Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

Help, I'm in a contract with a crazy lady!

5K views 18 replies 13 participants last post by  trav007 
#1 ·
I posted a thread a while back about a women who said she wanted the deck railings painted a different color than what I had painted them. I showed her the contract and she was wrong, but said that's not what she had said. I was nice and did it for basically materials. Then she thought that her stairwell was included in the contract, when it was not. I did a change order for it.

The contract was for the woodwork, front porch, back deck, and basement floor. We agreed verbally (big mistake) that the woodwork, and exterior work would be done first and then the basement would be done in a month.

On my contract, I have job duration as 2 weeks, but no start date.

So about a month ago I finished the first part and I've been calling to get the basement done. She tells me she’s loaded up the basement with her dad's stuff so we will have to wait until spring and since all of this wasn't done within 2 weeks. She does want the basement steps (in the contract) and basement hallway (not in the contract) done now though.

Originally these 4 projects were in 4 separate contracts and I put them together and took off $100 for her to sign it.

She is also telling me the decks' floor boards aren't cleaning off very well. I used Porter's latex floor enamel which is a satin finish. The color on the floor is a bright blue. I advised her to go with a semi or solid color stain in the beginning because of the maintenance issues with painting the floor boards, but she declined. Now she's telling me that I have to contact Porter because it won't clean off with a hose.

I honestly think this women is just wacko, but I'm not sure what I should do. Should I say I'm done and take off the amount for the basement stuff and have her pay me?

What should I tell her about the porch?

See less See more
#3 ·
This one seems like she could potentially suck the life out of you, if you let it.

I agree to call the porter rep, let them get involved. Pre talk to the Porter Rep, and let them know what you're going through. They should help to diffuse the situation back to the point where something positive can hopefully come out of this.

#4 ·
Thanks, I'll call my rep and ask him to call her.

I am going to call this women tomorrow and tell her that I will take off what we originally agreed on for the basement off the whole contract and then if she wants this other stuff (basement steps and basement stairwell) done it be extra. If not, pay me and let me get the hell out of there.

#5 ·
Also, what barring would the "job duration -2 weeks" have in court?

Even though it's not really what we agreed too verbally, I know the court wouldn't care. Would this someone void the contract? I just want to know how much pushing power I'm going to have when I meet with her.

#7 ·
This woman is looking for an excuse not to pay you. You can do everything she asks, but in the end, she will not willingly pay you.

Two weeks in the contract is not an issue. Time constraints must contain the phrase "Time is of the essence in this contract" and liquidated damages. These damages must relate to some realistic loss.

You already blew it when you let her talk you into going beyond the contract. Now she believes there is no fixed price/performance. It has become a contest with her, and she holds the $.

I have said this to more contractors than I can count. NEVER drop your price without cutting the scope. NEVER. When you do, you create a bargaining contest that does not relate to price/performance. You're not going to win this contest.

#11 ·
Well I originally dropped the price $100 because it was going to save me time by putting them together. If she had just taken say the front porch deal, I would have wasted time PW and then had to go to another job for the rest of the day. This way I was able to PW everything and then start on the woodwork inside.

The reason I took care of the changes basically free was because she is/was a family friend. My parents haven't talked to her for the last 10 years or so because she has been out of the state though and just started to again. They agree she is now a little off.

This is my first customer is 4 years that I've had any problem with. I've never had a call back or payment problem and I will make sure she knows she's the first.

I will drop her out of the basement deal, but I want payment now and I'm gone. I guess it's a lesson learned, even old family friends will try to screw you over if you give them a chance.

#10 ·
We'll the changes were done with a change contract form, it's just the back deck railing was done for pretty much materials.

Although I'll probably just subtract the basement, Could I sue her for not letting me complete that part? I'm just trying to think what the judge would think. How long is she obligated for me to finish the job?

Thanks guys for all the responses.

#14 · (Edited)
I never put a duration date on a contract. I've put an estimated time of completion...but anything else would be asking for trouble.

We all have had a crazy lady, son or relative..I'm average one job a year where I have walked off..this year was over money..sometimes it's better to cut your losses and run, trying to please a maniac will never get you anywhere...and no matter what you do thats extra,to please them, they will bad mouth you forever.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.