Cutting A Line On An Outside Corner

Old 11-26-2006, 05:56 PM   #1
Pro

Trade: painting
Rewards Points: 250

Cutting A Line On An Outside Corner

I know what everyone is going to say. "learn to cut a straight line" I can cut a very straight line. I posted a thread a few months ago about who tapes and who doesn't and reasons why. We aren't going to get back into that. However, I just painted a house where the homeowner had two colors. When the deep red turned the corner the rest was white. That outside corner where the red and the white came together was tough. Inside corners are a breeze to cut a line. however, with such contrasting colors I really fought this. It ended up looking great but took a lot of time. Anyone have any tricks for this?

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 11-26-2006, 06:40 PM   #2
My custom title

Trade: Painting, faux, rock, plaster, texture, tile, laminates, finish carpentry contractor
Rewards Points: 1,000

Re: Cutting A Line On An Outside Corner

I "slap" my brush sideways on the outside corner, making a line straighter than most rulers. It's more like a tap, but it keeps the overhang down. I use this on ceiling soffits that overhang with success as well.

Advertisement

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian
Paint does a lot more than put color on a surface. It protects surfaces, it can reduce maintenance costs, it can enhance lives.
Old 11-26-2006, 06:46 PM   #3
Professional Painter

Trade: Owner/Operator
Rewards Points: 500

I dont cut them, I roll them--same with overhangs on the ceiling where a strip of wall meets the ceiling...I'll occasionally throw some tape up and roll, but that's just me--I can cut it, but I just never got into that method...to each there own I guess..

Old 11-26-2006, 06:48 PM   #4
Mike Danahy

Trade: Signature Painter
Rewards Points: 522

If I have to cut or change colours on an outside angle, I try to figure out which of the two colours can over lap the other by about a 1/32 to 1/16 of an inch. Usually I find the dark overlaps the light better, additionally, the wall that recieves the most light (from windows) is better to overlap into the other which may have a shadow. Ideally it is best to cut dead centre, but in reality some walls just aren't in good enough shape to easily accomodate this.

Where to switch colours is one of my specialties. I like to say that it is ok (because it is) to have some colours 'tab' into the next room. I also say that an object that is 3D looks better than a wall that changes on an outside corner. Inside colour changes turn cheap into expensive. If I have to change on an outside corner, I find it's just slow and steady wins... remembering what I mentioned above... I'm not a stranger to have to resort to tape, or roller tricks if and when needed... Each scenerio is pretty much its own can of worms in my opinion.

Last edited by Danahy; 11-26-2006 at 06:51 PM.
Old 11-26-2006, 07:32 PM   #5
Pro

Trade: Painter
Rewards Points: 150

I usually just lightly "slap" at an angle down the line, while pulling my brush away from the wall. Hard to explain.

Also the sponge rollers can work well as they don't have anything on them to overlap like regular naps.
Old 11-26-2006, 07:40 PM   #6
Back from the dead...

Trade: Paperhanger/Painter
Rewards Points: 7,510

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brushslingers View Post
I "slap" my brush sideways on the outside corner, making a line straighter than most rulers. It's more like a tap, but it keeps the overhang down. I use this on ceiling soffits that overhang with success as well.
Ditto to that.
Old 11-26-2006, 08:01 PM   #7
...jammin

Trade: Rock Disciple
Rewards Points: 2,000

I roll 'em
I have never used this crap before and I pray to the paint gods that I never have to use it again, I would rather use Behr
Old 11-26-2006, 08:08 PM   #8
Pro

Trade: Residential Contractor

I use all of the techniques mentioned. Much depends on the job and what tools are 'wet' at the time. It all depends on the job.

Albert Einstein
Old 11-26-2006, 08:50 PM   #9
Pro

Doesn't a roller overlap too far. I understand the foam roller. However, a half or 3/8 would lab over too far. I do the slap at a down angle. Sometimes with a dark color though it leaves a little texture from the brush bristles. Lots of good advice though. Thanks.
Old 11-26-2006, 08:57 PM   #10
...jammin

Trade: Rock Disciple

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traditions View Post
Doesn't a roller overlap too far. I understand the foam roller. However, a half or 3/8 would lab over too far...
Nope
I usually use a 1/2"
Looks good
Customers like it

...I'm not pressing that thing in there to squeeze out paint, just a light touch works fine
I have never used this crap before and I pray to the paint gods that I never have to use it again, I would rather use Behr
Old 11-26-2006, 10:06 PM   #11

Trade: carpenter
Rewards Points: 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traditions View Post
I know what everyone is going to say. "learn to cut a straight line" I can cut a very straight line. I posted a thread a few months ago about who tapes and who doesn't and reasons why. We aren't going to get back into that. However, I just painted a house where the homeowner had two colors. When the deep red turned the corner the rest was white. That outside corner where the red and the white came together was tough. Inside corners are a breeze to cut a line. however, with such contrasting colors I really fought this. It ended up looking great but took a lot of time. Anyone have any tricks for this?
I just did a job where i had a dark red outside corner and the other side was off white. i used a foam brush to staighten the corner color, worked well.
Old 11-26-2006, 10:09 PM   #12
Back from the dead...

Trade: Paperhanger/Painter
Rewards Points: 7,510

Quote:
Originally Posted by slickshift View Post
Nope
I usually use a 1/2"
Looks good
Customers like it

...I'm not pressing that thing in there to squeeze out paint, just a light touch works fine
I've done that also, with a real dry roller.
Old 11-26-2006, 10:23 PM   #13
Pro

Trade: Historic Restorations
Rewards Points: 288

Try this method if you trust your tape. Say you have a red wall meeting a white wall (outside corner) Run your tape down the wall onto the red side. Now paint down the white side with the red paint.That will seal that side and the red paint will bleed back on to itself. When dry paint in the other colour. No bleed through and a nice clean line.Pull the tape off at a 45 angle.
Old 11-26-2006, 10:29 PM   #14
Pro

you could also run a small bead of caulk down the edge of the tape to seal it. wipe it in let it dry. Then paint. That is what I was thinking of doing. However, I would be an immortal using tape. I;m ok with that though.
Old 11-26-2006, 10:30 PM   #15
Pro

Trade: Residential Contractor

I use fine-line tape in other applications but it pulls housepaint off.

I'm confused.

Albert Einstein
Old 11-27-2006, 01:12 AM   #16
Pro

Rewards Points: 500

Depending on how tight it has to be, I use all the mentioned apps, but prefer to use a brush and get it perfectly straight. Looking at the corner so that you can't see the other color from one side of the wall.

Sometimes it involves sanding the corner down, sometimes using mud to get a new sharp corner. Sometimes i have both colors going at the same time. The colors make a big difference and red is hard to do. A straight corner helps too.
Old 11-27-2006, 03:25 AM   #17
Painting & Restoration

Trade: Painting Contractor

A roller thats not loaded and dripping should work fine as others have already said. Do not use too much pressure and my outside corners with contrasting colors are awe-inspiring.

Robert
Old 11-27-2006, 09:03 AM   #18
Pro

Rewards Points: 150

You ask a good question.

Never thought about a foam roller. Need to try that one.

All of the above...but I also have on hand a wet rag that I run down the opposite side of the wall to catch / clean up any paint that oozes on the other side. Works well.

Zeebo

Advertisement