Looking To Break Into The Trade, Part 2

Old 10-27-2017, 01:11 AM   #1
New Guy

Trade: Painting
Rewards Points: 2

Looking To Break Into The Trade, Part 2

So the last thread derailed irreparably. I'm going to try this again.

In between the badgering, condescention, and discouragement, there was some wisdom to be gained from that **** show of a thread.

Yes, I failed to take ownership over my own failure and blamed it on the company that fired me. I admit it. The fact is that it was me not being good enough that got me fired, and it isn't easy to swallow. It sucks being told that you're not good enough.

I should clarify that I DID NOT get fired from my first job. I left voluntarily. My boss even tried to convince me to come back, but I couldn't, given what was going on in my life. I was unable to continue working. It's my fault. I could have and should have managed my condition better.

I won't apologize for fighting back. I don't have tolerate being talked down to.

Here's the thing: you guys have me confused with someone else. You have me mixed up with a quitter. I'm not good enough, YET. I like painting and I'm going to be a painter. Period. I will do what it takes to make that happen. If I'm too slow, ill get faster. If I zone out, ill redirect my attention. If I get fired, ill get a new job. What I'm asking for is tips on how to succeed. What do I need to do?

If you want to encourage me to quit, your time could be better used doing something else. That's one thing I will not listen to.

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 10-27-2017, 01:35 AM   #2
Pro

Trade: State Licensed Painting Contractor
Rewards Points: 6,518

Re: Looking To Break Into The Trade, Part 2

If you live in a state requiring a state contractors license on painting jobs over $1000, i suggest you pursue that course of action. If not, I really have no wisdom to offer. Good luck.

Advertisement

Last edited by Caslon; 10-27-2017 at 01:38 AM.
Old 10-27-2017, 02:27 AM   #3
New Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caslon View Post
If you live in a state requiring a state contractors license on painting jobs over $1000, i suggest you pursue that course of action. If not, I really have no wisdom to offer. Good luck.
Could you maybe offer specific ways that you maintain a productive work speed? It may come naturally to you, but thinking about it, what kinds of things do you do while working that keeps you at a productive pace?

I know I can improve. It can be done.

Old 10-27-2017, 05:08 AM   #4
Craftsman

Trade: Residential Contractor
Rewards Points: 316

Quality tools - brushes, rollers, masking tape equipment, sprayers, thinners and how to use them - can all make the pro a more efficient one.

Learning from watching is also key - lots of trades require apprenticeship for some very good reasons. You tube videos and the like - (i recall a guy called Chris the Idaho Painter that is an excellent you tube follow) can also help on your off-the-clock learning. Learn by watching, understand by doing.

Paint your own house/apartment, whatever. Again and again if you need to. Painting is not brain surgery in the sense you don't need to potentially hurt someone by 'learning on the job' - if you have a wall, paint it. And through repetition of learned technique, your speeds will get more efficient.

Lastly, work for yourself if possible. You can set your own rates and manage your own clients expectations.

BTW - I know fast painters that suck, and I'll never use again - so speed isn't everything.
Old 10-27-2017, 08:03 AM   #5
This space for lease

Trade: General
Rewards Points: 16,434

If you are just here for tips and tricks you really should stop whining. But the diy forum might be a better place for ya.
Old 10-27-2017, 11:21 AM   #6
Pro

Trade: Remodeling
Rewards Points: 2,366

So now you've started 3 threads, haven't answered any questions just whining and excuses. As I've said there are no secrets to painting faster.

Simple question, have ever simply tried physically painting faster? Your issue seems to mental not physical and if that's the case you're in the wrong place asking for advice.
Old 10-27-2017, 11:43 AM   #7
Pro

Trade: Handyman Services
Rewards Points: 9,343

Prep: small patches, keep sanding to an absolute minimum, use a light when you sand, use a light when you apply mud, etc. heat gun is your friend. keep it moving, etc.

Lots of tarps, good equipment, great roller covers, load the roller, keep it moving, etc.

Baseboard is optional? mask it..or roll onto it anyway, then repaint with matching semigloss (make sure it matches, so know your whites)

keep it moving, etc.
Old 10-27-2017, 12:52 PM   #8
New Guy

Thanks guys! Great advice.
Old 10-27-2017, 01:29 PM   #9
The Sheriff

Trade: GC
Rewards Points: 200

Serious advice, just one working man to another. I started out as a hand in a ditch making minimum wage so I can relate to getting started.

