Charging

 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 02-23-2007, 08:52 AM   #1
Wanna B a Pro
 
Cat_painter's Avatar
 
Trade: Painter
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Davenport, Iowa
Posts: 70
Rewards Points: 75
Send a message via Yahoo to Cat_painter

Charging


How do you all charge Square foot, per hour, per job. Why do you like this way better. Right now I charge per job.
__________________
Jill of all trades...Master at MOMMY
Cat_painter is offline  

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

   
 

Old 02-23-2007, 08:19 PM   #2
Pro
 
Workaholic's Avatar
 
Trade: Painting Contractor
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Huntsville Alabama
Posts: 1,463
Rewards Points: 500

Re: Charging


i charge the whole job, set price for sqft. This is new construction i am talking about. I would not want somebody counting my hrs.

__________________
Sean
Workaholic is offline  
Old 02-23-2007, 08:40 PM   #3
...jammin
 
slickshift's Avatar
 
Trade: Rock Disciple
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Cape Cod, Massachusetts
Posts: 5,234
Rewards Points: 2,000

Re: Charging


Interior repaints, by the job

There's waaaaaay to much that could affect production (and sanity) to do a set sq. ft. price for occupied interior repaints
__________________
Signature Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by ModernStyle
I have never used this crap before and I pray to the paint gods that I never have to use it again, I would rather use Behr
slickshift is offline  
Old 02-23-2007, 08:42 PM   #4
Mike Danahy
 
Danahy's Avatar
 
Trade: Signature Painter
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Ontario
Posts: 671
Rewards Points: 502

Re: Charging


Quote:
Originally Posted by slickshift View Post
Interior repaints, by the job

There's waaaaaay to much that could affect production (and sanity) to do a set sq. ft. price for occupied interior repaints
ditto this.

-sq ft pricing forces your bottom line to be an important factor.
-per hour doesn't work on repaints, as you are punished for how efficient or fast you become over the years, unless you charge an insane amount per hour which also has negative effects, as now you're expected to work at a constant pace, and personally I like being able to have an off, lazy day every now and then.

Last edited by Danahy; 02-23-2007 at 08:47 PM.
Danahy is online now  
Old 02-24-2007, 05:15 AM   #5
Pro
 
Dave Mac's Avatar
 
Trade: Painting Contractor
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 555
Rewards Points: 504

Re: Charging


Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat_painter View Post
How do you all charge Square foot, per hour, per job. Why do you like this way better. Right now I charge per job.
how do you come up with the price per job??

thanks
dave mac
Dave Mac is offline  
Old 02-24-2007, 10:10 AM   #6
Mike Danahy
 
Danahy's Avatar
 
Trade: Signature Painter
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Ontario
Posts: 671
Rewards Points: 502

Re: Charging


Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Mac View Post
how do you come up with the price per job??

thanks
dave mac
Hi Dave,

Experience and repetition worked for me. I know pretty much to the 1/2 hr how long it would take me to do something, what I need to cover my costs, and how much my competition charge.

Example:
Spare Rooms usually
$200 + $60 for materials + tx.

Master Bdrm usally
$300 + $100 for materials + tx.

etc. etc.
Danahy is online now  
Old 02-24-2007, 11:16 AM   #7
Member
 
needham's Avatar
 
Trade: paint
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 47
Rewards Points: 25

Re: Charging


Quote:
Originally Posted by Danahy View Post
Hi Dave,

Experience and repetition worked for me. I know pretty much to the 1/2 hr how long it would take me to do something, what I need to cover my costs, and how much my competition charge.

Example:
Spare Rooms usually
$200 + $60 for materials + tx.

Master Bdrm usally
$300 + $100 for materials + tx.

etc. etc.

thats nice danahy....with those two rooms you just quoted how much of that total is profit?
needham is offline  
Old 02-24-2007, 01:09 PM   #8
Mike Danahy
 
Danahy's Avatar
 
Trade: Signature Painter
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Ontario
Posts: 671
Rewards Points: 502

Re: Charging


Quote:
Originally Posted by needham View Post
thats nice danahy....with those two rooms you just quoted how much of that total is profit?
About 25% of total labour would be profit.

Let's examine the spare room;

3 hrs @ $40 / hr for spare room (1 hr per each coat 1 hr prep). = $120
3 hrs worth of profit = $50
3 hrs worth of overhead = $30
Profit on materials about $15 depending on type needed/used.
Tax extra, billed for the man.

You asked what was profit for both rooms, I've given you a look at one room. Take it or leave it, doesn't matter to me.

Good Luck, and try to enjoy the weekend alittle.
Danahy is online now  
Old 02-24-2007, 03:51 PM   #9
Painting Contractor
 
DelW's Avatar
 
Trade: Painting Contractor
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Pekin, IL
Posts: 253
Rewards Points: 250

Re: Charging


Quote:
Originally Posted by Danahy View Post
ditto this.

I like being able to have an off, lazy day every now and then.
__________________
If love is blind, why do they make Lingerie?
DelW is offline  
Old 02-24-2007, 04:09 PM   #10
Member
 
needham's Avatar
 
Trade: paint
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 47
Rewards Points: 25

Re: Charging


Quote:
Originally Posted by Danahy View Post
About 25% of total labour would be profit.

Let's examine the spare room;

3 hrs @ $40 / hr for spare room (1 hr per each coat 1 hr prep). = $120
3 hrs worth of profit = $50
3 hrs worth of overhead = $30
Profit on materials about $15 depending on type needed/used.
Tax extra, billed for the man.

thanks that explains a lot. I can only assume that would be with you painting it and NOT paying an employee to do i. thanks again

needham is offline  


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Charging for quotes phillter General Discussion 4 03-06-2007 11:26 AM
Yellow Jacket Test and Charging Manifold man6_27260 Contractor Swap 0 03-04-2007 02:28 AM
What are you charging to upgrade Res. services? steve-in-kville Electrical 1 09-29-2006 12:11 AM
charging for repairs you couldn't make scottstef Business 3 08-24-2006 09:08 AM
Charging for sundries mdshunk Business 27 11-06-2005 01:53 AM

Join Now... It's Fast and FREE!

I am a professional contractor
I am a DIY Homeowner
Drywall Talk is for
PROFESSIONAL CONTRACTORS ONLY!

At DrywallTalk.com we cater exlusivly to professional contractors who make their living as a contractor. Knowing that many homeowners and DIYers are looking for a community to call home, we've created www.DIYChatroom.com DIY Chatroom is full of helpful advices and perfect for DIY homeowners.

Redirecing in 10 seconds
No Thanks
terms of service

Already Have an Account?