Best Primer & Paint For Porch Railings ?

Old 05-04-2008, 03:54 PM   #1

Trade: Finish Carpentry
Rewards Points: 10

Best Primer & Paint For Porch Railings ?

Hi Guys: I need to repaint some white exterior porch railings. The substrate is definitely pressure treated, and I think pine(?) that was painted about 4-5 years ago with Behr DeckPlus Solid Color (white) Deck, Fence & Siding woodstain (100% Acrylic latex). This is the only coating that has been applied. It is now peeling in spots. I think it would be very difficult to completely strip, so I'm thinking I will wash, scrape/sand and then apply new primer and paint (white), preferring to use the best possible combination of the two. This is in SW Missouri, i.e. relatively high humidity and the railings are exposed to sun mostly all day. What primer/paint brands would you recommend? Oil or latex primer? I really appreciate your comments.

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Old 05-06-2008, 01:16 PM   #2
Pro

Trade: hack painting

Re: Best Primer & Paint For Porch Railings ?

Exposed horizontal wood surfaces won't hold paint for long.

I'd use an oil base exterior wood primer, and acrylic latex...might last 2 years.

Old 05-17-2008, 06:43 PM   #3
Pro

Trade: Remodeling Contractor
Rewards Points: 1,014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Richards View Post
Exposed horizontal wood surfaces won't hold paint for long.

I'd use an oil base exterior wood primer, and acrylic latex...might last 2 years.
curious, reason why?
Old 05-17-2008, 11:20 PM   #4
...jammin

Trade: Rock Disciple
Rewards Points: 2,000

I'm shocked the Behr solid stain took 4-5 years to peel
...really

But anyway...no paint
More solid stain
You'll have to get rid of any/all of that Behr crap though
Anything that's not really firmly adhered
I have never used this crap before and I pray to the paint gods that I never have to use it again, I would rather use Behr
Old 05-18-2008, 08:54 AM   #5
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by plazaman View Post
curious, reason why?
Old base primer soaks in, drys waterproof. Acrylic flexes with the wood during changes in temperatures.

*lighting my pipe, and putting my feet up*

I had a problem handrail once. It was all the way around a massive deck. It had been painted w/oil base gloss, and by the time the guy called me it was shot, peeling and rotting everywhere.

Stripping would have cost more than replacing. I told him that nothing I could put on it would last. It wasn't that he didn't believe me, but he ask me to do what I could. I told him it'd have to be T&M, and that we'd do some experimenting.

So I replaced a few of the (2x4 douglas fir) sections on the sunny side.
One I primed w/oil, painted latex acrylic.
Another I primed latex, painted latex.
And on one I stained w/solid color oil stain. (I'm pretty sure it was Olympic, but it was a long time ago).
The next Summer all had peeled (the oil stain more "flaked" than peeled), but oilprime/acrylic held up best.

So every year I'd go back up (he lived in the mountains) do some sanding, priming and painting-as needed on the old painted areas, to keep that handrailing looking nice until the next year. I know what some of you are thinking...but it kept him happy. And besides...they weren't MY handrails.

Over the years I also tried many different wood fillers, hardeners, and caulking up there, but that's another story..

BTW..the deck floor I stripped and put a semi transparent oil stain on, and it lasted longer than the homeowner. But he was in his 80's when I first met him.

And that's why I said: "Exposed horizontal wood surfaces won't hold paint for long.
I'd use an oil base exterior wood primer, and acrylic latex...might last 2 years."

But I'd also add: unless you can start over and use a semi transparent oil stain.
Old 05-18-2008, 08:15 PM   #6
Pro

Trade: Painting & Remodeling
Rewards Points: 250

We offer a pretty solid warranty on all our work, however I will not and do not offer a warranty on porch/deck floors and handrails. Solid color stain is what I have seen last the longets but the floor will need touch up every year.
Old 05-22-2008, 08:36 AM   #7

Trade: Finish Carpentry
Rewards Points: 10

Thanks to all of you for your comments. To clarify one thing, the Behr stain did begin to peel after about two years on the top handrails (horizontal) but all the other surfaces were ok. At that point, the owner slapped a single coat of Glidden Gripper latex primer just on the top surface of the handrails which lasted another 18 mos or so. I have now power washed and the stain on all surfaces just came flying off, i.e. it was all just loosely stuck on. At least 60% of all the original stuff came off. I then sanded and lightly powerwashed again to remove all the flakes/dust. I then talked to my local SWilliams dealer and the SWilliams online help and they both said the same thing. They recommended prime with A-100 oil and cover with one or two coats of their "All Surface Enamel". I think I will try that and see how long it lasts. Thanks again.
Old 05-22-2008, 09:23 AM   #8
Pro

Sounds good to me, gtmeade.

An enamel wouldn't be my first choice, but I sure don't know everything..
(I don't tell my kids that though)

I hope you'll come back in a year or two and let us know how it holds up.

The keys to a successful paint job:
1. Don't get hurt
2. Get paid
3. Make the customer happy enough that he'll call you again next time.

Good luck