How To Make Painting Bids

Old 12-22-2007, 10:38 AM   #1

Trade: Interior

How To Make Painting Bids

I've started my own business, sole prop. I'm not experienced in the actually bidding process. I'm putting in bids at various apartment complexes around town. I don't want to just print off a folder of stuff and hand it in and look stupid. Can anyone tell me how to professional put one together? Like what all I need to include besides costs, insurance info etc. Can I just print off all my info, staple it , put it in a binder and give it to them or are there certain ways you need to setup a painting bid? Just looking for some help, thanks a lot! The last bid I put in was simply a page of costs/prices, a page of refernces and experience, a page of work history and a page of insurance and company information.

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Old 12-22-2007, 10:42 AM   #2
Pro

Trade: Painting

Re: How To Make Painting Bids

Shoot me an email and I will help you as much as I can. This forum can be full of huge egos sometimes so don't be surprised if you get some douchey responses.

Old 12-22-2007, 11:09 AM   #3
Pro

Trade: Painting Contractor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Any Season View Post
Shoot me an email and I will help you as much as I can. This forum can be full of huge egos sometimes so don't be surprised if you get some douchey responses.
, i thougt i was the only one who thaught that

we do repaint for ho only.

Our folder with company logo on it has in it

Warranty
Guarantee of quality
Ins certificate
Buiness licence
Refs
Helpful question when hiring a contractor
Detail scope of work
A Custom Contract.
Brocures on paint products

I call this package the silent salesmen.

Things i have thought about putting in it include pictures of before and after, along with testimony's

thanks
dave
The Following User Says Thank You to Dave Mac For This Useful Post:
Workaholic (04-12-2009)
Old 01-01-2008, 08:59 AM   #4

Trade: int/ext painting

Dave Mac what type of warranties do you give? How do you include a guarauntee of quality in your packet? I like the idea of your silent salesman.
Old 01-01-2008, 03:28 PM   #5
Pro

For exterior i give a certain amount of year, on the labor against peeling and such. Not interior, no need.

On my quality guaranttee, if their not happy, we will paint untill they are. I do have things in their to help protect myself such as in case of a iisue arise's a third part may be brought in for the final decision. Never had a issue, if their is something not right I want to make it right, and if they are nit picking, I will let them know, usually not a issue at all.
Old 01-01-2008, 05:00 PM   #6
nick@nite

Quote:
Originally Posted by AaronMullet View Post
I've started my own business, sole prop. I'm not experienced in the actually bidding process. I'm putting in bids at various apartment complexes around town. I don't want to just print off a folder of stuff and hand it in and look stupid. Can anyone tell me how to professional put one together? Like what all I need to include besides costs, insurance info etc. Can I just print off all my info, staple it , put it in a binder and give it to them or are there certain ways you need to setup a painting bid? Just looking for some help, thanks a lot! The last bid I put in was simply a page of costs/prices, a page of refernces and experience, a page of work history and a page of insurance and company information.
checkout actcontractorforms.com or snappyforms.com
Old 01-01-2008, 06:21 PM   #7
Pro

DaveMac - I don't understand about the customer not being happy guarantee? If a customer contracts you to put on two coats - and you put it on according to manufacturer specs - how can you leave it in the customers hands? I had one lady who wanted one coat painted on her house - well this was early in my career - and I ended up putting on 3 coats on the front of her home. What she wanted was 3 coat coverage for the price of one coat - and highly am against this behaviour. By definition, the homeowner should be happy with my work - because they contracted 'me' to do it. If they are unhappy, it is because they are unreasonable. IF I F'd up something - then that's my bad. But I really don't understand this whole make the customer happy routine? I cut straight lines - I roll on paint properly - I give detailed estimates - everything else is up to God.
Old 01-01-2008, 07:51 PM   #8
Painting Contractor

Dave Mac has a good list but I would include a business card, cover letter and maybe a contractor comparison sheet...

If you are doing apts... no need for warranty or guarantee of quality they will skip over all that and look for price only...

Pick up a pack of twin pocket portfolios at staples or whatever... it has two pouches and a place for your business card... one side will have your cover letter on top, detailed scope of work, contract with payment details, the other side will have all the warranty, ref, etc... if you expect the contract to be signed and returned thru mail make sure you include a self addressed stamped envelope for them to mail signed contract back.

by thinking this way and doing this you are already many steps ahead of a lot of paint contractors out there...

