Drywall Primer Peeling Problem??

Old 08-07-2006, 08:34 PM   #1
Pro

Trade: Painter
Rewards Points: 502

Drywall Primer Peeling Problem??

Some one from my church has been painting his own basement after it was just finished. The drywall was sanded and sat for 2-3 days prior to him beginning work. This is what he did: first he brushed the dust off the walls with a broom, then wiped the walls with a damp rag to remove dust and let dry. Then he used a tack cloth on the walls, especially on the seams to try to make sure there was no dust. Next day he primed with bullseye 123 latex primer. Now, mainly on the seams the primer is bubbling / peeling off.

Since the drywall was sanded and then left alone for a few days, I do not think the problem is that the setting type compound was too green to be primed (usually that stuff it ready the next day, especially with the final skim coat). My guess is that the tack cloth left enough oily residue that the latex primer just sat on top of the drywall seams and did not grab as it dryed. Probably his best bet is to scrape as much as he can off, clean that area with a solvent such as xylol to remove any oily residue, skim coat and reprime affected areas.

Any other thoughts on this one? First time I have heard of drywall primer peeling that was not dust related.

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Old 08-07-2006, 08:51 PM   #2
...jammin

Trade: Rock Disciple
Rewards Points: 2,000

Re: Drywall Primer Peeling Problem??

You can check the back of the peel for dust, but that seems unlikely if all those steps were followed

The tack cloth thing is excessive, and suspect
I use tack cloths all the time, but never on new drywall
The latest batch I bought was pretty greasy too...
...and quite frankly stunk at picking up dust-it left a ton

I have never used this crap before and I pray to the paint gods that I never have to use it again, I would rather use Behr
Old 08-07-2006, 09:18 PM   #3
My custom title

Trade: Painting, faux, rock, plaster, texture, tile, laminates, finish carpentry contractor
Rewards Points: 1,000

What do you mean "mainly on the seams", is it bubbling somewhere else too? Is it verified that he used latex 123? Normal solvent isn't Xylol... so no but, sounds interesting that he used a tack cloth AND a wet cloth to remove drywall dust. What did he wet the cloth with?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian
Paint does a lot more than put color on a surface. It protects surfaces, it can reduce maintenance costs, it can enhance lives.
Old 08-07-2006, 09:53 PM   #4
Pro

I have not looked at the job, just trying to help him over the phone. It sounds like first wiped the walls down with a damp (water) rag, then after that was dry used the tack cloth. Mainly he wiped the seams with the tack cloth (and that is where the majority of the peeling is) but he also lightly tacked the whole wall surface.
Old 08-07-2006, 10:47 PM   #5
My custom title

Trade: Painting, faux, rock, plaster, texture, tile, laminates, finish carpentry contractor

Depends on where the majority is really, you need to look at it. If it's seams and nail noles than ya, theres a problem with the mud. If it's seams and in the middle of a wall with no mud then... well, hes got moisture or a some sort of oil on the walls, I can't see tack cloths leaving enough on a wall to promote bubbling drywall seams. Can he see the edges of the tape in the bubbling?

Quote:
Paint does a lot more than put color on a surface. It protects surfaces, it can reduce maintenance costs, it can enhance lives.
Old 08-08-2006, 05:19 PM   #6
Pro

Trade: Painting Contractor
Rewards Points: 500

anything pealing is 99.9% moisture.
something's trapped and trying (sucessfully) to get out.
Old 08-08-2006, 06:14 PM   #7
Pro

Trade: Carpenter
Rewards Points: 2,028

Maybe the finisher didn't allow enough drying time between coats??
Old 08-08-2006, 11:11 PM   #8
Pro

Trade: Painting
Rewards Points: 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by KellyPainting
anything pealing is 99.9% moisture.
something's trapped and trying (sucessfully) to get out.
That's exactly right.

