Efficient Way To Paint A Pergola

Old 04-28-2009, 09:52 PM   #1
The Deck Guy

Trade: Outdoor Design & Construction
Rewards Points: 2,000
Send a message via AIM to Greg Di

Efficient Way To Paint A Pergola

I am trying to come up with a more efficient way of painting wood pergolas. The issue we have is that it's just slow-going because all six sides of every piece of wood has to get painted, and because of the intersections of wood, you can't get into the corners with a roller, so we are constantly going from roller to brush to roller.

It's just really frustrating. My regular painting sub won't do it.

Spraying scares me because of the overspray issue. Maybe I need to rethink it. I don't know.

What say you painters?

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Old 04-28-2009, 10:19 PM   #2
A bit abrasive.

Trade: Painting
Rewards Points: 1,000

Re: Efficient Way To Paint A Pergola

Nasty work, there is no easy answer.

Old 04-28-2009, 10:29 PM   #3
Project Manager HFH..

Trade: GC
Rewards Points: 2,004

Call me crazy but when I build a patio cover that is getting painted,I prime and paint before building.All the lumber gets covered with paint so that helps with duarability.I just have to go and paint the ends that have been cut and a little touch up here and there..Works for me.
dprimc (11-18-2010)
Old 04-28-2009, 10:44 PM   #4
The Deck Guy

Trade: Outdoor Design & Construction
Send a message via AIM to Greg Di

Quote:
Originally Posted by JumboJack View Post
Call me crazy but when I build a patio cover that is getting painted,I prime and paint before building.All the lumber gets covered with paint so that helps with duarability.I just have to go and paint the ends that have been cut and a little touch up here and there..Works for me.
I hear you. That makes sense, but it tends to bog down the construction a bit.

We do prime everything prior to construction and that is a killer too.

The other issue is laying everything out to paint it. Lots of time there just isn't room on site to do it.
Old 04-28-2009, 10:56 PM   #5
A bit abrasive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WisePainter View Post
Nasty work, there is no easy answer.
Old 04-28-2009, 11:02 PM   #6
Project Manager HFH..

Trade: GC
Rewards Points: 2,004

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Di View Post
I hear you. That makes sense, but it tends to bog down the construction a bit.

We do prime everything prior to construction and that is a killer too.

The other issue is laying everything out to paint it. Lots of time there just isn't room on site to do it.
Yes it does slow things down.I am pretty small so I do the painting alone.That way I don't have anyone standing around...Heck most of the time I build it alone too...
Old 04-29-2009, 12:09 AM   #7
Organic Painter

Trade: Painting Contractor
Rewards Points: 500

Quote:
Call me crazy but when I build a patio cover that is getting painted,I prime and paint before building.All the lumber gets covered with paint so that helps with durability.I just have to go and paint the ends that have been cut and a little touch up here and there..Works for me.
Prime and paint, then put it together and put one more coat on it to be complete.
Old 04-29-2009, 12:28 AM   #8
Pro

Trade: Bathroom Remodeling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Di View Post
I am trying to come up with a more efficient way of painting wood pergolas. The issue we have is that it's just slow-going because all six sides of every piece of wood has to get painted, and because of the intersections of wood, you can't get into the corners with a roller, so we are constantly going from roller to brush to roller.

It's just really frustrating. My regular painting sub won't do it.

Spraying scares me because of the overspray issue. Maybe I need to rethink it. I don't know.

What say you painters?

Consider not including painting as part of the project?

Many customers seem to be fine with this. They seem to have a mental understanding that there can be a difference between somebody that builds the project and then having to have it painted separately.

You probably like the idea of the control of the entire project, but there is also the consideration of is it really even making sense to be involved with painting when you could be building something else and make more money in the long run?
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mike Finley For This Useful Post:
ApgarNJ (11-16-2010), dprimc (11-18-2010)
Old 04-29-2009, 12:58 AM   #9
A bit abrasive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Finley View Post
Consider not including painting as part of the project?

Many customers seem to be fine with this. They seem to have a mental understanding that there can be a difference between somebody that builds the project and then having to have it painted separately.

