How Fast Can You Paint A House?

Old 03-28-2015, 06:00 PM   #1
Pro

Trade: Pest Control
Rewards Points: 521

How Fast Can You Paint A House?

Ok, so I've entered into the complaint phase of having my house painted. The part where you call them up and say, "you're kidding right, you need to come back and fix all this".

The question is how fast can you slap two layers of paint on a house? It's about 250 linear feet, so average sized house. 2/3 brick siding with just soffits and trim to be painted, and 1/3 also has siding. It's one story. Most of it was unpainted on Friday, they had been doing prep work 3 days prior, some had been painted, a little. It's supposed to have two coats. The started about noon on Friday, and were wrapping it up before 4. Can you actually paint a house two times that fast, even with a sprayer?

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 03-28-2015, 06:43 PM   #2
Pro

Trade: remodeling
Rewards Points: 1,697

Re: How Fast Can You Paint A House?

Once the prep is done and any areas masked off, it can be spayed 2 coats in a day. 4 hours including manufacturer's time to recoat is running a little fast, IMO. Check the manufacturer's specs for time between coats. 2-4 hours between coats is common.

Advertisement

Old 03-28-2015, 08:15 PM   #3
Pro

Ok, that's what I figured. I just wanted a bit of third party confirmation on that part. I think it is pretty obvious that there is only one coat.

Old 03-28-2015, 08:20 PM   #4
Pro

Trade: Painter/Handyman
Rewards Points: 2,422

Quote:
Originally Posted by BugmanBCE View Post
Ok, that's what I figured. I just wanted a bit of third party confirmation on that part. I think it is pretty obvious that there is only one coat.
Or two coats and they didn't follow the manufacturers specs. on time between coats.
hdavis (03-28-2015)
Old 03-28-2015, 08:25 PM   #5
Accidental Painter

Trade: Who's paying?
Rewards Points: 1,262

Some will do it like a bridge. As soon as you get to the end, start over. Meaning they run 2 laps around the house nonstop.
hdavis (03-28-2015), Metro M & L (03-28-2015)
Old 03-28-2015, 08:30 PM   #6
Particulate Filter

Trade: Flooring
Rewards Points: 1,174

Three days prep and one day painting? Sounds like about the right ratio. a thirty to fifty foot long one story and soffit could be sprayed in about twenty minutes, one color.

Got any pics of the painters egregious transgressions? How much are you paying for your two coat paint job?

www.portlandhardwoodrefinishing.com
Old 03-28-2015, 08:35 PM   #7
Pro

Trade: builder fl cbc
Rewards Points: 3,138

Look for the empty cans/buckets ?, Did they back roll ?.
Old 03-28-2015, 09:28 PM   #8
Pro

Trade: Estimator / Preconstruction Manager
Rewards Points: 2,166

I hope not if its aluminum siding.
Old 03-28-2015, 10:13 PM   #9
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro M & L View Post
Three days prep and one day painting? Sounds like about the right ratio. a thirty to fifty foot long one story and soffit could be sprayed in about twenty minutes, one color.

Got any pics of the painters egregious transgressions? How much are you paying for your two coat paint job?
I wasn't planning on getting into all that. I have pics I'll try to upload. $3850. It also included ripping out the bottom 3 levels of siding and putting in hardie plank, 8 on a short side of the porch and repairing 4 rotten soffits. I figured it was a good enough price, about $2500 for painting and the rest for carpentry, maybe a little high, but I thought I was hiring a better than average painter.

They didn't work a full day the last day, maybe half a day. There were several places that hadn't been painted at all. Pieces of trim here and there, the bottom edge of the trim above the brick, the inside edge of the trim hanging down from the soffit, most of the corners, the hardie plank and siding didn't get the bottom edge painted, extending down .5-1 inch, if you sit down on the back porch and look left the wall looks striped, it has that mottled appearance that you get after the first coat where you can see under, the chimney was just kinda sprayed at, the garage side door had bad paint that would rub off in little pieces and they didn't sand it like they said they would, they locked the garage door without telling us and when we turned it on it caved in the top and ripped the arm off, but I fixed it.

It just isn't finished, any place I stand out there, and I took a long good look at it with my dad, you see patchy paint, places missed that didn't get paint, very thin paint, cracks and holes from not caulking, it just didn't get prepped right and only got one coat. There were some places with flaking paint that should have been scraped and sanded that weren't.

