh.... oh my sig, ha, had me totally confused.

Quote:
Paint does a lot more than put color on a surface. It protects surfaces, it can reduce maintenance costs, it can enhance lives.
Old 05-15-2007, 06:11 PM   #7
Professional Painter

Quote:
Originally Posted by lukachuki View Post
Did i miss a post by Brian?
no...that's Benn's signature

as far as the xp...never used it, but I can assure you the primer + topcoat system is awesome

are you dealing with a big area?
Old 05-15-2007, 06:26 PM   #8
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paintguy26 View Post
no...that's Benn's signature

as far as the xp...never used it, but I can assure you the primer + topcoat system is awesome

are you dealing with a big area?
Ok yeah I see now that it is indeed his signature. It will be about 9,000 ft2 which is why if possible I would like a 1 coat application.

thanks
Old 05-15-2007, 06:36 PM   #9
Professional Painter

holy cow that's a lot of area....maybe some other guys can comment on the xp...the difference would be big, but not huge if you did 2 coats

primer + finish (approx.) = $2000

just xp (approx.) = $1400
Old 05-15-2007, 06:47 PM   #10
My custom title

XP sucks as a finish... would work but, for an exterior wall ... naaaa.

Quote:
Old 05-15-2007, 07:13 PM   #11
Pro

Trade: Remodeling Contractor
Rewards Points: 1,014

Loxon XP on wall, Industrial Enamel on Trim

2 coats of XP on wall
1 Coat of Enamel on Trim
Attached Thumbnails
Loxon Questions for you SW guys-dsc00701.jpg  
Old 05-16-2007, 07:23 PM   #12
Pro

Trade: Paint
Rewards Points: 75

Take another look at the Painting and Systems Guide. Look at the Mil thickness you need to apply for the one coat. 15 Mils wet, 8 mils dry. Double that if you want it waterproof. Do you have the equipment necessary to apply this amount of paint? If not you will be applying two coats of it. As far as the Loxon Surfacer, it is basically a creamier and easier to spray block filler. Has excellent moisture properties compared to other block fillers. If the concrete is older than 28 days and has a low ph. Use the regular Loxon primer and followed up by Superpaint. As long as you are not worried about waterproofing or being pinhole free.
Old 05-12-2009, 10:27 PM   #13

Trade: General Contractor
Rewards Points: 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paintpimp View Post
Take another look at the Painting and Systems Guide. Look at the Mil thickness you need to apply for the one coat. 15 Mils wet, 8 mils dry. Double that if you want it waterproof. Do you have the equipment necessary to apply this amount of paint? If not you will be applying two coats of it. As far as the Loxon Surfacer, it is basically a creamier and easier to spray block filler. Has excellent moisture properties compared to other block fillers. If the concrete is older than 28 days and has a low ph. Use the regular Loxon primer and followed up by Superpaint. As long as you are not worried about waterproofing or being pinhole free.
Sorry to resurrect this thread, but I am in a similar situation as the OP except I am worried about waterproofing and being pinhole free (cinder block basement wall, new construction). What is the recommended Lox On products for exterior in this case?