Degreasing Cabinets

 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 01-22-2018, 02:16 PM   #1
Pro
 
Lettusbee's Avatar
 
Trade: General Contractor
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Ft Collins, CO
Posts: 1,964
Rewards Points: 2,524

Degreasing Cabinets


Tract Home Style Oak Cabinets from the 90s.

Merrillat brand to be precise.

I'm looking for a product that gets that nasty hazy scummy layer of grease off.

Not refinishing cabinets, just want to polish them up, but can't get past the nasty grease.

I've tried a few products from Home Depot and Woodcraft. Nothing seems to work as the label promises. Krud Kutter is usually my go to for degreasing, but it doesn't cooperate with the original finish on these cabinets.
Lettusbee is online now  

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

   

Advertisement

 

Old 01-22-2018, 04:28 PM   #2
John the Builder
 
SmallTownGuy's Avatar
 
Trade: Carpenter/Builder
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Oxford, MI
Posts: 12,287
Rewards Points: 9,470

Re: Degreasing Cabinets


Quote:
Originally Posted by Lettusbee View Post
Tract Home Style Oak Cabinets from the 90s.

Merrillat brand to be precise.

I'm looking for a product that gets that nasty hazy scummy layer of grease off.

Not refinishing cabinets, just want to polish them up, but can't get past the nasty grease.

I've tried a few products from Home Depot and Woodcraft. Nothing seems to work as the label promises. Krud Kutter is usually my go to for degreasing, but it doesn't cooperate with the original finish on these cabinets.
Windex didn't do the job?

Advertisement

__________________
"Mornin' ladies, my goodness don't you look happy. Must be cuttin' somebody up pretty good." - Andy Griffiths
SmallTownGuy is online now  
Old 01-22-2018, 06:25 PM   #3
Pro
 
rrk's Avatar
 
Trade: remodeling
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: new jersey
Posts: 4,664
Rewards Points: 1,756

Re: Degreasing Cabinets


Quote:
Originally Posted by Lettusbee View Post
Tract Home Style Oak Cabinets from the 90s.

Merrillat brand to be precise.

I'm looking for a product that gets that nasty hazy scummy layer of grease off.

Not refinishing cabinets, just want to polish them up, but can't get past the nasty grease.

I've tried a few products from Home Depot and Woodcraft. Nothing seems to work as the label promises. Krud Kutter is usually my go to for degreasing, but it doesn't cooperate with the original finish on these cabinets.
Yikes on the Krud Kutter, that is my go to for degreasing
rrk is online now  
   
 
Old 01-22-2018, 06:42 PM   #4
Pro
 
B.Johnson's Avatar
 
Trade: Builder
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: Midwest
Posts: 909
Rewards Points: 1,290

Re: Degreasing Cabinets


Simple Green? IDK.
__________________
Home Designer Series Software
B.Johnson is offline  
Old 01-22-2018, 07:18 PM   #5
Pro
 
KAP's Avatar
 
Trade: Custom
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 9,244
Rewards Points: 26,862

Re: Degreasing Cabinets


What's attached to your cabinets is a lot of things but it's base is most likely a build up of cooking oil grease... try wiping an area using a cotton towel and vegetable oil (no need to drench it) to see if it breaks down (it should in the same way some shampoo breaks down the residue at the bottom of a shower - like stuff with like stuff)... if it does, continue forward... after cleaning, be sure to thoroughly wipe off the residue and buff it, then give it a rub-down with Formby's Lemon oil (stuff is like lotion for cabinets) and do so going forward every 6 months or so...

They also sell a build-up remover, but this method should give you the results you're looking for...

Let us know how it goes...

Last edited by KAP; 01-22-2018 at 07:21 PM.
KAP is offline  
Old 01-22-2018, 07:55 PM   #6
Member
 
DATEC's Avatar
 
Trade: Decorative concrete
Join Date: Nov 2017
Posts: 53
Rewards Points: 148

Re: Degreasing Cabinets


Quote:
Originally Posted by KAP View Post
What's attached to your cabinets is a lot of things but it's base is most likely a build up of cooking oil grease... try wiping an area using a cotton towel and vegetable oil (no need to drench it) to see if it breaks down (it should in the same way some shampoo breaks down the residue at the bottom of a shower - like stuff with like stuff)... if it does, continue forward... after cleaning, be sure to thoroughly wipe off the residue and buff it, then give it a rub-down with Formby's Lemon oil (stuff is like lotion for cabinets) and do so going forward every 6 months or so...

They also sell a build-up remover, but this method should give you the results you're looking for...