Of course I'm not a painter, but my first thought was that I just got screwed. I expect when something is painted that it will be all that color, I don't expect to see a bunch of white caulk in all the corners and yellow stripes from the hardie plank and mildew, it still had grey mildew in the corners and other places. I had them painting a bunch of that before they left, but when you miss that much obvious stuff there's just going to be a lot more. I got out there and spent a couple hours painting today as I had figured I could just finish it myself, but it needs more than that, it just needs the first coat finished and the second applied. I stopped and took a look at the rest and realized it was too much, called the boss man up and he's coming out to take a look. He wasn't here for much of it.

Last edited by BugmanBCE; 03-28-2015 at 10:16 PM.
Old 03-28-2015, 10:35 PM   #10
Pro

If it doesn't have consistent coverage over everything, it needs to be redone. If parts of prep were skipped, that needs to be redone as well.
Old 03-28-2015, 10:36 PM   #11
Pro

I wasn't intending on starting a complaint thread, it's a crappy paint job, but I bet they'll fix it. I was just wondering if the time spent would even be enough to do two coats and it doesn't sound like it. It also doesn't look like two coats, so it makes sense.

I'll post some pics and you tell me if the egregious transgressions are just my imagination.
hdavis (03-28-2015)
Old 03-28-2015, 10:44 PM   #12
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by BugmanBCE View Post
I was just wondering if the time spent would even be enough to do two coats and it doesn't sound like it.
Good spray guys with a 2 hr recoat product could probably do your place in that amount of time easily. It sounds like you didn't have good spray guys.
Old 03-28-2015, 11:00 PM   #13
Particulate Filter

Trade: Flooring
Rewards Points: 1,174

Missing the undersides of the siding is a pretty basic mistake, sounds like the guy had only sprayed one house, yours.

www.portlandhardwoodrefinishing.com
The Following User Says Thank You to Metro M & L For This Useful Post:
hdavis (03-28-2015)
Old 03-28-2015, 11:07 PM   #14
Pro

Here's a few pictures of the chimney. Clearly there isn't paint on all of the surface. Under the bottom edge of the siding there is no new paint either but it doesn't show up very well.
Attached Thumbnails
How fast can you paint a house?-imag0430-copy.jpg   How fast can you paint a house?-imag0426-copy.jpg  
Old 03-28-2015, 11:10 PM   #15
Pro

Here's the other picture of the chimney. It wouldn't take a minute ago. If he painted it twice I wonder why he wouldn't paint the bottom part either time. When I do a job I step back and look at it. No way I would have ever let this go. I'm not a painter, but when I try I put paint on the entire surface I am painting.
Attached Thumbnails
How fast can you paint a house?-imag0429-copy.jpg  

Last edited by BugmanBCE; 03-28-2015 at 11:15 PM.
Old 03-28-2015, 11:15 PM   #16
Pro

If they've painted before, they just didn't know or care....

That would be unacceptable.
Old 03-28-2015, 11:18 PM   #17
Pro

Here are some from the same area of a repair job. I was going to just fix it myself after they were done but now I'm going to tell them to take it down and do it properly. Would you put these pics in your sales portfolio to show clients your work? I have repaired several spots like that and my work looks better.

One pic will be separate.
Attached Thumbnails
How fast can you paint a house?-imag0405-copy.jpg   How fast can you paint a house?-imag0411-copy.jpg  
Old 03-28-2015, 11:21 PM   #18
Fire up the BBQ

Trade: GC

3 days prep doing what??????

That's definitely an Earl Scheib special....
hdavis (03-28-2015)
Old 03-28-2015, 11:21 PM   #19
Pro

There it goes. I have to size some of these pics down. Notice the broken piece. Also, this wood appears to be very lightly painted and looks more like wood than paint, if that makes sense. It almost looks unpainted.

Also, these pieces don't match up and there are huge cracks on the end that need to be filled or to have been aligned better.
Attached Thumbnails
How fast can you paint a house?-imag0410-copy.jpg  
Old 03-28-2015, 11:26 PM   #20
Pro

Here's what under the siding looks like. It's blotchy and doesn't have complete coverage, that is, where there is any new paint at all.

And the crack on the end there. I thought that was supposed to be caulked and painted. Also note the corner where the siding meets the trim. That is just white caulk, there's no paint there. The edge of the siding next to the crack wasn't painted at all.
Attached Thumbnails
How fast can you paint a house?-imag0404-copy.jpg   How fast can you paint a house?-imag0433-copy.jpg   How fast can you paint a house?-imag0434-copy.jpg  

Advertisement