Best Primer For The Job?

Old 09-06-2017, 05:47 PM   #1
Fugetaboutit

Trade: Professional fixer upper
Rewards Points: 328

Best Primer For The Job?

Ok, here is my problem for the day:

I am rehabbing some units.
One of my tasks is to paint them back to standard colors. (they are now very vibrant colors... like a clown's underwear)

They pay me by the coat, and are complaining about the cost.
I've been using kilz MAX followed by 2 coats of their paint (Ben moore).
It still flashes through and I end up putting another coat or two.

Is there a better primer with he following criteria:
Must be water clean-up
Must be available at Home Depot.. (they supply the primer, and only have credit at home depot)
Cost isn't a factor

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 09-06-2017, 05:58 PM   #2
Pro

Trade: Handyman Services
Rewards Points: 7,775

Re: Best Primer For The Job?

Which Ben Moore paint are you using?

Advertisement

Old 09-06-2017, 06:09 PM   #3
Pro

Trade: Custom
Rewards Points: 20,430

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lunicy View Post
They pay me by the coat, and are complaining about the cost.

Cost isn't a factor
Uhm...
The Following User Says Thank You to KAP For This Useful Post:
NJGC (09-06-2017)

Old 09-06-2017, 06:11 PM   #4
Fugetaboutit

I'm pretty sure it's Super Spec. I don't recall for certain.. They supply that too.
Old 09-06-2017, 06:19 PM   #5
Pro

Quote:
I'm pretty sure it's Super Spec. I don't recall for certain.. They supply that too.
No wonder.

Instead of priming, you could do it all in two coats of behr ultra since they're so hung up on HD.
The Following User Says Thank You to MarkJames For This Useful Post:
EthanB (09-06-2017)
Old 09-06-2017, 06:22 PM   #6
Pro

Or..if they're hung up on the Super Spec....and you don't want to rock the boat....use Behr ultra tinted as your primer coat. (When I say tinted, I mean color match to your finish coat)

Last edited by MarkJames; 09-06-2017 at 06:28 PM.
Old 09-06-2017, 06:23 PM   #7
Talking Head

Trade: Poking Things With Sticks
Rewards Points: 870

I agree with MarkJames, even though I hate all things Behr. They're spending as much on cheap paint and expensive primer as they would with a better hiding paint. I was going to suggest tinting the primer but it will really be more cost effective to use the best hiding paint they can get and save a coats worth of labor.
The Following User Says Thank You to EthanB For This Useful Post:
allaboutfun (09-08-2017)
Old 09-06-2017, 07:17 PM   #8
Fugetaboutit

Quote:
Originally Posted by EthanB View Post
I agree with MarkJames, even though I hate all things Behr. They're spending as much on cheap paint and expensive primer as they would with a better hiding paint. I was going to suggest tinting the primer but it will really be more cost effective to use the best hiding paint they can get and save a coats worth of labor.
I know that, but you can't get them to change. I had to show them specifically that 2 coats of Ben Moore wouldn't cover. They assured me it would. I had to actually paint 2 coats (on a small section) to prove to them it wouldn't. Went a far as to paint a 3rd... just to show them it still wouldn't cover. That's how I convinced them that it needed primer.

I'm going to try Behr ultra tinted and see how that goes. I can convince them that it's a special primer. LOL
Old 09-06-2017, 08:41 PM   #9
Pro

Trade: Gutters
Rewards Points: 1,307

Quote:
I know that, but you can't get them to change. I had to show them specifically that 2 coats of Ben Moore wouldn't cover. They assured me it would. I had to actually paint 2 coats (on a small section) to prove to them it wouldn't. Went a far as to paint a 3rd... just to show them it still wouldn't cover. That's how I convinced them that it needed primer.

I'm going to try Behr ultra tinted and see how that goes. I can convince them that it's a special primer. LOL

Huh?
If you're paid by the coat why are you trying to convince them of anything. If they want you to paint Benjamin Moore all day just paint Benjamin Moore even if it needs seven coats, you'll get rich. They obviously don't want to take your advice. If they want to tell you how when why and where to do it then you're an employee... follow their directions.
Old 09-06-2017, 09:05 PM   #10
Pro

Trade: Home improvement contractor
Rewards Points: 992

paints get worse and worse every year. You might stand a chance of two top coats with BM Classic or select.
Old 09-06-2017, 09:36 PM   #11
Talking Head

