Knock Down Finish

Old 08-26-2003, 04:46 PM   #1
Pro

Trade: Founder of Contractor Talk
Rewards Points: 2,000

Knock Down Finish

I just moved to Florida and there are some crazy finishes on the walls here. I moved from Virginia so I'm not used to matching the texture.

Anybody have any hints on how to do this?

My biggest problem is the knock down finish on the ceiling. I want do put some surround sound speakers up there but I'm afraid I wont be able to match everything up after I run the wires.

Thanks,
Nathan
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Nathan For This Useful Post:
jb4211 (04-30-2015), overanalyze (09-12-2015)

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 09-29-2003, 03:31 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 10

Re: Knock Down Finish

You get a knockdown by splattering on gobs of texture material (I usually use soupy compound); let it start to set up and smooth it (knock it down) with a knife or trowel. You may have to experiment with it at first until you get the idea, and it isn't hard. To patch it, get creative with a putty knife and regular compoud and a small sponge.
I give more particulars on my website at www.bobf.info in the drywall topic.

Advertisement

Last edited by BobF; 09-29-2003 at 03:35 AM.
Old 10-19-2003, 02:46 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 25

Hello Nathan,

Welcome to FL, Sunshine State and land of too much knockdown.

Depending on the size of the texture, you may be able to do it with a hopper ($50-60 bucks) and a compressor. The idea is to shoot globs of material onto the surface, wait until just the right drying time (varies, 5 to 25 minutes) and lightly smooth the globs with a large flat blade of some sort. I use an eighteen-inch drywall knife. In a pinch I have used a clean spray shield with good results (Texture pros would probably run me off for that).

The hopper is good for the small pea size stuff to the about nickel size texture. If the texture on your ceiling is about the size of a quarter or larger, you may want to rent a small texture sprayer so you can shoot some bigger globs.

I use the ceiling and wall texture powder available at homerís in the drywall section. Works great for me. Read the directions, the hopper directions will probably have more detailed instructions on doing the knockdown.

ps. Great site! Harry from www.thepaintersnetwork.com said to check you out.

Old 10-19-2003, 10:56 PM   #4
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumpen
ps. Great site! Harry from www.thepaintersnetwork.com said to check you out.
Thanks Sumpen!

Harry is a great guy with a lot of knowledge about the painting trade. Anyone involved in painting should check out his site.

Where in Orlando do you live Sumpen? I just moved to Clermont which is about 20 miles West of downtown.

Also, what do you suggest for the Orange Peel finish?

-Nathan
Old 10-20-2003, 08:25 AM   #5

Nathan,

Orange peel can be done with the hopper using the smaller nozzle supplied with it and the same mud material (knife not used on this). Stand some cardboard up first and pratice on that. It won't take but a little bit to get the hang of it.

We are almost neighbors! I actually live in Winter Park. I have a stepson who lives in Clermont (his name is Nathan, too), so I mosey over there every so often. I was on one of the big lakes on a pontoon just offshore from the Tiki Bar on July 4. Cool fireworks! Clermont is quite a party town. Good folks!

Last edited by sumpen; 10-20-2003 at 08:37 AM.
Old 02-03-2004, 09:37 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumpen
Nathan,

Orange peel can be done with the hopper using the smaller nozzle supplied with it and the same mud material (knife not used on this). Stand some cardboard up first and pratice on that. It won't take but a little bit to get the hang of it.

We are almost neighbors! I actually live in Winter Park. I have a stepson who lives in Clermont (his name is Nathan, too), so I mosey over there every so often. I was on one of the big lakes on a pontoon just offshore from the Tiki Bar on July 4. Cool fireworks! Clermont is quite a party town. Good folks!
You have got to be kidding me. I am looking for some hints on how to do knockdown and found your comments here. I just moved to Clermont from California and I just had dinner at the Tiki Bar. Wow. small world this Florida

Old 02-03-2004, 09:48 PM   #7
Pro

I love the Tiki Bar!
Old 02-04-2004, 07:43 AM   #8

The Tiki puts on one heck of a fire works show. :Thumbs:

Hello Mr./Ms. Unregistered Guest. How are you doing since the move? A little different than Califorina?
Old 02-23-2004, 06:40 AM   #9

SPAM!!!

