Caulking Cracks On Stucco Is Extremely Noticable

Old 11-05-2005, 11:58 AM   #1
Pro

Rewards Points: 75

Caulking Cracks On Stucco Is Extremely Noticable

hello guys, just wanted to see if you guys encounter the same problem when caulking cracks on the stucco of homes. Ive noticed that on homes with that orange peel type textured stucco which is fairly smooth when i caulk the cracks even after painting they become extremely noticable. It leaves a trail wherever the crack was sealed with caulking. I have tried several things to try to solve the problem, i have smoothed out the caulking with a brush and water, i have also used a wet rag i have even put two coats of paint and you can still tell wherever i caulked. I know that the problem is that wherever you caulk it changes the texture of the stucco, but is there a solution to this? if i leave the cracks as is then you can still tell because you see the crack, if i fix it by caulking them then the problem is solved because the crack is sealed but you can still see wherever the cracks were. Is this normal or is there a way to solve it?

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 11-07-2005, 10:26 PM   #2
Pro Painter

Trade: Painting Contractor
Rewards Points: 1,000

Re: Caulking Cracks On Stucco Is Extremely Noticable

That's pretty much what you get with stucco. It's going to crack all over the place eventually. I see a ton of it here in FL where it's almost all stucco in new construction now days. Unless you want to dig out the crack, patch it, and match the texture, then caulk is about all you can do.

Try to keep the caulk inside the crack only, and have none on the surface. Also, try a quality block filler as a primer coat after caulking, and then use a good stucco paint like Loxon that goes on real thick.

I'm saying that because it seems part of the issue may be flashing causing your caulk to stand out, but I'm just guessing. You'll still have smoother areas where the caulk is but they won't be as noticable.

Forgot to say, you should also think about caulking cracks in stucco twice. The first go round usually shrinks in a little and looks bad, but a second time and it'll look good. If it's more than 1/8" crack....caulk isn't going to look good under any circumstance.

Advertisement

Last edited by AAPaint; 11-07-2005 at 10:29 PM.
Old 11-07-2005, 11:49 PM   #3
Pro

Rewards Points: 75

yeah thats exactly what i am going to have to tell the owner. There really isn't much else i can do. I kept that caulking within the crack and smoothed out the edges real good. Unless she wants those areas retextured.

Thanks for the response man, it feels good to know that someone has had this same problem.
Old 09-19-2011, 12:04 AM   #4

Trade: c35
Rewards Points: 10

here is the proper way to caulk cracks in stucco. They do make a caulking with sand in it, apply it as you would normally and float it with a sponge float. For larger cracks that you can stick your fingers in see hows it's done in my you tube videos (i have about 100 of them) Type in stuccoplastering on you tube.
http://youtu.be/oqm0D_p_308 I have been a stucco contractor for about 30 years and know how to fix any crack properly no matter how sandy the finish is.
Best wishes. Kirk giordano plastering
Old 09-19-2011, 12:10 AM   #5
Pro

Trade: Exteriors
Rewards Points: 250

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirk giordano View Post
here is the proper way to caulk cracks in stucco. They do make a caulking with sand in it, apply it as you would normally and float it with a sponge float. For larger cracks that you can stick your fingers in see hows it's done in my you tube videos (i have about 100 of them) Type in stuccoplastering on you tube.
http://youtu.be/oqm0D_p_308 I have been a stucco contractor for about 30 years and know how to fix any crack properly no matter how sandy the finish is.
Best wishes. Kirk giordano plastering
You answered a 6 year old thread but I like your video.
Old 09-19-2011, 12:24 AM   #6

Trade: c35
Rewards Points: 10

amazing these question continue to appear after all this time. I will read a bit more before I respond next time have a nice evening, kirk Giordano plastering

Last edited by kirk giordano; 09-19-2011 at 01:08 AM.
Old 09-19-2011, 01:01 AM   #7
Pro

Trade: Exteriors
Rewards Points: 250

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirk giordano View Post
amazing these question continue to appear after all this time. I will read a bit more before I respond nest time have a nice evening, kirk Giordano plastering
You have allot of good stuff on your youtube channel. I would suggest you stop by the introductions section and introduce yourself to the board.

Advertisement

The Following User Says Thank You to rock16 For This Useful Post:
kirk giordano (09-19-2011)