At A Loss For A Quality Exterior Trim Paint

Old 01-05-2008, 10:55 AM   #1
Pursuing Quality

Trade: Remodeler (mostly exterior)
Rewards Points: 10

At A Loss For A Quality Exterior Trim Paint

Hello All; this is my first post here (btw, the forum looks great)

I do a fair amount of exterior remodeling, mostly Porch and deck renovation and re-construction. Over the last couple of years, I become very dissatisfied with a lot of the trim paints I've been using. So, I'm looking for specific Brand recommendations (if you can do that here).

What finally prompted this quest for quality was the results of painting three exterior doors a few weeks ago. I used Benjamin Moore's "MoorGlo Softgloss", and it was the worst product I've ever used, (at least on doors). The paint would not maintain a wet edge at all, and did not level at all. The results did not change with the addition of Floetrol. So, I have promised to go back and refinish at no charge.

So, as you can understand, I want to go back with the right paint! I am tempted to try Cabot's "Solid Color Deck Stain" (the 100% Acrylic mix). I have used this product on decks and outdoor furniture for over five years now, and it is a wonderful product (and cheap @ $26). This stuff is bullet-proof... and you can slop it on and it looks like a sprayed finish.

The problem is... it is a low-lustre finish, and the lighter colors, especially the white, seems to have no lustre at all.

So dear friends, can you recommend a high-performing, mid-gloss paint for those tough-to-paint doors?

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Old 01-05-2008, 11:05 AM   #2
Pro

Trade: Painter
Rewards Points: 510

Re: At A Loss For A Quality Exterior Trim Paint

Cabpt's "The finish" is nice if you want to use cabots line. If BM soft gloss in not working for you, I find that Graham's exterior paint levels very nicely (my first choice) followed by California 2010 satin (my second choice) when it comes to doors.

Old 01-05-2008, 11:13 AM   #3
Pursuing Quality

DeanV.... appreciate the input, but I'm in Cary (Raleigh area) of North Carolina. The Graham product is only available in the Midwest, and the closest California Dealer is four hours away. Thanks again1
Old 01-05-2008, 12:00 PM   #4
Pro

Rewards Points: 250

Muralo owns grahams, their paint is awesome and available in your area. I rolled out garage panel doors in direct blazing sun - went back with a brush to brush them out - they had already leveled perfectly, even in direct hot sunlight.
Old 01-05-2008, 12:19 PM   #5
Pursuing Quality

Plainpainter .... actually, you answered my question in another thread that I found after some searching!

Anyone that has used (and loved Muralo), is in my book...too be trusted!
The Muralo dealer in town quit selling it (the idiot). The closest dealer is over an hour away in Rocky Mount.

But ..... I found a Porter paint store in town and just got off the phone, confirming that they carry Pittsburgh Manor Hall Interior/Exterior Trim.
And at $44 per gallon, that comparable with Muralo!

So, you helped me out before you knew it....thanks Brother!
Old 01-05-2008, 05:14 PM   #6
Pro

Pittsburgh manor hall paints are the bomb - I usually buy muralo, because I truly believe it 1st class paint, and it is homegrown family company. Pittsburgh - you are just feeding corporate imo. But I have to say - it is great paint - and still very surprised the quality is maintained for such a corporate monster of a company.
Old 01-05-2008, 06:29 PM   #7
Pro

Trade: Painting Contractor
Rewards Points: 500

I would second Cabots " The Finish" I use it all summer long in Chicago with good results, all tho I have not used muralo outside I do use the waterborne inside and its great. So I would think there outside stuff is good too. Good luck, and ditch the BM... there outside stuff is over priced and not worth the money...
Old 01-05-2008, 07:18 PM   #8
turning houses into homes

Trade: Wallcovering Installation

I'm sure the other recommendations are good, but my vote goes with PPG Manor Hall.
Old 01-05-2008, 07:22 PM   #9
nick@nite

Trade: Painting

MURALO ENDURANCE is great along with there regular line. Muralo is a great paint......

We are lucky to have several dealers in my area, there interior superfinish and waterborne are both great as well.

