How Good Is Olympic Paints?

Old 05-08-2008, 11:02 AM   #1

Trade: Painting
Rewards Points: 10

How Good Is Olympic Paints?

Hi,

I am a painting contractor for 20 years now, in PA. I have always used MAB paints but, I have a new customer concerned about costs, customer is wanting int/ext done, (I can't say I really blame considering how prices are going up) and am wondering exactly how good is Olympic paints (Interior/Exterior)? Or would it be classified like Behr paints, which I have found to be horrible.

Thanks for the help!!

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Old 05-08-2008, 05:19 PM   #2
Pro

Trade: hack painting
Rewards Points: 1,000

Re: How Good Is Olympic Paints?

I used Olympic overcoat in the 70's..and thought it was pretty good stuff.

To be honest, I guess I didn't even realize they were still around.

Old 05-08-2008, 05:20 PM   #3
Pro

Trade: hack painting
Rewards Points: 1,000

PS..but if it is...it HAS to be better than Behr.
Old 05-08-2008, 06:01 PM   #4

Thanks for the answer.
Old 05-08-2008, 07:30 PM   #5
Handle It!

Trade: Everything The Union Guys Do Not Want To Do
Rewards Points: 2,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe's Painting View Post
Hi,

I am a painting contractor for 20 years now, in PA. I have always used MAB paints but, I have a new customer concerned about costs, customer is wanting int/ext done, (I can't say I really blame considering how prices are going up) and am wondering exactly how good is Olympic paints (Interior/Exterior)? Or would it be classified like Behr paints, which I have found to be horrible.

Thanks for the help!!
You use MAB, contractor grade paint, because of marketing. The M.A.Bruder Corp./ Building is located next to the Home Depot on Route 320 in Marple, PA. It is just because you were told "this is what Philadelphia paints with". So you do.

It is a decent paint. Olympic is equivalent to MAB.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MAB_Paints

Ultimate Wisdom---------
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OW-cnizLDEE

Last edited by MALCO.New.York; 05-08-2008 at 08:59 PM.
Old 05-08-2008, 08:33 PM   #6
...jammin

Trade: Rock Disciple

Quote:
...am wondering exactly how good is Olympic paints (Interior/Exterior)?
Not so much really
Quote:
Or would it be classified like Behr paints, which I have found to be horrible.
Above Behr, but again...not so much really
I have never used this crap before and I pray to the paint gods that I never have to use it again, I would rather use Behr
Old 05-09-2008, 05:22 AM   #7
Pro

Trade: Painting and Finishing
Rewards Points: 150

I think it's made by PPG if that makes you feel better. Haven't used the stuff myself but I see a lot of cans of it bought by HO's on shelves in garages.

Can tell you I wasn't impressed with the Valspar line. It's too thick and likes to sag out.
Old 05-09-2008, 05:45 AM   #8
Pro

Rewards Points: 250

I could be wrong but Olympic is to Lowes, as Glidden is to Home Depot. Either way I am of the mind that paint is cheap and labor isn't so whatever I save on using an inferior product, I will have to spend over ten times in paint and labor when a crappy paint fails.
Old 05-09-2008, 06:27 AM   #9
Pro

Send a message via AIM to boman47k

Worked with a guy once that used it in a ladies trailer. The stuff would smear or slide more than spread over the existing paint. I told him I thought it felt and looked like we were going over oil paint without proper prep. But, he was the boss. The lady got to crying! Had a rep from Lowe's out. The rep replaced the paint. The boss with "15 years experience" said he went back and painted the whole trailer again. He described the Olymbic as mud and water. I am convinced, in my mind, the fault was not in the paint even if it is a cheap paint. If I thought it was the paint, I sure would not go back with the same paint. It prop covered better after being "primed" with itself, but I think there would have been an adhesion problem, especially on the trim. The coat we put on it together was like trying to paint clear non-paintable caulk.
Old 05-09-2008, 12:02 PM   #10

Trade: House Construction, framing, remodeling, home improvement, painting, decks, and roofs

Quote:
Originally Posted by boman47k View Post
Worked with a guy once that used it in a ladies trailer. The stuff would smear or slide more than spread over the existing paint. I told him I thought it felt and looked like we were going over oil paint without proper prep. But, he was the boss. The lady got to crying! Had a rep from Lowe's out. The rep replaced the paint. The boss with "15 years experience" said he went back and painted the whole trailer again. He described the Olymbic as mud and water. I am convinced, in my mind, the fault was not in the paint even if it is a cheap paint. If I thought it was the paint, I sure would not go back with the same paint. It prop covered better after being "primed" with itself, but I think there would have been an adhesion problem, especially on the trim. The coat we put on it together was like trying to paint clear non-paintable caulk.
I have seen this same exact thing happen...From paint purchased at Lowes it was Valsper if I remember correctly. The isnide of the kitchen that was painted looked like crap as to your comment of painting over caulk. (The customer purchased and there was no Lowes near us). I went to see a local paint store they called Benjamen Moore and the conclusion to the problem was that the paint came close to the temperature of freezing is why there was an application and adhesion problem. We scraped it off since it wasnt drying well. There was a second gal of the same paint we tried a spot and that gal was good repainted it and came out GREAT!
Old 05-09-2008, 07:15 PM   #11
Pro

Send a message via AIM to boman47k

Quote:
paint came close to the temperature of freezing is why there was an application and adhesion problem
This may have been old and near freezing at some point but not when we were using it. The main problem we had was brushing the baseboards as best as I can remember.