Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

cutting a line on an outside corner

7K views 17 replies 13 participants last post by  Zeebo 
#1 ·
I know what everyone is going to say. "learn to cut a straight line" I can cut a very straight line. I posted a thread a few months ago about who tapes and who doesn't and reasons why. We aren't going to get back into that. However, I just painted a house where the homeowner had two colors. When the deep red turned the corner the rest was white. That outside corner where the red and the white came together was tough. Inside corners are a breeze to cut a line. however, with such contrasting colors I really fought this. It ended up looking great but took a lot of time. Anyone have any tricks for this?

#2 ·
I "slap" my brush sideways on the outside corner, making a line straighter than most rulers. It's more like a tap, but it keeps the overhang down. I use this on ceiling soffits that overhang with success as well.

#4 · (Edited)
If I have to cut or change colours on an outside angle, I try to figure out which of the two colours can over lap the other by about a 1/32 to 1/16 of an inch. Usually I find the dark overlaps the light better, additionally, the wall that recieves the most light (from windows) is better to overlap into the other which may have a shadow. Ideally it is best to cut dead centre, but in reality some walls just aren't in good enough shape to easily accomodate this.

Where to switch colours is one of my specialties. I like to say that it is ok (because it is) to have some colours 'tab' into the next room. I also say that an object that is 3D looks better than a wall that changes on an outside corner. Inside colour changes turn cheap into expensive. If I have to change on an outside corner, I find it's just slow and steady wins... remembering what I mentioned above... I'm not a stranger to have to resort to tape, or roller tricks if and when needed... Each scenerio is pretty much its own can of worms in my opinion.

#9 ·
Doesn't a roller overlap too far. I understand the foam roller. However, a half or 3/8 would lab over too far. I do the slap at a down angle. Sometimes with a dark color though it leaves a little texture from the brush bristles. Lots of good advice though. Thanks.

#10 ·
Doesn't a roller overlap too far. I understand the foam roller. However, a half or 3/8 would lab over too far...
Nope
I usually use a 1/2"
Looks good
Customers like it

...I'm not pressing that thing in there to squeeze out paint, just a light touch works fine

#13 ·
Try this method if you trust your tape. Say you have a red wall meeting a white wall (outside corner) Run your tape down the wall onto the red side. Now paint down the white side with the red paint.That will seal that side and the red paint will bleed back on to itself. When dry paint in the other colour. No bleed through and a nice clean line.Pull the tape off at a 45 angle.

#16 ·
Depending on how tight it has to be, I use all the mentioned apps, but prefer to use a brush and get it perfectly straight. Looking at the corner so that you can't see the other color from one side of the wall.

Sometimes it involves sanding the corner down, sometimes using mud to get a new sharp corner. Sometimes i have both colors going at the same time. The colors make a big difference and red is hard to do. A straight corner helps too.

#18 ·
You ask a good question.

Never thought about a foam roller. Need to try that one.

All of the above...but I also have on hand a wet rag that I run down the opposite side of the wall to catch / clean up any paint that oozes on the other side. Works well.

Zeebo

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.