Our main paint supplier sells 4 different brands of paint, Muralo out sells them all.
Old 01-05-2008, 08:42 PM   #10
Pro

I used Muralo's superfinish for the first time this year - I was using their Ultra line. And I was like - why am I using the very top of the line? I get great results with normal paints like P&L Redseal, Ace royal touch. So I tried it and loved the results - the homeowner knew it wasn't Benny moore and complained about the stipple!?!!? You ever get that complaint?
Old 01-06-2008, 01:26 AM   #11

Trade: Painting, Siding and Remodeling
Rewards Points: 75

I've really only used Sherwin Williams unless a customer recommends it. I've always used an exterior enamel on the doors and super paint on everything else. Could you guys explain this product Muralo to me? Also, I'm looking at trying out more of PPG and some of Iowa paint's stuff. Any recommendations for interior and exterior. Right now I mostly use:

Exterior: SW Super
Interior: Super, Pro-Mar 200 and 400
Interior Trim: Pro classic
Old 01-06-2008, 08:43 AM   #12
nick@nite

Trade: Painting

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlainPainter View Post
I used Muralo's superfinish for the first time this year - I was using their Ultra line. And I was like - why am I using the very top of the line? I get great results with normal paints like P&L Redseal, Ace royal touch. So I tried it and loved the results - the homeowner knew it wasn't Benny moore and complained about the stipple!?!!? You ever get that complaint?
Stipple? you mean on the woodwork after you paint? We sand betwen coats and leave a smooth finish...
Old 01-06-2008, 09:28 AM   #13
...jammin

Trade: Rock Disciple
Rewards Points: 2,000

Stipple on a door?
I never roll them so no...no complaints on stipple

If MoorGlo was "the worst product" you've "ever used" I'm not sure much else will be better...it's not that bad!
Lol

But I've used MoorGlo and a few other BM products (like metal & wood enamel), Duration, Manor Hall, and some California and Muralo products, all with no real complaints on any of them
I have never used this crap before and I pray to the paint gods that I never have to use it again, I would rather use Behr
Old 01-06-2008, 06:54 PM   #14
Pro

As absurd as this is about to sound, my customer complained about the 'stipple' pattern on her walls, when I used Muralo superfinish. I don't understand what she was talking about - perhaps it's a bit 'loosey goosey' looking? I don't really know - as well, these were brand new walls - and I never found that the stipple looks 'tight' until about the 5th or 6th coats. Just a complaint I got - I don't always understand where customers are coming from.
Old 01-07-2008, 07:00 AM   #15
Doer of Many Things!!!

Trade: Paint and Floor Covering Retailer
Rewards Points: 851

I've got a customer who will only use P&L Accolade due to it's leveling qualities. Other paints I sell that I feel level just as well are too "rough" in texture for her.
Old 01-07-2008, 06:32 PM   #16
Pursuing Quality

Well, based on Plainpainter's recommendation, sent the wife over for a gallon of Pittsburgh Manor Hall Interior/Exterior, in a custom color. Had it written down on a note, specifying semi-gloss, but she came home with Gloss.

After calling Porter paints, they informed me that the Interior/Exterior is only available in Gloss. Went to the Pittsburgh website and so it was. I'll give it a try (since it's my home), but I haven't used Gloss on Trim in qutie a few years.

They make a Manor Hall Exterior, that is available in different sheens (including semi-gloss), but the formulation is a Urethane based Acrylic. Not sure if this is the same as the Interior/Exterior.

Has anyone used the latter?
Old 01-07-2008, 06:36 PM   #17
Pursuing Quality

And on another note; I had emailed Cabot to verify whether they had a product with a semi-gloss sheen. They just sent a response recommending Valspar and that it was a division of theirs'. And also recommended Medallion. Has anyone had any experience with these?
Old 01-07-2008, 06:36 PM   #18
Pro

Manor Hall has both an exterior and interior line of paints - but 'doubles' up the high gloss base to do both. Sort of like Benny's Impervex - I guess. Never used the high gloss acrylic - in fact I have only used high gloss acrylic paint on my own exterior trim - not even on a customers home - well with one I did.
Old 01-07-2008, 06:42 PM   #19
Pro

gideon - oh my god - and I thought I was the only one with a crazy homeowner! It's nice to know I am not alone sometimes - I really thought the stipple thing was crazy! I love p&l accolade - but I think it 'bumpy'. It's tough understanding customers - one minute she's calling the texture 'rough' another minute she's calling it very flattened - which to me is two diametric opposites.
Old 01-07-2008, 06:45 PM   #20
Pursuing Quality

PlainPainter... I must have misunderstood you in the other thread I found. I thought it was the Manor Hall Interior/Exterior that you liked so much (and it only comes in Gloss).

Have you used the Manor Hall Exterior (which is Urethane based), and does it perform as well?