Glidden Paint ?

Old 12-16-2004, 06:37 AM   #1

Glidden Paint ?

How Do You Guys Rate Glidden Paint. I Used All Kinds But Always Go Back To Glidden

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Old 12-16-2004, 07:24 AM   #2
Pro

Trade: underground

Re: Glidden Paint ?

My wife is a bold color fanatic. We've painted all of the three houses we've lived in since we were married 15 years ago. Benjamin Moore is, hands down, the best paint I've come across. Other paints I've used, in order of preference, include:
#2 Duron
#3 Sherwin-Williams
#4 Glidden
#5 Behr

Old 12-16-2004, 08:02 AM   #3
Back from the dead...

Trade: Paperhanger/Painter

I agree with Pipeguy. Benny Moore is my #1 favorite. Throw in a couple local brands, Muralo and Porter, which are good too. Glidden is in the mid to low spot on the list. (these are my opinion, some will like glidden, some won't).
Old 12-16-2004, 08:38 AM   #4
Pro

Trade: Founder of Contractor Talk

Duron over Sherwin Williams? What level are you using?

"He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot
Old 12-16-2004, 03:48 PM   #5
Paperhanger

Sherwin Williams now owns Duron.

Pittsburgh Paint's (PPG) Manor Hall Line is running neck and neck with Benny Moore. Manor Hall is better in the Interior Eggshell line and Benny Moore has a Better Exterior satin. Especially in the Darker colors.
Old 12-16-2004, 05:52 PM   #6
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathan
Duron over Sherwin Williams? What level are you using?
It's been some years since I used it but I think it was called Plastic Kote.
Old 12-16-2004, 08:53 PM   #7

Is this for commercial use or residential? Your house or are you getting paid for a professional finish that will be guaranteed?
In any case my first choice will always be Sherwin Williams A-100 or Super Paint.
Porter & B. Moore are acceptable 2nd choices.
Old 12-16-2004, 11:00 PM   #8
Pro

Trade: Residential Contractor

I have used Glidden for years. The latest Consumer Reports listed Behr as #1, before that it was American Traditions by Valspar.
I use them all because many gated communities only allow certain colors and spec manufacturers. I really don't see a lot of difference when comparing apples to apples.
I'm curious as to how many of you have actually followed up on your paint jobs? Any decent paint should hold up for at least 5 yrs. How many follow up beyond that?
I went to Glidden about 20 yrs. ago after touching up a wall that I had painted 7 yrs. previous. The wall faced to the west in Ft. Laud. FL and caught all of the afternoon sun. The touchup virtually disappeared even if you knew where to look for it. A lot has changed since then but I still recommend Glidden unless it is spec.d otherwise.
Old 12-17-2004, 07:03 PM   #9

My partnership painting and roofing(edpm) company does 85% commercial and industrial work. We started going commercial in 1973. Most of the material used is speced out well in advance and we have on going durability/reliability tests with our three biggest national accounts. We have the opportunity to review results every day and analyze each application. These results are discussed with our major customers each time we bid on additional work. We have over 30 years history on some of their production facilities and can document the paint, application, processes used, weather history, dates, etc. on every job we've done. These companys also spec paint and epoxies from regional manufactures that are really good products that are usually unavailable to residential painters and consumers. Sometimes they prefer SW. One job in 2002 used over 2,650 gal dry fall and DTM. I guess after watching the results is why I prefer Sherwin Williams paints for the majority of applications. Also I can buy SW in any state at my established contractors price.
Old 12-17-2004, 08:40 PM   #10
Contractor

Send a message via Yahoo to Hammertime

Quote:
Originally Posted by LIPPY
How Do You Guys Rate Glidden Paint. I Used All Kinds But Always Go Back To Glidden

I only use Glidden when I spray popcorn. I find it to be at the bottom of the barrel. Behr paint is the next level up from there. I have a friend that swears by it. I just don't see how. I, without a doubt, choose ben moore paints. Sherwin williams is good too.. I just prefer Ben moore. When I drywall I don't have to apply primer to it. Ben Moore Superhide on the first coate looks great. So when I appy the second coate it looks fantastic. I let my customers know this and give them the choice of primer.(I'm referring to light tint base of coarse) I also let them know the color may look a little brighter with the primer. The only way you would notice the difference is if you did a wall both ways and met them in the center. Some care some don't. Unless you're a color genius you won't know the difference. It's barely noticeable to the naked eye. I feel that coverage wise Ben moore is #1. Don't get me wrong everyone has their preference. But if you were to compare Ben moore to glidden you would see a noticeable difference. Sherwin williams to ben moore. I'm sure you may not know the difference. I just find Ben Moore better for me and the customer. I haven't really used anything other then what was mentioned. I have used Dutch boy(which is what home depot carried before behr) At home depot glidden paint is cheapest and behr is their top selling paint.
Most people buy Glidden because it's cheap in cost and Behr cause it's what home depot sells and recommends. Most people shop at the home depot because the prices there at somewhat low compared to paint stores. As for the look years later I find that people repaint way before the "Paint life" is up. If the paint job looks good when you leave, there's no reason it shouldn't look as good years down the road(depending on the lifestyle people live) Depending on the gloss of the paint is a big factor in life also. Some people seem to clean their walls a lot. Not realizing a majority of homes use Flat as their paint; reason being some people don't like the gloss. Flat paint is not generally scrubable. So it lessens the life of the paint.

