Clear Coats For Metal

Old 05-29-2010, 06:22 PM   #1
Pro

Trade: Custom Metal Fabrication/Residential Construction
Rewards Points: 154

Clear Coats For Metal

Need a clear coat finish that will bond to raw metal without flaking off - also it has to be brushed on, cant spray it. I found a brush on type at HD it even looked good on the steel until you picked at it with your nail it started to flake.

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Old 05-29-2010, 06:41 PM   #2
Eater of sins.

Trade: Designer/Drafter Extraordinaire
Rewards Points: 1,670

Re: Clear Coats For Metal

I use "Permalaque" It comes in spray cans if you like or you can get it in quarts or gallons. I use it for clear-coating patinas that I apply to copper, stainless, aluminum, or galvi. trim.

You can order it on-line at http://www.sculptnouveau.com/

Debbie is an owner and they are great people to do business with, they will give you all the help you need in picking the right product for what ever you are doing.

Andy.

Old 05-29-2010, 11:18 PM   #3
Pro

I prefer spray cans but in this case I have to use a brush. Do you know what would work best with this stuff bristle or foam brush to avoid streaks? Also, it will be applied over just raw steel, no patinas or other types of treatments and that is the problem I have been having with adhereing. The product I was testing adheres just fine to steel with any type of patina on it but not to the raw steel itself. Have you heard of eastwoods diamond clear? Any good? The price is the same for both products by the gal or 4 quarts but its so pricey for the quantity I am going to need that I really need to be 100% sure on its performance. Thanks for the info, too bad its a long weekend, now I have to wait until tues to call them for answers before I order.
Old 05-30-2010, 01:01 AM   #4
Eater of sins.

Trade: Designer/Drafter Extraordinaire
Rewards Points: 1,670

Well I know that it bonds very well to copper that has just been burnished with a Scotch Brite pad. As for raw steel I do not have first hand experience but I bet it would work just as well.

Andy.
Old 05-30-2010, 06:35 PM   #5
Pro

The steel is pretty slick, the most I use on it is a knotted wire wheel or knotted wire cup brush. I put all the permalac in my shopping cart along with 1 gal of the metal cleaner they offer. Figure if its cleaned very good that would help in the bond. Just waiting for them to open tues so I can call them to see if they can let me know about the raw steel bond. Thank for all the help, pretty sure this stuff is the ticket.