House Trim Paint Job

Old 08-20-2008, 04:10 PM   #1

Trade: General Contractor

House Trim Paint Job

I am a handy man and have had a run of trim paint jobs, I think I am underbidding and would like some advice on this,

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Old 08-20-2008, 04:12 PM   #2
Steve

Trade: Residential Renovations

Re: House Trim Paint Job

Raise your price.

Old 08-20-2008, 11:30 PM   #3
General Contractor

Trade: Construction Management

Are you above 40' ?
Chicken ladders?
Step work?
Stripping?
That is where the coin lies .

Price yourself out of it. if your used to making $75.00 a day , raise it to lets say $80.00.
I know I cant compete with you. If I know those handy hoovers, they're always leaving coin on the table.

??????????????????????????
Old 08-21-2008, 12:04 AM   #4
Project Manager HFH..

Trade: GC

Are you a handyman or a GC?
Old 08-21-2008, 10:00 AM   #5

Trade: General Contractor

I am a General Contractor but work as a handy man, I am bidding my jobs on the time it takes me to do the work but totally underestimate my self, I repair every flaw on the house and scrape and paint then prime and 2 coat every thing, Just residential homes no commercial. I would appreciate maybe a formula to bid with or a set price per foot, I dont think I am taking work from painting contractors as I am picking up the work that is difficult to do and very time consuming. Thanks for any info.
Old 08-22-2008, 11:09 PM   #6
Pro

Examine how long it takes you to do something and then divide by the sqare footage to get a production rate and then assign your hourly rate. And then when that's done - take yourself to get your head examined - there ain't no money in this trade!
Old 08-22-2008, 11:17 PM   #7
General Contractor

Trade: Construction Management

Quote:
Originally Posted by plainpainter View Post
examine how long it takes you to do something and then divide by the sqare footage to get a production rate and then assign your hourly rate. And then when that's done - take yourself to get your head examined - there ain't no money in this trade!

another t&m jobber

when they start asking dumb questions like that ...t&m