As far as Dave Macs "Quality Guarantee"...and/or "Satisfaction Guarantee" He's smart for offering that!! I offer something similar... by offering a Guarantee it not only sets you apart from others but it also gives the client a peace of mind in knowing that they are guaranteed to be satisfied. If you are confident in your work (which i am) you would have no problem offering a guarantee. The key to offering a benefit like that is to have a good, detailed scope of work and to honestly complete that scope of work. 99.99% of customers will be satisfied and that .01% that questions a cut line or maybe they see a screw pop that was missed or whatever ( we arnt perfect) you take care of there issue immediately and with a smile...

If you go into just about any store such as Home Depot, Lowes or Grocery Store as well as restaurants they offer a guarantee of being satified... now why do you think that is?? Make sense now? Think outside the box....
Old 01-02-2008, 08:14 PM   #9
...jammin

Trade: Rock Disciple

Quote:
Originally Posted by Any Season View Post
This forum can be full of huge egos sometimes so don't be surprised if you get some douchey responses.
Not that I disagree with the statement, but I can't see how anyone can post a douchey reply to such an intelligent question as Mr. Mullet's question

And so far I am not disappointed, there are some great replies here
I have never used this crap before and I pray to the paint gods that I never have to use it again, I would rather use Behr
Old 04-12-2009, 12:57 PM   #10
Organic Painter

Post only had a hand full of replies and what a great topic.

Quote:
Our folder with company logo on it has in it

Warranty
Guarantee of quality
Ins certificate
Buiness licence
Refs
Helpful question when hiring a contractor
Detail scope of work
A Custom Contract.
Brocures on paint products

I call this package the silent salesmen.
The hardest part about trying to close on the first visit is being able to leave and still have them call you back!

"This silent salesman package" is great for having them be able to call you back, I leave one on most every few jobs I don't land on the first visit. I think even when you are going to leave that there should be things you may leave out. I would never leave this "Helpful question when hiring a contractor" or "a contractor comparison form" if I did not think they were for sure going to call someone else. It would be very simple to go over everything that is in that pack right in front of them except for those two pages and then follow up with a simple "Can I sign you up and get you going today" and then if they insisted that they need to speak with more painters stick those two pages in the folder after you go over them with them and ask to buy again, lol.
Old 04-12-2009, 01:12 PM   #11
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Mike View Post
Post only had a hand full of replies and what a great topic.

"Can I sign you up and get you going today" and then if they insisted that they need to speak with more painters stick those two pages in the folder after you go over them with them and ask to buy again, lol.

I like that , and do not consider that a high pressure sale technique. I do not want to become a high pressure sales person, but I would like to become a little more effecient and a tad more aggressive.
Old 04-12-2009, 04:56 PM   #12
Pro

Trade: Painting & Remodeling

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlainPainter View Post
DaveMac - I don't understand about the customer not being happy guarantee? If a customer contracts you to put on two coats - and you put it on according to manufacturer specs - how can you leave it in the customers hands? I had one lady who wanted one coat painted on her house - well this was early in my career - and I ended up putting on 3 coats on the front of her home. What she wanted was 3 coat coverage for the price of one coat - and highly am against this behaviour. By definition, the homeowner should be happy with my work - because they contracted 'me' to do it. If they are unhappy, it is because they are unreasonable. IF I F'd up something - then that's my bad. But I really don't understand this whole make the customer happy routine? I cut straight lines - I roll on paint properly - I give detailed estimates - everything else is up to God.
I've had this happen in the past and every great once in a while now. When a customer insists on only one coat, I have two choices: a) walk away from the job. b) PUT IT IN WRITING ON THE CONTRACT AND HAVE THE HO SIGN THAT PART OF THE CONTRACT. Customers will use the one coat coverage as a way of keeping their costs down but also as a way of having you feel obligated to 2nd coat it for free...sneaky arent they?

Most of the time it only happens on upsells on the ins. resto jobs. What I really like is when the HO wants you to paint for the same sf price as what the insurance company pays; that doesnt happen either. I always tell them if they give me the same dollar amount of business per year that the ins. co does, I'd do it, otherwise it's my regular rates.
Old 04-18-2009, 07:31 PM   #13

Trade: dont own a home

what do u get for a squar foot of sheet rock prime and 2 coats of finish
Old 04-18-2009, 07:59 PM   #14

Trade: dont own a home

i have 60.000sf to paint walls only.prime and 2 coats
Old 04-19-2009, 12:44 AM   #15
Organic Painter

Quote:
how to price by the squar footage of wallboard
i have 60.000sf to paint walls only.prime and 2 coats
Do a few searches here in the forum, you will see we don't answer broad questions like that one you asked.