How Long Should It Last? (exterior)

Old 06-29-2010, 07:29 PM   #1
President

Trade: Residential Repaints
Rewards Points: 874
Question

How Long Should It Last? (exterior)

I have been painting, for a solid 5 years, been in the construction business since I was little... My dad was a Plastering contractor and as all of you know plastering, is on it way out...

I decided to go into business for myself using my dads old equipment (he passed away)...

I have worked with none other than the best painting contractors in my area... the top rung guys... we only used the best materials... and I was taught how to properly prep surfaces...

so... here is my question,.... Doing the best job I can cutting very very few corners... using the best primers and paints available, how long should MY paint job last?

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 06-29-2010, 08:11 PM   #2
semi-skilled laborer

Trade: Professional Painting
Rewards Points: 1,184

Re: How Long Should It Last? (exterior)

until they fail

Advertisement

Old 06-29-2010, 09:26 PM   #3

Trade: Ranger
Rewards Points: 10

depends on the color. putting that aside, 7-10 years.
Old 06-29-2010, 10:18 PM   #4
semi-skilled laborer

Trade: Professional Painting
Rewards Points: 1,184

I use Behr paint so I would say mine will last 100 years atleast.
Old 06-29-2010, 11:42 PM   #5
Paintcraft

Trade: painting

Barring things like leaking gutters, ice dams, and other moisture problems, we generally see about 7-10 years. Exposed window sills and finger-jointed brickmold seem to be the first to go. We've started stripping sills to bare wood and treating them with marine epoxy before priming and painting. That seems to be helping. Lately, I've been swaping out FG brickmold for the AZEK version.

Color retention is another story.
Old 07-01-2010, 08:08 AM   #6
Pro

Trade: paint contractor since 1974
Rewards Points: 250

I would agree with what is being said 7 -10 years sounds about right.

Gough I like the marine epoxy idea how long have you been doing that and is it holding up like expected?

Jim
The Ten Commandments contain 297 words. The Bill of Rights is stated in 463 words. Lincoln's Gettysburg Address contains 266 words. The constitution 4368 words A recent federal directive to regulate the price of cabbage contains 26,911 words.
patriot act 56,889 words The current health care bill approximately 400,000 words
Old 07-03-2010, 11:05 PM   #7
Paintcraft

Quote:
Originally Posted by paintr56 View Post
I would agree with what is being said 7 -10 years sounds about right.

Gough I like the marine epoxy idea how long have you been doing that and is it holding up like expected?

Jim
I started using Abatron about 20 years ago, then switched to West System Marine epoxy 10 years ago aboutafter I used it to build a boat. I've had a callback on one house worth of window sills, but the rest of our jobs have held up well. The issue with the troublesome windowsills was not being able to get a good seal against the glass on a whole long wall of picture windows. We made some sills last year out of AZEK, so I think they'll hold up well.
Old 07-04-2010, 05:44 AM   #8
Pro

Trade: Plastering, Drywall, Painting, Woodworking, Stucco
Rewards Points: 1,106

I would say that it's more like 5 to 7 years and that's pushing it
the paints today lose their color in a mater of 3 years, most of the painters I know use the cheapest paints on exteriors cause they call that Bread and Butter money, meaning you go back and repaint every 3 to 4 years cause most of them give a 2 year warranty
The only exterior finish that I know that will last for years is oil base stains which you can't find thanks to the EPA
But I wouldn't count on long term as for your exterior jobs give 2 year warranty and tell the HO's we'll see you in about 5 years to repaint have a nice day
Old 07-04-2010, 10:23 AM   #9
Paintcraft

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankawitz View Post
I would say that it's more like 5 to 7 years and that's pushing it
the paints today lose their color in a mater of 3 years, most of the painters I know use the cheapest paints on exteriors cause they call that Bread and Butter money, meaning you go back and repaint every 3 to 4 years cause most of them give a 2 year warranty
The only exterior finish that I know that will last for years is oil base stains which you can't find thanks to the EPA
But I wouldn't count on long term as for your exterior jobs give 2 year warranty and tell the HO's we'll see you in about 5 years to repaint have a nice day
I guess we've have a different experience, maybe because we're in a different part of the country. As I mentioned in my earlier post, color retention is a different story, especially with the deeptones, but we routinely see 10 years out of a paint job. OTOH, we use first-rate materials (PPG for many years, now BM since our local 'yard switched) and do thorough prep.

We've had a different experience with oil-base stains as well. Those are definetely a 4-5 year life span around here. We've got steady clients whose houses we re-stain with oil-base stains on a regular basis. For us, oil-base stains are "Bread and Butter" money, since we know we'll be back in a few years. It's at the point where we keep detailed notes on the ladder- and scaffold-sets that we use on those jobs. It makes it easier the next time.

Out here in the Wild West, we can still get oil-base stains and paints, unlike the Detroit area where you have some pretty strict VOC limits, right? I remember when the automakers had to make the change; we still see trucks and vans from that era with peeling paint.
Old 07-04-2010, 11:33 AM   #10
Pro

Trade: Plastering, Drywall, Painting, Woodworking, Stucco
Rewards Points: 1,106

Well I don't know what the answer is, you don't see as much snow as we do?
Do you?
and we don't get the sun that you get, we get the humidity and rain and snow which causes latex to fail and yes the prep has a lot to do with paint failing. and here we have so many laid off auto workers that ALL become painters when they get laid off, so the Quality we get is Fair to midland as we say
But that's something that oil fails out there and holds up really well here, strange don't you think?
Old 07-09-2010, 09:04 AM   #11
Pro

Trade: commercial building restoration
Rewards Points: 250

Depends on the substrate, previous coatings, and the region you are working in.

In Cleveland, Ohio:

Wood Exterior repaint 3 - 5
Aluminium refinish 10-forever (you will have fading but no adhesion loss if you prep
Wood Exterior Solid Color Stain 3 - 5
Decks semi-trans or solid color 2 - 4

You don't want it to last forever, we all gotta make some money
Old 07-09-2010, 10:57 AM   #12

Trade: painting, drywall, remodeling
Rewards Points: 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by ModernStyle View Post
I use Behr paint so I would say mine will last 100 years atleast.
Leave it up to Modern to bring up Behr when a quality question comes up
Old 07-23-2010, 10:48 PM   #13
New Guy

Trade: Painter

lol a hundred years... i'm seriously saying that to the next customer that asks
Old 12-19-2010, 03:37 PM   #14
New Guy

Trade: Painting

I've gathered some information about this and wrote a post about it. You can read it here how long does exterior paint last

Last edited by ED_Painting; 12-19-2010 at 09:12 PM.
Old 12-19-2010, 03:51 PM   #15
Pro

Trade: hack painting

Thanks!
Old 12-26-2010, 06:33 PM   #16
New Guy

Trade: Painting contractor

I tell my customers 8-12 years for paint. It all depends on the climate in your area also. The quality of the paint is also important and how good a job your painters did on surface preparation.

Advertisement

Last edited by Tinstaafl; 12-26-2010 at 08:09 PM. Reason: Remove self-promoting link