Cleaning Behr Out Of Brushes

Old 12-12-2017, 05:48 PM   #1
Pro

Trade: Repairs & Finishing
Rewards Points: 924

Cleaning Behr Out Of Brushes

When I give an estimate, and the topic turns toward paint, among my stock answer is that I'll use Behr but I don't recommend (even after giving behr a second chance this yr.). Emphasizing this point. Sure enough, the last customer wanted. Offering a pick up they thought may help.

What I've noticed on behr interiors anyways it that it seems to vent a slightly different odor. Don't know what they've managed to formulate this with or act as a tint mechanism but SW and BM stand a world apart for cleaning, aside from the obvious.

As far as actually coaxing the material out of the brush, I'll have to say that it has to be one of the most difficult to come clean. Seems I always have to break out an alcohol rinse.

I guess there is still some hold out that it could just be me (or chosen colors)?

Last edited by artinall; 12-12-2017 at 05:56 PM.

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 12-13-2017, 08:46 AM   #2
This space for lease

Trade: Tool jocky
Rewards Points: 1,914

Re: Cleaning Behr Out Of Brushes

Behr is not the best paint out there, convenient if you're close to a Home Depot. I've used it and haven't noticed and "venting" color shift, whatever that means. All paints dry a shade or two off. Never noticed a cleaning issue. Just bid for a new brush.

Advertisement

Old 12-13-2017, 08:49 AM   #3
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangoWA View Post
Behr is not the best paint out there, convenient if you're close to a Home Depot. I've used it and haven't noticed and "venting" color shift, whatever that means. All paints dry a shade or two off. Never noticed a cleaning issue. Just bid for a new brush.
The odor, the smell. Seems it must be formulated different as I don't notice it with the others like this. And the color doesn't want to leave the brush.

Doesn't anyone notice how this stuff can be gunky?

Every time I go to paint with this brand I get this image of the drawn painter and his giant brush caricature pulling horrendously from a wall - was it the old penetrol cans ?

Last edited by artinall; 12-13-2017 at 08:57 AM.

Old 12-13-2017, 08:58 AM   #4
This space for lease

Trade: Tool jocky
Rewards Points: 1,914

Quote:
Originally Posted by artinall View Post
The odor, the smell. Seems it must be formulated different as I don't notice it with the others like this. And the color doesn't want to leave the brush.
Never noticed more of an odor with Behr but staining happens eventually. Depends more on the pigments than the brand.
Old 12-13-2017, 09:36 AM   #5
Pro

Trade: Gutters
Rewards Points: 1,363

Not a painter by trade but, I have noticed the gunk you mention. I think because it’s designed to dry fast to allow for homeowners to recoat the same day. A lot seems to dry in the brush as you use it no matter how wet you keep the brush.

I do paint a lot of fascia and soffit and always keep a can of brush cleaner in the truck. It works FAST and with a strainer and a funnel will last a long time.
Old 12-13-2017, 05:56 PM   #6
Pro

Trade: residential remodeling/construction
Rewards Points: 297

Occasionally I use Behr paint. I've never had a problem with it gunking up the brush. I always prewet the brush fully with water, and wrap it in a plastic bag between re-coats.
Old 12-13-2017, 06:09 PM   #7
John the Builder

Trade: Carpenter/Builder
Rewards Points: 7,184

Quote:
Originally Posted by artinall View Post
As far as actually coaxing the material out of the brush, I'll have to say that it has to be one of the most difficult to come clean. Seems I always have to break out an alcohol rinse.

I guess there is still some hold out that it could just be me (or chosen colors)?
You use ammonia?
Old 12-13-2017, 06:31 PM   #8

Trade: Painter
Rewards Points: 32

I've never been a fan of Behr. I got into my biggest fight ever with a customer over Behr paint. She insisted that I use it and I recommended something else. Well, after using her Behr paint and THREE coats later, the paint didn't cover and the surface was as rough as sandpaper, the fight was on. When I told her she was the one insisting I use the Behr paint she started spitting nails. After the job I vowed to NEVER use Behr again and I've kept that promise. I don't know much about the "gunking" issues, but, it doesn't surprise me with Behr paint.
Old 12-13-2017, 07:30 PM   #9
Pro

Trade: Handyman Services
Rewards Points: 10,555

Come to think of it, I have problem with it, too. It dries in the upper part of the brush and then requires rubbing the bristles together to get it loose (since I don't know where my brush comb happens to be).
Old 12-13-2017, 07:39 PM   #10
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmallTownGuy View Post
You use ammonia?
Never tried. Maybe if the bristles are okay with it...
Old 12-13-2017, 09:31 PM   #11

Trade: Painting, Landscaping, & Fence Installation
Rewards Points: 148

I never use behr. I'm preferential towards sherwin williams cashmere. But of course, that depends on the job.

Advertisement