Behr Premium Or Valspar?

Old 01-29-2013, 03:30 PM   #1

Trade: Painting
Rewards Points: 10

Behr Premium Or Valspar?

I have been using Behr products for the past year. Recently, A customer bought the paint and I ended up using Valspar. It seemed to out perform the Behr. I am curious to hear what the rest of you think?

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Old 01-29-2013, 04:20 PM   #2
Pro

Trade: Historic Exterior Painter
Rewards Points: 150

Re: Behr Premium Or Valspar?

Between the two, Valspar's premium line wins. It's not bad paint for $28 a gallon.

Old 01-29-2013, 10:34 PM   #3
Pro

Trade: General Contractor
Rewards Points: 176

I used Valspar that a customer provided once. I hated it. Let two of my other guys give it a go, without telling them how I felt.

One of my guys got so pizzed off, that he called Lowes, complained, got the number for the Valspar rep, and called him with his complaints.

What did we hate about it? It ran like crazy. Cutting in walls to the ceiling, and when you were at the end of the run, you had to go back and brush out all the runs again.

I'll admit I'm not a great painter, but my two workers are darn good at it. We all still refuse to work with Valspar.

We use Behr on occasion, but primarily use Diamond Vogel, or Sherwin Williams superpaint.
Old 01-30-2013, 12:42 AM   #4
Pro

Trade: Contractor
Rewards Points: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by joethepainter View Post
Between the two, Valspar's premium line wins. It's not bad paint for $28 a gallon.
My feelings also. Very very rarely touch behr anymore. I've not had any issues with Valspar's signature series.

Like BM & SW, but they're getting really pricey here in our area.
Old 01-30-2013, 06:39 PM   #5
Back from the dead...

Trade: Paperhanger/Painter
Rewards Points: 2,004

I thought everything outperforms behr.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ProWallGuy For This Useful Post:
princelake (01-30-2013), rbriggs82 (03-04-2013), ToolNut (02-03-2013)
Old 01-30-2013, 06:42 PM   #6
Pro

Trade: Construction
Rewards Points: 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProWallGuy View Post
Nope Behr outperforms everything. consumer reports said so
Old 01-30-2013, 06:46 PM   #7
Pro

Trade: Building Trades
Rewards Points: 200

I've done some painting. Not a lot but, I've never had a problem with paint. Most people get valspar medallion from our lumber yard, I have also used wal-mart paint and several others. I've never had a problem with any kind of paint.
Old 02-02-2013, 05:43 PM   #8
Pro

Trade: Painter / Paper Hanger / Wood Refinishing
Rewards Points: 180

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuFast View Post
I've done some painting. Not a lot but, I've never had a problem with paint. Most people get valspar medallion from our lumber yard, I have also used wal-mart paint and several others. I've never had a problem with any kind of paint.
Surely your not saying all paints are created equal, it just ain't so! Top of the line quality product DOES make a difference both on ease of application, coverage and finished look.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JTemple For This Useful Post:
svronthmve (02-02-2013), ToolNut (02-03-2013)
Old 02-03-2013, 07:33 PM   #9
Pro

Trade: Painting & repairs
Rewards Points: 370

Just saw the ad today not only is Behr Ultra paint and primer in one can now it also contains a stain blocker. Glidden not only paint and primer in one can but also a filler. How much more can they put in one can, a very short painter maybe?
Old 02-03-2013, 11:00 PM   #10

Trade: General Contractor
Rewards Points: 123

I think you should try the local paint store if you have one. I was once loyal to SW, tried Behr, back to SW, tried Valspar and then tried the mom and pop paint store in town. I only wish I had discovered these guys years ago!

Real paint experts (as opposed to the cashier who was recently cross-trained in paint) will recommend the right paint for a specific project. (And it's not always what you think!) They also mix colors better and give tips - that actually work - for challenging situations. Oh, and their prices for comparable paint are better than both SW and the big box stores!