Using a less expensive paint no matter how many or what primer you use never comes out as well as a better quality paint. For instance, I did a basement a few years back and used Behr paint to paint the entire basement mouldings and all. Well, For some reason I had to paint quite a few coates on the moulding before it really started looking good. And I primered it twice. Well, I did the basement next door. Not necessarily the same way but close. I used Ben moore paint there. It was a lot less work and the finished product looked better as well. The lighting was the same so it was fairly easy to judge and compare. Both customers agreed.

As anything in life it winds up what your preference is...
"one mans garbage is another mans gold"
Old 12-20-2004, 09:48 AM   #11

hammer- maybe stick to hammering. BM's Superhide w/o primer is good for you. It has nothing to do with look. It has a lot to do with durability and being able to wash to walls and scrub them. SuperHide and SuperSpec w/o primer is like a car with no oil. It just is not high quality...or any quality for that matter. Behr paint is the worst and only got a #1 rating due to cost verses quality.
What-ever, paint the way you want and I will too, life is way too short for me to be worrying about your poor customers
Old 12-20-2004, 10:03 AM   #12
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by premierpainting
SuperHide and SuperSpec w/o primer is like a car with no oil. It just is not high quality...or any quality for that matter.
How 'bout expanding on that point for those of us (me) who don't know much about paint. Are you saying that primer is a must on new walls or are you saying something else?
Old 12-20-2004, 10:12 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by PipeGuy
How 'bout expanding on that point for those of us (me) who don't know much about paint. Are you saying that primer is a must on new walls or are you saying something else?
If you are out for a "splash and dash" no primer is needed. He was saying that you don't need primer on new drywall in a nice home's basement. There is no way that work is considered quality. Yes, to answer your question, you need a primer under all paints if you are looking for a "quality" job. A car w/o oil will indeed break-down. Well walls that are not primed can't be touch-up, washed, scrubbed, and so on. MAYBE a higher quality paint line can painted w/o primer, but BM's lower end paint is exactly that, Lower end, therefore can't be un-primed
Just another rant, I hope that I answered your question
Old 12-20-2004, 10:37 AM   #14
Pro

Thank's - you answered my question completely.
Old 12-23-2004, 02:44 PM   #15
Pro

Trade: Painting Contractor

All major manufacturers make good paint.The market is very competitive.
If you follow their recommendations, the paint will perform. Quality usually
differs from line to line. I.C.I. Glidden may be the world's most popular brand.
They did not become that because they produce bad paint.We use a lot of
paint from a lot of manufacturers and the differences are not detectable to
most painters.
By the way, this is a great forum. I hope to visit often.

www.ecopainting.ca
Old 12-29-2004, 04:43 PM   #16
Pro

Glidden makes many different tiers of different quality paint. I guess their highest tier of paint is their 'color' line. Which is probably on par with Benjamin Moore Regal lines of paints. Which I consider to be a 2nd tier paint, since it's base is a Vinyl Acrylic. To be honest I don't have much experience with Glidden, other than their evermore semi-gloss, which has a lot of chalk extenders, so will not be washable several years from now. IF you want a quality paint from the ICI parent company, I believe Devoe is your best bet.
But Glidden exterior 'color' paint is 100% acrylic so it probably isn't a bad choice. Personally I don't bother with Home Depot brands of paint.

-PlainPainter

P.S. quality means different things to different people, personaly I have never considered, for instance, ease of application to be a criteria for quality paint.
The best of the best quality paints tend to be the most god awful paints to apply, until you can figure out how to make it work. And the easiest to apply paints tend to become chalky with time, and stain easily. Benjamin Moore is probably the best compromise among paints on the market.
Old 01-17-2005, 05:19 PM   #17

Behr is the best paint and best value anywhere. The color selection, quality of the paint is by far the best. The greatest thing is you can get it for about 20.00 at any Home Depot. Behr is also the best because of all the information they put out for you to make sure you do the best job possible. They really care about their customers!
Go to Behr.com and see some really cool stuff.
Old 01-17-2005, 06:57 PM   #18
Back from the dead...

Trade: Paperhanger/Painter

tinkin, this is your second post that sounds like an ad. I personally don't like behr, and haven't met a professional painter that does. What gives?
Old 12-01-2007, 10:45 AM   #19

Trade: CUSTOM HOME&CABNET FINISHES

Should Prime New Drywall&2 Coats Of Paint,check This Out-1 Gal Of Flat At Sherwin Williams,13.46 1gal At Lowes 24.98 1gal Of Eggshell At Sherwin Williams- 15.75- 1gal Of Eggshell At Lowes 26. 98 $ 16 Gal Total At Sw 229.78 Dollars- 16 Gal At Lowes 400.22 Dollars, Lowes Valspar--sw 400 Flat 400 Egg.!
Old 12-01-2007, 12:09 PM   #20
Pro

Trade: Painting Contractor

Quote:
Originally Posted by T.GUTIERREZ View Post
Should Prime New Drywall&2 Coats Of Paint,check This Out-1 Gal Of Flat At Sherwin Williams,13.46 1gal At Lowes 24.98 1gal Of Eggshell At Sherwin Williams- 15.75- 1gal Of Eggshell At Lowes 26. 98 $ 16 Gal Total At Sw 229.78 Dollars- 16 Gal At Lowes 400.22 Dollars, Lowes Valspar--sw 400 Flat 400 Egg.!
I don't get it.

Are you asking if you should prime and then 2 coats for new drywall?
yes idealy

Or is it just a comparison on paint prices?
If so, HO's are mainly the only ones that buy paint at the big box stores.
Big box stores are over priced with poor quality, and even worse customer service.