Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

Deck staining

3K views 8 replies 6 participants last post by  Miller 
#1 ·
First we will start out by saying i don't advertise for decks and don't usually do them. I have a Friend of a Friend that wants there deck Stained.. The deck has been stained or sealed before but they have no clue what they used? They now want to go to a Solid stain but don't want to pay the extra $ to have whatever is on there stripped and cleaned before I put the solid stain on. Can i put the solid stain over whatever is on there now if i use a primer or something? Just trying to figure this out. I know it's prolly best to strip and start with a clean surface but they are not willing to pay. So just looking for some advice from the deck experts?

Thanks,

#2 ·
Not a deck expert, but never apply a "film forming finish to a deck" That includes so called "Solid Deck Stain". Might look good for a year or two, then when the peeling begins:eek: then the prep required to re-finish the deck:eek::eek:

I see respectable manufactures advertise Solid Color Decking Stain,
"I pity the fool" that falls for that.

#3 ·
you will not get many answers here because most people dont want to give advice on how to do the wrong job, to not properly prepare a deck before staining is a recipe for failure. however, its there choice, wash it down and stain it, they get what they get. it will look ok for the rest of this summer.

#5 ·
this is an interesting subject, i have worked for many quikie people over the years, and a few cheap people(not many), anyway i feel, with the exeption of a safety issue, if i fully disclose the correct way that a job should be done, and they still want to only pay for the wrong job, i will happily do it.

#7 ·
There is nothing wrong with applying film forming product on a deck. A semi-transparent will not be as easy to maintain as a penetrating product but solid color deck stains work just fine and are some of the longest lasting finishes you can use.

In this situation I'd recommend Sikkens Rubbol DEK. It's a oil based solid color stain. It's more forgiving of the substrate than any other similar product I've used. It may have a better chance of working for your situation than anything else. I still recommend prepping the deck correctly of course but you're gonna do what you have to in the end so good luck either way.

#8 ·
I wouldn't even do this job the way that they want. A solid decking stain is just a peeling situation waiting to happen even when done correctly on bare wood. I'd either strip it or walk away from the job as it's going to be a problem in less than two years. Even if you strip it I would go with a penetrating stain, my personal preference is Cabot Clear Solution, and then just keep it up every other year as it fades out.

#9 ·
Thanks for all the input on all of this.. I will be meeting with the HO again tomorrow, to discuss in greater detail. I'm not a fan of putting solid stain over the top of anything specially if i have know clue to what they put on there before. I agree with the last post, Solid stain just creates a mess in my opinion. I live in MN. so with the seasons we have here anything you put on the deck doesn't hold up all that well. I have already told the lady what will happen if we go the cheap route and what kind of messes she will have in a yr or 2. Guess the only thing i can do is walk away or make sure it's noted in the contract some where.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.