Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

Crawfords vs Lightweight for new construction

2K views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  phinsher 
#1 ·
What do you prefer? I have always been taught to use Crawfords working for my previous employer for years, now i've been out on my own for a year I'm not sure. I just did a 4700 square ft. custom, with just myself and a helper and I had trouble sanding even with the medium blocks. I think I might have had troble because the time some of it sat on the trim before sanding. It slowed me down alot and though no one else noticed, I wasn't satisfied personally with the sanding. It wasnt perfect. I need something that sands a little easier and completely clean but wont leave a pit. Does anyone use the lightweight from Sherwin? It seemed to be good. I also tried DAP fast n final and didn't like it. I don't think it is made to dry sand much. HELP, I need an experienced opinion to get my nail hole prep perfected.

#2 ·
We've used S/W lightweight spackle for years. It applies easy and sands very easy. Once you work with it some you can easily obtain fills with no "pits". That being said I've always had to prime over it to keep it from flashing. I'm experimenting with the DAP Crackshot now (recommended on another board). Seems to apply easily, sand easily and did not flash on my sample pieces when painting over it with several of my favorite trim paints.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.