Last edited by Nathan; 03-03-2004 at 03:36 PM.

Old 03-02-2004, 09:43 AM   #10
Back from the dead...

Trade: Paperhanger/Painter
Rewards Points: 7,510

Hmmm, guess you have to buy that ^^ advise.
Old 03-02-2004, 11:36 PM   #11
Pro

Trade: Residential Contractor

Not to mess up the party but most of us here call that finish a 'California knockdown'. It's one step over regular drywall and is used to disguise blemishes in poor construction. The eye/brain will narrow its focus to things that are interesting. Texture is interesting.
Old 03-03-2004, 02:16 PM   #12
Back from the dead...

Trade: Paperhanger/Painter
Rewards Points: 7,510

Yes, I agree totally. Some people prefer a texture, but 9 times out of 10 its to make the drywall work look acceptable.

On the subject of drywall, has anybody seen the new spray primer for new construction that supposedly is a high build type primer, achieving a level 5 finish? Can't recall the name right now, but my first impression was that it is just going to allow more shoddy work to be covered up.
Old 04-13-2004, 08:43 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teetorbilt
Not to mess up the party but most of us here call that finish a 'California knockdown'. It's one step over regular drywall and is used to disguise blemishes in poor construction. The eye/brain will narrow its focus to things that are interesting. Texture is interesting.
LOL!

I ran a cross a super for a big builder from California (new apartments) and he referred to knockdown as orange peel, says it was invented in California. Iím sure heís right, just the way some people in these parts add California to knockdown, cause we know what orange peel looks like, right? Itís not like knockdown, and California Orange Peel just wouldnít be the same. LOL!

At times I have people ask me to texture their walls in homes built years ago (the walls look good) because all the new homes have texture, and I try to talk them out of it, telling them texture walls are a sign of cheapness, flaws of construction, or a lack of craftsmanship. Like you say, itís to cover up the poor construction. IMHO, A nicely built, expertly finished wall is much more interesting.
Old 04-27-2004, 02:13 PM   #14

Cool

So what do you think is the best texture if your house is older and was already textured when you bought it? Is it hard to cover up a different kind of texture with knock down? I am not a contractor just a do it yourself girl! Thanks

Renae

Old 04-27-2004, 06:11 PM   #15

Hello Ms. Unregistered Guest.

What are you trying to achieve? Is there some patching you need to do, and you want to match the texture, or do you want to do away with what you have now?

Can you describe the texture thatís on your wall now?

When there is a will, there is a way.

To answer your question without knowing more information, yes, you can do a knockdown over existing texture. BUT, you may have to do some scraping/sanding and add a skim coat to your existing walls to start with a smooth wall. It depends on what you have now.
Old 02-28-2008, 01:49 PM   #16

Trade: Drywall
Rewards Points: 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProWallGuy View Post
Yes, I agree totally. Some people prefer a texture, but 9 times out of 10 its to make the drywall work look acceptable.

On the subject of drywall, has anybody seen the new spray primer for new construction that supposedly is a high build type primer, achieving a level 5 finish? Can't recall the name right now, but my first impression was that it is just going to allow more shoddy work to be covered up.

We use Magnum's Level Coat with a good sprayer and put it on 13-15 mills thick. As I recall, paint dries at about 3 mills. Yes, don't tell the finishers or sanders you are using level coat or they might slack off. Level Coat's purpose is to level the porosity of the surface, not to fix a bad drywall job. We started using it for slick ceilings rather than skimming them with mud.

Level Coat has a good video at their site.

Advertisement