1) attitude is everything in this business, and to be frank yours sucks. Need to cowboy up and realize a few things- nothing is owed to you. Not an education, not a living wage, not a ****ty wage, not a wage at all. You are only owed what you earn and produce. No one owes it to you to deal.with your mental incpacities or lack of speed and knowledge.

2) now once you get 1) in your head tell it to yourself everyday.

3) as far as speed, speed comes from practice, concentration, study and efficiency. You have to do great work so you can't move as fast as a vet - but you can : read on your trade, big ears close mouth and learn from those around you, work your ass off to be the set up guy and stay ahead of others, practice efficiency

4) practice efficiency. Make a system and spend time thinking about it in your down time (home). A way you set up your tools and equipment and way you break down. A order which you work and clean up. Never walk empty handed. Walk fast. When you go to the truck carry tools back you don't need same with from the truck. Be next to your work, like set up next to your material. Don't waste steps.

5) leave your phone in the truck.

6) don't dawdle at lunch. Quit and start when your supposed to

7) don't bitch to your boss. Stay ahead of your boss

These very simple things should help get you started on keeping a job.

John
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Jaws For This Useful Post:
Defenestrate (10-27-2017), m2akita (10-27-2017), overanalyze (10-27-2017), Resta (10-29-2017), SouthonBeach (10-28-2017), Xtrememtnbiker (10-28-2017)
Old 10-27-2017, 01:46 PM   #10
New Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaws View Post
Serious advice, just one working man to another. I started out as a hand in a ditch making minimum wage so I can relate to getting started.

1) attitude is everything in this business, and to be frank yours sucks. Need to cowboy up and realize a few things- nothing is owed to you. Not an education, not a living wage, not a ****ty wage, not a wage at all. You are only owed what you earn and produce. No one owes it to you to deal.with your mental incpacities or lack of speed and knowledge.

2) now once you get 1) in your head tell it to yourself everyday.

3) as far as speed, speed comes from practice, concentration, study and efficiency. You have to do great work so you can't move as fast as a vet - but you can : read on your trade, big ears close mouth and learn from those around you, work your ass off to be the set up guy and stay ahead of others, practice efficiency

4) practice efficiency. Make a system and spend time thinking about it in your down time (home). A way you set up your tools and equipment and way you break down. A order which you work and clean up. Never walk empty handed. Walk fast. When you go to the truck carry tools back you don't need same with from the truck. Be next to your work, like set up next to your material. Don't waste steps.

5) leave your phone in the truck.

6) don't dawdle at lunch. Quit and start when your supposed to

7) don't bitch to your boss. Stay ahead of your boss

These very simple things should help get you started on keeping a job.
Thank you. My attitude is pretty bad. Ill work on it. Great advice friend.
Old 10-28-2017, 12:12 AM   #11
The Sheriff

Trade: GC
Rewards Points: 200

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sm412 View Post
Already improving. Good job

John
The Following User Says Thank You to Jaws For This Useful Post:
B.Johnson (10-28-2017)
Old 10-28-2017, 12:37 AM   #12
GC/carpenter

Trade: Decking, Railing, Carpenter/General Contractor
Rewards Points: 524

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sm412 View Post

I think you will find that the guys on this forum that are a little rough on you, are the same guys that started digging ditches and sweeping floors. It really is the best way to learn any trade.

With that said, I can handle a guy that's not a super genius or even a fast learner, if he's got a great attitude and his heart is in it, he's going to stay busy with me. There's a place for anyone as long they don't bring the crew down.

It's almost required that you have a sense of humor as well. Make me laugh and that's and added bonus.

You can be the best Carpenter since Noah, if you are an ass you're gone. No viruses allowed!

This isn't saying anything about you. Just making general statement.

Mike.
Old 10-28-2017, 06:12 AM   #13
John the Builder

Trade: Carpenter/Builder
Rewards Points: 5,746

Quote:
Originally Posted by Californiadecks View Post
I think you will find that the guys on this forum that are a little rough on you, are the same guys that started digging ditches and sweeping floors. It really is the best way to learn any trade.

With that said, I can handle a guy that's not a super genius or even a fast learner, if he's got a great attitude and his heart is in it, he's going to stay busy with me. There's a place for anyone as long they don't bring the crew down.

It's almost required that you have a sense of humor as well. Make me laugh and that's and added bonus.

You can be the best Carpenter since Noah, if you are an ass you're gone. No viruses allowed!

This isn't saying anything about you. Just making general statement.

Mike.

Advertisement