You probably like the idea of the control of the entire project, but there is also the consideration of is it really even making sense to be involved with painting when you could be building something else and make more money in the long run?
1) I don't care if it is after midnight, you aren't allowed in here bathroom guy!!!!
EVAR!!

2) He has no choice but to paint it, his painter (the smart one) refuses to paint the thing.
Old 04-29-2009, 01:06 AM   #10
Smart phone? Scan me!

Trade: Painting/Framing/Drywall

Think about it. How long does it take to put up "painters plastic".. hooking it to the gutter, running along 20' of either side, coming down the side of the house protecting it? Get a sprayer going on it and a mini roller. Use a smaller tip and turn the pump pressure down so there isn't a HUGE cloud of paint aloof. < OR an HVLP w/ mini roller. You are talking what 2 or 3 hours per coat on the outside? This is how I would approach it at least.
Old 11-16-2010, 02:24 PM   #11

Trade: Professional Deck Builder
Rewards Points: 10

Try ************, I let my clients provide the paint code from Sherwin Williams and receive all of my components painted and ready to install. I stopped using wood to build pergolas after my third wood pergola came crashing down, granted it took quite awhile but I use fiberglass from these guys now and sleep a little better, 7 successfull installs and counting.

Last edited by BuiltByMAC; 11-16-2010 at 07:42 PM. Reason: removed link and business name - no self promotion allowed
Old 11-16-2010, 05:18 PM   #12
Drywall & Painting Pro

Trade: Licensed Florida Drywall and Painting Contractor
Rewards Points: 1,783

Edit: Didn't realize this thread was a year and a half old. Doh!
Greg, I would spray it forsure. Like nEighter said, small tip with low pressure.
Here's a gazebo repaint we did recently.
Had to protect the wood ceiling, shingles, and deck.

Last edited by Sir Mixalot; 11-16-2010 at 05:38 PM.
Old 11-16-2010, 07:37 PM   #13
Pro

Trade: Deck guy
Rewards Points: 2,030

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buildadeck View Post
I stopped using wood to build pergolas after my third wood pergola came crashing down
Hmmmm, not sure the wood's the problem. There's no freakin' weight on a pergola, other than the pergola itself, why on earth would 3 of them come crashing down? nvm, I think I know...

(and stop pushing your website)

Mac
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to BuiltByMAC For This Useful Post:
dprimc (11-18-2010), JumboJack (11-16-2010), Sir Mixalot (11-16-2010)
Old 11-17-2010, 11:34 PM   #14
Pro

Trade: Bath Remodeling
Rewards Points: 250

Quote:
my third wood pergola came crashing down

Good God... They have these things called screws and bolts, and -this is wild, I know- some carpenters even notch their boards so that the structure interlocks for better stability and appearance. Also, they use fasteners even when they do this, because they're not idiots.

Still Standing:
Attached Thumbnails
Efficient way to paint a pergola-gangsta.jpg  
Old 11-18-2010, 12:24 PM   #15
Pro

Trade: General Contractor
Rewards Points: 546

Quote:
Try ************, I let my clients provide the paint code from Sherwin Williams and receive all of my components painted and ready to install. I stopped using wood to build pergolas after my third wood pergola came crashing down, granted it took quite awhile but I use fiberglass from these guys now and sleep a little better, 7 successfull installs and counting.

I think he should be allowed to promote the fact that three of his pergolas came crashing down. I think he should make it a banner at the top of his site!!!!

It is pretty encouraging that the most recent seven are still standing. Perhaps we need an update. Its been a few days. Oh....uhhh....six of them are still standing. Congrats!!!!
Old 11-18-2010, 12:29 PM   #16
Pro

Trade: General Contractor
Rewards Points: 546

I almost always just contract for the building and let the customer handle hiring out the finish. For a while I hated leaving money on the table, but I got over it. It always seemed more of a PITA than it was worth when I got involved.

I have set up a spray booth and sprayed all material before install. Wasn't bad if you have the space to do it, but it wasn't really a money maker for me and I really hate painting.
Old 11-18-2010, 04:27 PM   #17

Rewards Points: 75

I would just get over my fear of the sprayer. It's the fastest best way once properly prepared. Oh, remember to get paid accordingly.