Ben Moore Penetrating Oil Primer

Old 07-04-2010, 10:44 AM   #1
New Guy

Trade: Remodeler
Rewards Points: 10

Ben Moore Penetrating Oil Primer

Three days ago I pumped Ben Moore alkyd slow dry penetrating oil primer on the exterior of my house. Why not four hour dry? The four hour dry can does not claim penetrating adhering or bonding. Anyway that was the debate at the dealer where I bought 35 gallons to pump.

Since it is not yet dry and the humid wether is coming I was just curios about when the finish coat can be applied. I am assuming it may be best but not necessary for it to be completely cured. With no rush on finishing I was wondering how long this stuff can possibly stop moving around to the touch.

My best guess is it will be ready by the time all of the spiders have set up there webs again

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Old 07-05-2010, 03:48 AM   #2
paper hanger,painter

Trade: wallpaper hanger,painter
Rewards Points: 500
Send a message via Yahoo to chris n

Re: Ben Moore Penetrating Oil Primer

pumped?

Old 07-05-2010, 06:51 AM   #3
New Guy

Airless sprayer
Old 07-05-2010, 09:03 AM   #4
Pro

Trade: GENERAL CONSTRUCTION
Rewards Points: 762

BENJAMIN MOORE®
FRESH START® MOORWHITE®
PENETRATING ALKYD PRIMER 100

• For best results, top coat
should be applied within a
reasonable length of time —
preferably no more than one
month after priming

Technical Assistance
Available through your local authorized independent Benjamin Moore & Co.
retailer. For the location of the retailer nearest you, call 1-800-826-2623, see
www.benjaminmoore.com, or consult your local Yellow Pages.

Technical Data.

White

Vehicle Type
Alkyd
Pigment Type

Titanium Dioxide
Volume Solids

66%
Theoretical Coverage At
Recommended Film
Thickness
500 – 550 Sq. Ft.
Film Thickness
— Wet
— Dry
3.1 mils2.1 mils
Dry Time @ 77° F
(25° C) @ 50% RH
— Set to Touch— To Handle
— To Recoat
— To Service
6 Hours6 Hours
Overnight
Overnight

Dries By
Evaporation, Oxidation
Viscosity

Last edited by MAULEMALL; 07-05-2010 at 09:07 AM.
Old 07-05-2010, 09:09 AM   #5
Pro

Trade: GENERAL CONSTRUCTION
Rewards Points: 762

I obviously edited the page from this page...
http://www.benjaminmoore.com/bmpsweb...ge#description
Old 07-05-2010, 10:48 AM   #6
Paintcraft

Trade: painting

I understand why you used that primer; we've been using it (or similar long-oil primers) on exterior wood for years with good results. The BM primer is normally good to go after drying overnight, but we make it a point to apply a thin coat, worked well into the substrate. Based on the slow drying that you're seeing, I have a couple of questions. What sort of application rate did you use? From the slow dry time, it sounds as if you may have applied a pretty thick coat. Did you really use 35 gallons of primer? I ask that because, at the recommended spread rate, that would be at least 17,500 square feet. Even allowing for spray loss, that's a honkin' big house. Did you back-brush the sprayed primer? Our experience has been that it takes a big crew to back-brush behind an airless in a timely fashion. Otherwise, you're back-brushing primer or paint that's been on the wall for awhile and has already started to dry. What was the moisture content of the walls when you applied the primer? We see some guys around here priming within a day or two after they've power-washed a house, which may be pushing it, even on our driest days.

If you do have a thicker than recommended film thickness, it's probably better to let it dry for a few more days. As rule of thumb that we use is to cover ooil-based primer within a week to minimize saponification.
Old 07-05-2010, 10:55 AM   #7
Paintcraft

I just re-read the original post and saw the part about "moving around to the touch"! That definetely sounds like a thick build for an oil primer. I can't come up with a citation, but it was probably one of the paint rags (trade magazines) that talked about the difference in alkyd versus acrylic primers. The upshot of it all was that oil primers should be applied in a very thin film to maximixe penetration and retain flexibility, while acrylics perform better with a substantially thicker build.
Old 07-05-2010, 01:13 PM   #8
New Guy

Hi All thanks for your support.
Yes I was power washing a week earlier Yes I have a heavy coat over a lighter coat. The soffits are the heaviest and are firmer every day. This house
has large sections of concrete blocks poured in the shape of oversized brick. The brick has heavy latex that did not power wash off. I was spraying to fill the mortar angles then covered as thin of a coat as possible with an 8 inch fan tip. that single coat is still moving around some. I recoated all of the window glaze and unexposed wood and anything not filled by the spray with a brush after spray day. the house is 3500 square feet with 5 foot overhangs 2.5 levels. It is a monster to me since I am alone on it. Prep still took two weeks including changing all rotten sections. The heat started today.

Last edited by Likeason; 07-05-2010 at 01:18 PM.
Old 07-05-2010, 04:22 PM   #9
Paintcraft

My back-of-the-envelope calculations come up with something on the order of 7000 ft^2, so it sounds like you may have put on a pretty thick coat. Something that size would normally take abuot 15 gallons of primer at the recommended coverage. If you're using an 8-inch fan tip, that may explain some of it. In my experience, that's an awfully dense pattern for oil primer/paint. I'm also surprised that you went with an oil primer for CMUs. Unless otherwise specified, most oil primers are not particularly alkali resistant, but latexes are very good in that regard.

Your profile doesn't mention where you are, but I'd be concerned if you're in an areas with wide seasonal temperature variations. It's my experience that thick layers of oil-based primer are brittle enough that they'll fail prematurely when subjected to wide swings in temperature.
Old 07-06-2010, 10:02 AM   #10
New Guy

Thank you guys so much. I thought I would get good advise from the dealer. This site makes more sense. It is thick and still drying good thing I have a month to apply the finish
I will come back and let everyone know how soon pre mature failure takes.