Even though it's sometimes inconvenient to go out of my way to the paint store, I definitely save money by using the right paint every time. For me, it was a smart business decision. And it also feels good to be supporting another small, local business!
The Following User Says Thank You to Chopsaw Chick For This Useful Post:
hdavis (02-04-2013)
Old 02-03-2013, 11:40 PM   #11
Pro

Trade: Painting Contractor
Rewards Points: 500

I stick with the paint stores. I like the service I get from them, they know me when I walk in and they get me out as quick as possible. Calling in orders are not a problem and they also keep my job colors on file for years and years.
Old 02-05-2013, 12:08 PM   #12
semi-skilled laborer

Trade: Professional Painting
Rewards Points: 1,168

I like people who use Behr and Valspar. It helps my customers appreciate my work when they see people trying to slap on low end paint.
ToolNut (02-05-2013)
Old 02-05-2013, 01:17 PM   #13
Pro

Trade: Painter / Paper Hanger / Wood Refinishing
Rewards Points: 180

Quote:
Originally Posted by ModernStyle View Post
I like people who use Behr and Valspar. It helps my customers appreciate my work when they see people trying to slap on low end paint.
Old 02-05-2013, 01:51 PM   #14
President

Trade: Residential Repaints
Rewards Points: 826

A customer of mine bought valspar for his garage last summer. Vthe stuff wouldn't even cover the primer!

Total garbage in my opinion!
Old 02-11-2013, 06:45 AM   #15

Trade: Painting
Rewards Points: 10

Modern style, this is a question of which of the two paints is better. If I wanted to listen to a smart ass, I would have farted. Thanks to the rest of you for your input.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ClintonPainting For This Useful Post:
CarrPainting (02-16-2013), joethepainter (02-11-2013)
Old 02-11-2013, 07:09 AM   #16
Pro

Trade: Historic Exterior Painter
Rewards Points: 150

LOL. I agree bud. I have had a brush in my hand every day for over a decade now. It's funny that I get a lot of the higher end jobs in my town and my high end clients are always totally blown away at the transformations possible using "low end paint". I mean, it rains inside and the UV on the interior trim is just so harsh....

Please, interior is interior. Valspar's premium line's will give you the same finish as Ben Moore's Aura for 1/2 the cost. Sure the Aura covers a little better, but your still going to do 2 coats, inside, where it don't rain or snow. I am here to make money, some jobs don't afford Aura, Duration, Impervo, etc without cutting into your profits. When your doing whole houses that add's up quick.
Old 02-15-2013, 10:13 PM   #17
Pro

Trade: Design-Build Renovator
Rewards Points: 250

I painted this bedroom about 1.5yrs ago that was painted by the homeowner with Valspar paint. The HO had done 2 coats and coverage wasn't well. To me it seemed that it had more water then paint and glue in it and would require multiple coats. One coat of BM primer and it pretty much covered the whole thing, very little seepage. I would suggest BEHR as it's one of the brands I use.
Old 02-16-2013, 04:42 PM   #18
Pro

Trade: Remodeling
Rewards Points: 280

We use sw promar 200 at work but when called upon by the better half, I choose behr paint. Not only is it half the price but it covers much better. If I really tried I bet I could get away with one coat.
Old 02-17-2013, 06:53 AM   #19
Pro

Trade: Painting & repairs
Rewards Points: 370

Quote:
Originally Posted by joethepainter View Post
LOL. I agree bud. I have had a brush in my hand every day for over a decade now. It's funny that I get a lot of the higher end jobs in my town and my high end clients are always totally blown away at the transformations possible using "low end paint". I mean, it rains inside and the UV on the interior trim is just so harsh....

Please, interior is interior. Valspar's premium line's will give you the same finish as Ben Moore's Aura for 1/2 the cost. Sure the Aura covers a little better, but your still going to do 2 coats, inside, where it don't rain or snow. I am here to make money, some jobs don't afford Aura, Duration, Impervo, etc without cutting into your profits. When your doing whole houses that add's up quick.
Wow Joe under your way of thinking you should try Big Lots they have paint for $7 a gallon inter. is just inter. right. Think of how much you could make then. And Valspar gives you the same finish as Aura and Duration? Have you ever really used these paints? You know the big companies also make builders grade paint for less than the big box stores sell theirs. Are you also aware that you can up your profit with brushes and roller covers I just saw them on sale 5 for $2. Yea I'm being a smart a%^ but come on.
Old 02-21-2013, 03:54 PM   #20
Brush Bender

Trade: painting & wallcovering
Rewards Points: 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProWallGuy View Post
You think correctly