Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

Deck rehab

5K views 7 replies 4 participants last post by  4thGeneration 
#1 ·
Well my mother got the bright idea of taking her swimming pool out after its been there for 16 years, yah more work for her renaissance son to do. :laughing:

Well anyways, I got the pool out, redesign the deck to the womans needs now it comes to re-staining the deck. I salvage 95% of the lumber off of the huge deck to be used on the current design now and the wood is old obviously and has at least 3 stain coats that are faded etc.

Is there a deck prep chemical I need to put down before staining or can I just go over it with a darker color? I need something that is h20 proof and will last at least 5-10 years before re-applying. Since this is a family job, does it make it a diy project? :whistling

I plan on stoping at Sherwin Williams and getting there input, but I figured I'd post up on here to get some professional opinions.

#4 ·
what products do you use to strip with? I would like something decently price with sufficient results.

TWP (total wood protection) has a high solids semi-transparent stain for wood shingle roofs. it takes a couple weeks to dry but you will get 5 + years out of it. good product.

You can get it from ICI
Only thing I can get in my area is from Lowes, Home depot, Sherwins williams, and porter paints. I would like to avoid shipping cost if possible, do to this coming out of my pocket for a mothers day gift. :yawn:

#6 ·
What type of stain: semi trans, semi solid, latex or oil. Also, you will not get 5-10 years with anything you have to walk on. A retaining flower plant box or a fence, maybe... but even then the color will fade.
Amen!

what products do you use to strip with? I would like something decently price with sufficient results.
I buy deck stripper from Sherwin and Porter, you won't be disappointed in doing this, but lasting for 5 years is not possible for any stain with out some redoing.

#7 ·
I priced the deck stripper at SW and it was around $28 a gal which is suppose to cover 150 sq/ft, they said there deck products would get 2-4 years. I am going to see if she wants to go w/sw or another brand, I'll post up pics when finished.

Thanks for all the help :)

#8 ·
I suggest Armstrong-Clark for the Oil based Semi Trans. It is a deep penetating stain. as far as SW waterborne :whistling

You can use it if you like, but it does not have the oils that the AC has. Oils is what a deck needs after a good clean/strip/pH balance.

as far as stripper I like Kens Restore-A-Deck or ACR products strippers.

Never strip a deck without pH balancing it(brightening) If you do not the stain will not properly adhere to the deck.

Other than that, if you build a deck and need to finish it or need some one to refinish a old deck, give me a shout. Pa Deck Washing is one of my specialties.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.