2-3 days seems kind of strange. On something like that I would know if it was 2 days or 3 days. How damp is the basement? If he finished the seems at the end of say Friday and then started painting Sunday morning, things could definitely still be wet, It just sounds like he started the painting before it should have been.
Old 08-09-2006, 06:25 AM   #9
Pro

This house is a good 1.5 hours away from where I live (they moved recently) so I will not be able to see it firsthand. I have a hard time believing the mud was still wet because the final sand was done by the drywaller and before prepping the homeowner also did a little sanding and wet mud does not sand well, even the setting type. I believe that setting type mud was used, which tends to set fast but also seems to dry faster than the regular mud. If it is sanding well though, it really cannot be wet in my opinion.
Old 08-09-2006, 01:54 PM   #10
My custom title

True but, if he used any type of oil product on the bare sheetrock mud, then went over it with latex primer, could cause peeling and bubbling. Or Xylene, or spirts... etc.

Quote:
Old 08-09-2006, 03:25 PM   #11
New Guy

Trade: Carpenter
Rewards Points: 25

IMO if oil was the problem, it would have shown up while painting. There would have been fisheyes all over the place. You said he wiped the joints with a damp cloth. How damp was the cloth and how long did he wait to paint? If he used a really wet cloth, water could have been absorbed by the joint compound, appeared dry on the surface, but actually still had moisture trapped below the surface.
Old 08-09-2006, 04:33 PM   #12
painterofeverything

Trade: residential painter
Rewards Points: 250
Send a message via Yahoo to painterofeveryt

call or email usg a copy of the problem ,see what they have to say.........
Old 12-11-2006, 04:38 PM   #13

Trade: electrician
Rewards Points: 10

I have a similar problem and I've concluded that it's the joint compound. I was using 4 yr old setting compound. It sticks, hardens, and sands well but the primer won't stick to it very good.
Old 12-11-2006, 05:33 PM   #14
Mike Danahy

Trade: Signature Painter

I don't use 123 on new drywall. It's better as a block filler with it's bridging capabilities. I find it's good for keeping moisture out, or in.... Seems to me the wet wipe had something to do with it. imo....
Old 12-11-2006, 07:00 PM   #15

Trade: Interior contracting
Rewards Points: 75

I know you said it was not dust related but could the person that wiped the wall did so with only one tack cloth for the whole wall? If so they could have exceeded the tack cloths ability to pick up dust and ended up just pushing dust around to be left in little spots of dust build up. Even using only one wet wipe could do the same. It may sound very elementary but since the diy'er did it then it leaves the door wide open. That would explain why fish eyes didnt appear and still had bubbles/spots were peeling. And I can see someone spraying the primer on then when applying the paint by roller and introducing moisture to the surface, they would pull the new paint surface away from the substrate. Just like trying to paint a popcorn ceiling. Or when you paint a new wall where some one else did not dust the walls before spray bombing the place. or any walls with water damage that has crystalized beneath the surface of paint.
Just a thought.
Old 12-11-2006, 09:11 PM   #16
Pro

In this case (the original post) the person finally determined that the setting type drywall mud just did not dry all the way. It dryed enough on the surface to appear dry, but did not dry all the way through in the basement. Then the moisture caused it to peel from the seams.

It is probably the simplest explaination, but I have not yet mistaken wet, cured drywall compound for completely dry compound as it always seems to dry from the edges in and once it has achieved that solid white color with no grey, it is dry. Again, throw in the DIY aspect, and it can be hard to figure out exactly what happened.
Old 12-12-2006, 03:00 PM   #17
Pro

It sounds like the tapers had to put on thick layers of mud and being a basement, there is probably moisture behind the drywall that isn't drying very fast.

Tack cloth wouldn't cause this, although too much primer on the first pass will also contribute.
Old 12-12-2006, 04:57 PM   #18
Pro

Trade: Residential Remodel
Rewards Points: 250

What is the drywall attatched to. You mentioned basement & I've seen drywall just glued to the foundation walls before. Could that be a source of moisture?

Rich
Old 02-01-2008, 04:39 PM   #19

Trade: metal studs and drywall
Rewards Points: 10

if mositure is not a the problem it could very well just be the paint not being mixed right or old.
Old 02-01-2008, 05:02 PM   #20
Preserving the Past

Trade: Restoration & Historic Preservation
Rewards Points: 2,032
Send a message via Skype™ to Jason Whipple

A true tack cloth is a cheese cloth with a wax coating. If this is what the H/O used, I would suspect it's the wax coating he just spread all over his walls!