How To Stain A Grained Fiberglass Door??

Old 10-10-2007, 05:14 PM   #1
Pro

Trade: Painting Contractor
Rewards Points: 256

How To Stain A Grained Fiberglass Door??

OK, this is a door that's five or so years old, it's been stained before. The lady wanted me to strip it and I did. I used the green colored stripper that you brush on and let it turn color, it worked good.

Now to the stain part, I went by the directions that said first use a cloth which they provided in the kit she bought, rub the stain on the door with these cloths. Then brush the stain working it into the door. I did this and I really didn't care for the results. Of course when I left the door was still drying, it did seem as it dried that it may look better once completely dry. To me, it just looked like I painted brown paint on the door.

It discouraged me, hell I've painted for ten years and this is the first fiberglass door I've dealt with. The lady said she wishes she'd bought a wooden door, I told her wooden doors look better IMO. Fiberglass doors seem to be a pain to stain. What's the trick? Was I right in following the directions? I just don't want to have to restrip the door, give me some clues on this.
The Following User Says Thank You to Dorman Painting For This Useful Post:
stang (09-03-2009)

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Old 10-10-2007, 05:49 PM   #2

Trade: residential/commercial painting
Rewards Points: 10

Re: How To Stain A Grained Fiberglass Door??

Go to painttalk.com, There is a thread in the general discussion that has a good explanation.

The Following User Says Thank You to painttofish For This Useful Post:
jtolpa (04-16-2011)
Old 10-19-2007, 08:23 PM   #3
REGAL PAINTING

Trade: painting contractor
Rewards Points: 150

these doors to me are in a class by themselves. in my opinion you have to coat one panel at a time, using a thin and very important even coat of product. I never wipe like it says to. you really have to relax, tell yourself this is going to take some time to do, and apply all the skills you have picked up over the years and apply them at a slow pace. you might be used flying, but not here.
Old 12-06-2007, 01:06 AM   #4

Yea I've learned plenty about those doors. Do the staining while it's cool, put the stain on quickly over the entire door. Wipe entire door. These doors (in CA) come in two background colors. A tan and a Redwood color and this is as dark as they will ever be. Just the open grain is to keep the stain color. Biggest problem here is waiting 3-4 days before putting the first coat of finish over the stain. Huge problems if the stain hasn't dried. In fact, the stain kits I get have a two inch piece of fiberglass to stain after staining the door so you can use the tape adhesion test to make sure you don't pull stain from the open grains. I hate these doors. $500. each and they buy the kit. If you are worried about the stain drying before you get a chance to wipe it off, a rag dampened with thinner will help. If the customer wanted it darker, the builder or homeowner or doorshop should have had that decision made and not hose you. The way you describe the door you did it sound just like a door I've done years ago. Streaky. One this particular double doors that streaked out, the homeowners loved it. Got lucky on that one $500 per door helps
Old 12-06-2007, 09:09 AM   #5
Tin Man

Trade: painter/owner
Rewards Points: 25

First gel stain.....they need to stick that stuff where the sun don't shine. We all know the problems we have with that stuff. The problem staining a fiberglass door is the stain has nothing to bite on to. So to fix that problem, you need to prime the fiberglass with a good latex flat exterior paint. Just one coat, tinted to a wood color, light beige pine or maple in color. Let dry for several hours. Then when dry don't sand. This gives the stain something to bite on to. Now get the oil stain and color you want. I use Min wax, but don't use gel stain. Now brush your stain on your door. Do not wipe oil stain off with a rag, leave it full color applied. Let stain dry for 24 hrs. After dry, if you want it a little darker, then mix a little oil stain in your oil polyurethane to the darkness you want, don't put to much stain in mix or your door will get to dark. This is your toning step. After that dries ,then give your doors two more coats of oil polyurethane. Your doors will turn out flawless..... This does really works......Now lets say you have a door on the inside that has been painted white semi gloss.. And it's not peeling, then sand to remove all shine then prime, and give the new finish something to bite on to. Now to stain, repeat steps as stated above.....Exterior doors that are not peeling, use steps as stated above, with the only difference use a oil primer flat on a oil finished door. And use steps as stated above for staining doors..... As i stated above ,this really works......27 long,long,long, years in this trade. This method also works on metal doors, and 6 panel hardboard prehung doors....... Oh by the way welcome to faux finishing......
adapco dev.,llc (03-23-2010)
Old 12-06-2007, 09:34 PM   #6

Faux finishing is exactly what it is isn't it? My door stain kits won't warranty the door if it doesn't have their undercoat under the stain. Figures. They do sell it, tint it and ship it to you. You know if you want to try to do something different, after you stain the entire door, wipe the entire door with one side of one rag only. You are evenly removing a small amount of stain from the door. Then wipe it again the same way with a new rag. Then again with a clean rag and you might find it's the easiest way to evenly remove the stain from the perceived closed grain areas. Give it a shot. In CA we don't have certain products available to other states. Thank you California air resources board. Good luck Jeff. Are you a production painter, custom, commercial, or like me, and paint whatever the hell will stand still for you?
Old 12-06-2007, 10:11 PM   #7
Pro

Trade: Paperhanger/painting contractor
Rewards Points: 150

Quote:
Originally Posted by painter jeff View Post
First gel stain.....they need to stick that stuff where the sun don't shine. We all know the problems we have with that stuff. The problem staining a fiberglass door is the stain has nothing to bite on to. So to fix that problem, you need to prime the fiberglass with a good latex flat exterior paint. Just one coat, tinted to a wood color, light beige pine or maple in color. Let dry for several hours. Then when dry don't sand. This gives the stain something to bite on to. Now get the oil stain and color you want. I use Min wax, but don't use gel stain. Now brush your stain on your door. Do not wipe oil stain off with a rag, leave it full color applied. Let stain dry for 24 hrs. After dry, if you want it a little darker, then mix a little oil stain in your oil polyurethane to the darkness you want, don't put to much stain in mix or your door will get to dark. This is your toning step. After that dries ,then give your doors two more coats of oil polyurethane. Your doors will turn out flawless..... This does really works......Now lets say you have a door on the inside that has been painted white semi gloss.. And it's not peeling, then sand to remove all shine then prime, and give the new finish something to bite on to. Now to stain, repeat steps as stated above.....Exterior doors that are not peeling, use steps as stated above, with the only difference use a oil primer flat on a oil finished door. And use steps as stated above for staining doors..... As i stated above ,this really works......27 long,long,long, years in this trade. This method also works on metal doors, and 6 panel hardboard prehung doors....... Oh by the way welcome to faux finishing......
With all due respect Mr. Tin Man, I've had excellent results using gel stain on fiberglass doors. In fact, it has given the best results.

S B Bolson & Sons
Old 12-26-2007, 04:39 PM   #8

Nice looking door. Don't you hate it when they want it darker and you have to explain you have to paint it darker to stain it darker?