Brush And Roll Or Spray

Old 10-12-2017, 04:30 PM   #1

Trade: Handyman
Rewards Points: 4

Brush And Roll Or Spray

Painters,

I'm painting 2 rooms in an old house. Both are kind of funky with curved ceilings, multiple windows with victorian trim plus odd shaped closets that will be painted. This is a lived in house, but of course rooms will be emptied out for painting. Just wondering best way to go about this and how to decide between brush/roll and spraying. Do some of you ALWAYS spray? Is it generally worth it to go through all the work of masking since spraying is so fast. Each room is 2 colors, one for walls and one for trim.

Spraying question-how do you handle the overspray that gets in the air? Open a window, completely tarp the floor? Should the door to the room be sealed with tape so overspray does not float to other areas of the house?

I haven't done enough painting to own a sprayer but will consider it for this job and future jobs.

Thanks for your insights!

C

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 10-12-2017, 06:50 PM   #2
Pro

Trade: Remodeling
Rewards Points: 2,366

Re: Brush And Roll Or Spray

It's 2 freakin rooms. You plan on spraying all ceilings, walls and trim? If you don't have experience spraying and masking you shouldn't be learning in an occupied victorian house at the homeowners expense.

Advertisement

Last edited by avenge; 10-12-2017 at 06:52 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to avenge For This Useful Post:
EC Painter (10-17-2017)
Old 10-12-2017, 09:40 PM   #3

Trade: Handyman
Rewards Points: 4

No worries, have used a sprayer many times, not so much on interiors except for remodels and a pressed tin ceiling where it worked absolutely perfect but had to mask the entire room.

I'll rephrase the question...

At what point would you choose to spray interior rooms (with architectural details) in an occupied home? (Maybe it's never)

Thanks

Old 10-12-2017, 09:47 PM   #4
Pro

Trade: I'll do that for 500 bucks.
Rewards Points: 6,366

I'd roll and brush. By the time you tape and mask all the detail work, then retape the walls or trim, you could be done.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
CeRoy (10-12-2017), KAP (10-12-2017)
Old 10-12-2017, 10:55 PM   #5
Pro

Trade: remodeling
Rewards Points: 1,683

Sometimes just spraying fancy trim makes sense. The question is always what's going to be the fastest way to get the results you're looking for. On a single room, spraying setup and clean up is going to eat your lunch, but it isn't out of the question for 2 rooms with fancy trim, etc.

If you just spray ceiling and trim, there isn't much masking involved. Spraying walls around fancy trim may need a lot of masking....

How fast can you roll and cut, vs mask and spray?
The Following User Says Thank You to hdavis For This Useful Post:
CeRoy (10-13-2017)
Old 10-12-2017, 11:50 PM   #6
edward trowelhands

Trade: Diplomat
Rewards Points: 3,196

Mask the floors and glass, spray trim, brush and roll everything else. Generally the fastest way to do it.

FFLP tip, close off the room you're in, good spraying technique can limit overspray.
The Following User Says Thank You to Golden view For This Useful Post:
CeRoy (10-13-2017)
Old 10-13-2017, 12:04 AM   #7

Trade: Plasterer/ Painter
Rewards Points: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by CeRoy View Post
Painters,

I'm painting 2 rooms in an old house. Both are kind of funky with curved ceilings, multiple windows with victorian trim plus odd shaped closets that will be painted. This is a lived in house, but of course rooms will be emptied out for painting. Just wondering best way to go about this and how to decide between brush/roll and spraying. Do some of you ALWAYS spray? Is it generally worth it to go through all the work of masking since spraying is so fast. Each room is 2 colors, one for walls and one for trim.

Spraying question-how do you handle the overspray that gets in the air? Open a window, completely tarp the floor? Should the door to the room be sealed with tape so overspray does not float to other areas of the house?

I haven't done enough painting to own a sprayer but will consider it for this job and future jobs.

Thanks for your insights!

C
if the rooms will be empty and you want to invest in a good sprayer buy a graco true coat airless sprayer, easy to clean easy to start easy to unclog, just have to have at least 4 paint containers for the machine, spray closets, trims, and ceilings brush and roll walls if walls too curved use a thicker roller if wall is in bad shape u wont skimcoat just paint try to use flat finish will hide alot imperfection or at least a matt finish, u dont need much masking protect the floors with paper and window with plastic .. properly this is what i would do.. and this sprayer grate finish very easy coast around 250 not much over spray,worth it to me. good lucky.
The Following User Says Thank You to LU'Plaster For This Useful Post:
CeRoy (10-13-2017)
Old 10-17-2017, 05:19 AM   #8

Trade: painting & flooring
Rewards Points: 120

we would brush and roll that job.
Old 10-17-2017, 06:29 AM   #9
Pro

Trade: Painting and wallpaper
Rewards Points: 2,026

I rarely consider interior spraying in occupied homes.

Advertisement

The Following User Says Thank You to Ohio painter For This Useful Post:
ScipioAfricanus (10-17-2017)