Cost Per Sq Foot

Old 12-02-2009, 10:23 AM   #1

Trade: Painting
Rewards Points: 10

Cost Per Sq Foot

I was wondering what the average cost per square foot of floor space was to paint a new construction custom home with custom colors and with only one color. I'm thinking somewhere around $2.25 per square foot for one color and $2.75 for custom colors. I am in Central New York... am I close with price?

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Old 12-02-2009, 11:54 AM   #2
Pro

Trade: General Contractor
Rewards Points: 250

Re: Cost Per Sq Foot

$3.50

Old 12-02-2009, 11:54 AM   #3
Dave from Macatawa

Trade: GC, cabinet maker and remodeler
Rewards Points: 250

for one coat you are close. as long as you like looking at primer.
Old 12-02-2009, 02:48 PM   #4
"Pro"

Trade: Construction Engineering Student
Rewards Points: 500
Send a message via AIM to Ayerzee

go to search and type in "pricing estimating and success" read the first thread it's a sticky

Honestly, if you can't figure your overhead and come up with your own price, what do you plan on contributing to this forum?
Old 12-02-2009, 02:54 PM   #5
Pro

Trade: Handyman
Rewards Points: 1,144

Quote:
Originally Posted by ANA Contracting View Post
I was wondering what the average cost per square foot of floor space was to paint a new construction custom home with custom colors and with only one color. I'm thinking somewhere around $2.25 per square foot for one color and $2.75 for custom colors. I am in Central New York... am I close with price?
First, welcome to the forum. Now take yourself up to the intro section and introduce yourself.

To answer your question, and I am tempted to give my standard tree-fiddy response, take and figure it out based on your costs of doing business. The problem is we have no idea how much your overhead and cost are.
When you have a handle on costs , ad in the profit.

If you want help, there are several companies that can help. RS Means or Craftsman books are good to start with.

I only gave you a break and gave you any answer is because of where you live. Howdy neighbor!
Old 12-02-2009, 03:19 PM   #6
Project Manager HFH..

Trade: GC
Rewards Points: 2,004

Quote:
Originally Posted by Framer53 View Post
First, welcome to the forum. Now take yourself up to the intro section and introduce yourself.

To answer your question, and I am tempted to give my standard tree-fiddy response, take and figure it out based on your costs of doing business. The problem is we have no idea how much your overhead and cost are.
When you have a handle on costs , ad in the profit.

If you want help, there are several companies that can help. RS Means or Craftsman books are good to start with.

I only gave you a break and gave you any answer is because of where you live. Howdy neighbor!
You ol' softy.
rselectric1 (12-02-2009)
Old 12-02-2009, 09:20 PM   #7
Pro

Trade: Making Everyone Happy
Rewards Points: 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by ANA Contracting View Post

For a new home In Nebraska the painting bid usually includes interior and exterior an average painting cost for a mid range home is 10-15k depends on colors quality and other things.

I would go off of your past experience figure out your time costs taxes and then figure out how much your time is worth.
Old 12-02-2009, 09:39 PM   #8
Pro

Trade: Licensed Electrical Contractor and Remodeler
Rewards Points: 3,344

Why do so many HO's that disquise themselves as contractors list painting as their profession?

My guess is that that it's the only thing they've ever tried at their house.
Pro painters (good ones) are indespensible. They are the last line of defense on all my jobs.

Painters: It p's me o to keep seeing that trade belittled.

GC's really really appreciate good painters.

Ayerzee (12-02-2009), JumboJack (12-02-2009), MALCO.New.York (12-02-2009), THINKPAINTING (12-03-2009)