Trade: Poking Things With Sticks
Rewards Points: 870

Quote:

Ben Moore Aura would most likely cover well in two coats. I wouldn't accept the position they are putting you in. Either let me specify materials or be quiet when your selections cause more work and cost. It sounds like you are accepting responsibility for their selections. This is also why I almost never worked T&M. Too much penny pinching and second guessing.
Old 09-06-2017, 10:37 PM   #12
Pro

Trade: Remodeling
Rewards Points: 2,024

Quote:

I'm assuming that you're really not a professional painter and you're taking directions from people whom also aren't professional painters. So both are trying to convince the other but neither have a clue.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to avenge For This Useful Post:
allaboutfun (09-08-2017), WBailey1041 (09-07-2017)
Old 09-07-2017, 09:00 PM   #13
Pro

Trade: Painting, flooring
Rewards Points: 958

Ehat kind of nap are you using? The right one will make a difference.

Super spec is mediocre.

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk
Old 09-07-2017, 11:13 PM   #14
Accidental Painter

Trade: Who's paying?
Rewards Points: 1,258

You need to get your azz a mil thickness gauge. There is absolutely no reason for 4 coats of anything. Stop dry rolling, and put that crap on thick and let it dry overnight between coats.

3 coats is the absolute max for an extreme color change. Especially if your using killz primer. If your wanting to speed up, use oil that has a faster recoat time.
Old 09-08-2017, 03:20 PM   #15
Fugetaboutit

Quote:
Originally Posted by avenge View Post
I'm assuming that you're really not a professional painter and you're taking directions from people whom also aren't professional painters. So both are trying to convince the other but neither have a clue.
Am indeed a pro. The job encompasses way more than just paint. The paint pays the least. I know they have no damn clue, but they are banking on the many years of their drunken maintenance men over me.
If I balk too much, they move on to the other guy.

I make a ton of $$ doing the other work, but have to do the paint as well.. to keep the other work. There is no way in hell I'd charge what I charge for the paint alone.
Old 09-08-2017, 03:25 PM   #16
Fugetaboutit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Driftweed View Post
3 coats is the absolute max for an extreme color change. Especially if your using killz primer. If your wanting to speed up, use oil that has a faster recoat time.
Teach me.. kilz max then 2 coats of ben moore SS. It bleeds bad. Much thicker, and it drips. What's the trick?

Customer doesn't want oil based....They don't like the smell.
Old 09-08-2017, 03:28 PM   #17
Fugetaboutit

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparehair View Post
Ehat kind of nap are you using? The right one will make a difference.

Super spec is mediocre.

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk
Wooster woven, 1/2"
Old 09-08-2017, 03:32 PM   #18
Fugetaboutit

Quote:
Originally Posted by WBailey1041 View Post
Huh?
If you're paid by the coat why are you trying to convince them of anything. If they want you to paint Benjamin Moore all day just paint Benjamin Moore even if it needs seven coats, you'll get rich. They obviously don't want to take your advice. If they want to tell you how when why and where to do it then you're an employee... follow their directions.
Because the money comes with the repairs and prep. They don't pay much for the actual paint work. I make alot of money with them and all the other work.

SO, if they start getting snippy about it taking too many coats, they move on to the next guy.
I lose the other work and money as well.
Old 09-08-2017, 05:04 PM   #19
Pro

Trade: remodeling
Rewards Points: 1,963

Quote:
Teach me.. kilz max then 2 coats of ben moore SS. It bleeds bad. Much thicker, and it drips. What's the trick?

Customer doesn't want oil based....They don't like the smell.
Driftweed is a spray rig guy. You can spray a wicked thick coat.
Old 09-08-2017, 05:47 PM   #20
Pro

Trade: Custom
Rewards Points: 20,430

Quote:
Because the money comes with the repairs and prep. They don't pay much for the actual paint work. I make alot of money with them and all the other work.

SO, if they start getting snippy about it taking too many coats, they move on to the next guy.
I lose the other work and money as well.
You might want to consider that you can only present them with reality... you can't control what they're going to do with it... part of being the pro is knowing when to tell them when they're working against themselves and why...

You've been given ample reasons and path's forward... instead of twisting yourself in knots with fear of "what if's", do yourself and your customer a favor and make a decision and move forward... the more you sit on it, the less they have reason to trust your opinion on it and feed into their reason to open up the opportunity to use someone else...

Advertisement

Last edited by KAP; 09-08-2017 at 05:51 PM.