Let us know how it goes...
I agree with KAP, give it a try. I was doing some tree trimming and one cut down of some pines for an older lady who after I was finished came out with some vegetable. oil and told me to put some on my hands and rub it in like soap and it will remove the sap residue from my hands, I did what she said and dam if it didn't work.

Worth a try and cost very little too.
DATEC is offline  
Old 01-22-2018, 08:07 PM   #7
John the Builder
 
SmallTownGuy's Avatar
 
Trade: Carpenter/Builder
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Oxford, MI
Posts: 12,287
Rewards Points: 9,470

Re: Degreasing Cabinets


I know how popular Krud Kutter is. But some years back, when I got the first income property a friend stumbled on this stuff at the dollar store, and we love it.
Attached Thumbnails
Degreasing Cabinets-las-totally-awesome-all-purpose-concentrate.jpg  
__________________
"Mornin' ladies, my goodness don't you look happy. Must be cuttin' somebody up pretty good." - Andy Griffiths
SmallTownGuy is online now  
Old 01-22-2018, 09:08 PM   #8
Pro
 
tjbnwi's Avatar
 
Trade: Remodeling
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Cedar Tucky, Indiana
Posts: 7,889
Rewards Points: 3,026

Re: Degreasing Cabinets


Quote:
Originally Posted by Lettusbee View Post
Tract Home Style Oak Cabinets from the 90s.

Merrillat brand to be precise.

I'm looking for a product that gets that nasty hazy scummy layer of grease off.

Not refinishing cabinets, just want to polish them up, but can't get past the nasty grease.

I've tried a few products from Home Depot and Woodcraft. Nothing seems to work as the label promises. Krud Kutter is usually my go to for degreasing, but it doesn't cooperate with the original finish on these cabinets.
Probably not the Krud Kutter causing the problem. My guess is the grease has softened the factory finish (it was nitrocellulose lacquer back then). The KK is doing it's job, removing the Krud, problem is the finish os coming with it.

Anything you find that works will most likely have the same affect as the KK.

Tom
tjbnwi is online now  
Old 01-23-2018, 05:57 AM   #9
Pro
 
B.Johnson's Avatar
 
Trade: Builder
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: Midwest
Posts: 909
Rewards Points: 1,290

Re: Degreasing Cabinets


I don't think that Simple Green would remove the finish.

@SmallTownGuy: My Mom and my wife think that stuff is Awesome!
__________________
Home Designer Series Software
B.Johnson is offline  
The Following User Says Thank You to B.Johnson For This Useful Post:
SmallTownGuy (01-23-2018)
Old 01-23-2018, 06:02 AM   #10
John the Builder
 
SmallTownGuy's Avatar
 
Trade: Carpenter/Builder
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Oxford, MI
Posts: 12,287
Rewards Points: 9,470

Re: Degreasing Cabinets


Quote:
Originally Posted by B.Johnson View Post
I don't think that Simple Green would remove the finish.

@SmallTownGuy: My Mom and my wife think that stuff is Awesome!
hahahaha!

yup. When I got the keys to this one place - the only store nearby was a dollar store. Friend goes & gets an armful of all their cleaning supplies.

Those $1 bottles of Awesome impressed the heck out of us.
__________________
"Mornin' ladies, my goodness don't you look happy. Must be cuttin' somebody up pretty good." - Andy Griffiths
SmallTownGuy is online now  
Old 01-23-2018, 09:42 AM   #11
Pro
 
kirkdc's Avatar
 
Trade: Remodeling (mostly kitch/bath)
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: Cripple Creek. CO
Posts: 661
Rewards Points: 2,796

Re: Degreasing Cabinets


A job I wouldnt want to do. I'd hire someone else or tell the HO's I'm not interested. Really.
kirkdc is offline  
Old 01-23-2018, 06:15 PM   #12
Pro
 
Lettusbee's Avatar
 
Trade: General Contractor
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Ft Collins, CO
Posts: 1,964
Rewards Points: 2,524

Re: Degreasing Cabinets


Well, I think TJBNWI is on the right track. I tried everything above, and always get the same result.

Grease is gone, but remaining finish always feels gummy. Even after applying lotion and buffing.

I fear that the years of grease on here has degraded the finish enough that there is no hope of rescue.
Lettusbee is online now  
Old 01-23-2018, 06:16 PM   #13
Pro
 
Lettusbee's Avatar
 
Trade: General Contractor
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Ft Collins, CO
Posts: 1,964
Rewards Points: 2,524

Re: Degreasing Cabinets


Quote:
Originally Posted by tjbnwi View Post
Probably not the Krud Kutter causing the problem. My guess is the grease has softened the factory finish (it was nitrocellulose lacquer back then). The KK is doing it's job, removing the Krud, problem is the finish os coming with it.

Anything you find that works will most likely have the same affect as the KK.

Tom
Nitro cellulose Lacquer? Like what they painted cars with in the 30s?
Lettusbee is online now  
Old 01-23-2018, 06:19 PM   #14
Pro
 
tjbnwi's Avatar
 
Trade: Remodeling
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Cedar Tucky, Indiana
Posts: 7,889
Rewards Points: 3,026

Re: Degreasing Cabinets


Quote:
Originally Posted by Lettusbee View Post
Well, I think TJBNWI is on the right track. I tried everything above, and always get the same result.

Grease is gone, but remaining finish always feels gummy. Even after applying lotion and buffing.

I fear that the years of grease on here has degraded the finish enough that there is no hope of rescue.
This sounds like a place you picked up to rent or flip.

Clean the cabs with KK, spray some finish on them. You could go pigmented and not deal with any stain fade or wear.

Tom
tjbnwi is online now  
The Following User Says Thank You to tjbnwi For This Useful Post:
kirkdc (01-23-2018)
Old 01-23-2018, 06:37 PM   #15
Pro
 
Ohio painter's Avatar
 
Trade: Painting and wallpaper
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Central Ohio
Posts: 1,339
Rewards Points: 2,368

Re: Degreasing Cabinets


There was a product called Scotts Liquid Gold. It is not a prep type product. It is an oil based cleaner and wood preserver. It will remove the funky grease and leave a decent clean finish. It has been many years since I used it.
Ohio painter is online now  
Old 01-23-2018, 06:50 PM   #16
Pro
 
kirkdc's Avatar
 
Trade: Remodeling (mostly kitch/bath)
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: Cripple Creek. CO
Posts: 661
Rewards Points: 2,796

Re: Degreasing Cabinets


Quote:
Originally Posted by tjbnwi View Post
This sounds like a place you picked up to rent or flip.

Clean the cabs with KK, spray some finish on them. You could go pigmented and not deal with any stain fade or wear.

Tom
bingo.
kirkdc is offline  
Old 01-23-2018, 06:52 PM   #17
Pro
 
tjbnwi's Avatar
 
Trade: Remodeling
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Cedar Tucky, Indiana
Posts: 7,889
Rewards Points: 3,026

Re: Degreasing Cabinets


Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohio painter View Post
There was a product called Scotts Liquid Gold. It is not a prep type product. It is an oil based cleaner and wood preserver. It will remove the funky grease and leave a decent clean finish. It has been many years since I used it.
I think we have a can around here---somewhere.

Tom
tjbnwi is online now  
Old 01-23-2018, 07:55 PM   #18
Pro
 
Lettusbee's Avatar
 
Trade: General Contractor
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Ft Collins, CO
Posts: 1,964
Rewards Points: 2,524

Re: Degreasing Cabinets


Quote:
Originally Posted by tjbnwi View Post
This sounds like a place you picked up to rent or flip.

Clean the cabs with KK, spray some finish on them. You could go pigmented and not deal with any stain fade or wear.

Tom
No, I was replacing my over the stove microwave, and pulled the doors on the upper cabinet for ease of mobility.

They were of course nasty with grease. Old Microwave was room vented. I am venting new one through the roof.

Just thought I'd clean em up real quick, and it turned into a major endeavor. Not gonna obsess about it too much though. This kitchen is not long for this world.

I swore we weren't going to spend money on this house, but so far we've converted bedrooms to hardwood, changed out most of the doors and trim, replaced windows, replaced siding, converted to Natural gas from Propane, added a gas stove in the basement........

I have spent most of this winter working on my own house. In about 3 weeks those funds will be all the way depleted, and I'll have to go back to that having to work every day crap that I don't much care for.

Advertisement

Lettusbee is online now  
The Following User Says Thank You to Lettusbee For This Useful Post:
SmallTownGuy (01-24-2018)


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Audio Cabinets - Doors blackte Finish Carpentry 18 11-21-2013 06:13 PM
Painting cabinets country_huck Painting & Finish Work 2 02-08-2013 08:57 AM
Cabinets faceframe coming off... ApgarNJ Finish Carpentry 9 10-28-2011 06:50 PM

Join Now... It's Fast and FREE!

I am a professional contractor
I am a DIY Homeowner
Drywall Talk is for
PROFESSIONAL CONTRACTORS ONLY!

At DrywallTalk.com we cater exlusivly to professional contractors who make their living as a contractor. Knowing that many homeowners and DIYers are looking for a community to call home, we've created www.DIYChatroom.com DIY Chatroom is full of helpful advices and perfect for DIY homeowners.

Redirecing in 10 seconds
No Thanks
terms of service

Already Have an Account?