Behr Paint TOO Thick?

Old 11-08-2005, 10:15 PM   #1
New Guy

Trade: Painting
Rewards Points: 10

Behr Paint TOO Thick?

Ive noticed when using Behr Premium atin latex paints I am getting runs from the WEIGHT of the paint pulling it down vs. other paint being too runny and watery. And oh my gosh youd better cut in and let it dry before hitting it with a roller cause it sure gets tacky in a hurry and makes a mess if you touch it again. !

Has anyone else noticed this or have any comments or solutions? water it down some? The spreadabilty sucks but the coverage is good tho.....

Thanks!

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Old 11-08-2005, 10:41 PM   #2
Back from the dead...

Trade: Paperhanger/Painter
Rewards Points: 2,504

Re: Behr Paint TOO Thick?

That's because Behr is crap.
I don't use it ever.

Old 11-08-2005, 10:41 PM   #3
Painting Contractor

Trade: Painting Contractor
Rewards Points: 500
Send a message via AIM to Humble Abode

I noticed the same thing when I was forced to use it. So heavy it sags...

My recommendation?
How much of it do you have?
If you don't have too much of it, 2-3 gallons, toss it or pawn it of on one of your neighbors that you don't like very much

Then go over to Sherwin Williams or Benjamin Moore and buy some more paint.

If you have more than 5 gallons your just going to have to get used to applying it. Although I would still be tempted to toss it...
Old 11-09-2005, 12:23 AM   #4
Pro

Trade: Paint and wallpaper
Rewards Points: 150

That stuff is a real pain, but we found you just have to treat it a little differently, brushing it on lighter worked well. Seems to be worse on darker colors too.
Old 11-09-2005, 05:57 AM   #5
Back from the dead...

Trade: Paperhanger/Painter
Rewards Points: 2,504

I will add that we had the same prolems with it you did. Years ago, a customer wanted us to use this paint. It sagged, ran, just plain sucked. Found out after the fact that the HD 'paint pro' had shot way too much colorant in it. A dark green in a medium base. This is what spawned our 'won't use it, or no guarantee' policy.
Old 11-09-2005, 06:46 PM   #6
New Guy

Good old home chepo Behr. No painter should use that stuff if anything you should walk of a job if this material is provided for you. This should tell you how cheap the homeowner is.
Old 11-09-2005, 09:52 PM   #7
Pro Painter

Rewards Points: 1,000

Not so fast. I've had some very affluent customers hand me a can of Behr paint. The big box stores have them convinced it's a good paint with their billion dollar advertising budgets and clue-less paint department people. Some of it weighing in at $25+/gallon which isn't exactly dirt cheap.

As far as the running, sagging, poor coverage, I have experienced it first hand as much as it shames me to say. Another problem I notice with Behr when it runs like that, the pigments separate and can leave you with no coverage....blech!
Old 11-09-2005, 10:42 PM   #8
I'm just stirring the:

Trade: .
Rewards Points: 250

Don't get me started on Behr. We used it on the interior extensively. Never coated properly, took more than 2 coats in a few rooms to get good coverage.

On the shed I 'experimented' with SW's "superpaint". It went up very nicely, worked in to the wood well and in general was a joy to use. 1 coat did the job... of course I put up 2 coats.

Am using the SW superpaint now for the exterior of the house itself. No complaints except that I am PAINTING which for me is mind numbing.
Old 11-09-2005, 10:50 PM   #9
New Guy

what exactly is the "superpaint"?
Old 11-09-2005, 10:55 PM   #10
I'm just stirring the:

Trade: .
Rewards Points: 250

Quote:
what exactly is the "superpaint"?
Form the website:
http://www.sherwin-williams.com/do_i...int/paints.jsp
SuperPaintŪ Exterior Latex Paint
A high-quality exterior paint designed for aluminum and vinyl siding; wood siding; clapboard; shakes and shingles; plywood; masonry; and metal such as window trim and flashing
Resists peeling, blistering, fading and chalking
25-year warranty for lasting performance and good looks
Use even when the weather turns cold - as low as 35° F
Choose from Flat, Satin or Gloss finishes
Old 11-10-2005, 01:54 PM   #11
...jammin

Trade: Rock Disciple
Rewards Points: 2,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Blue
Ive noticed when using Behr Premium atin latex paints I am getting runs from the WEIGHT of the paint pulling it down vs. other paint being too runny and watery.
Has anyone else noticed this or have any comments or solutions?
Yes I have used Behr and I can tell you from experience:

It's sagging because it's crap

I'd like to suggest you stop using Behr and get some good stuff
Really I'm not bashing something because I "heard" it was bad
Try using some good Ben Moore or sim. and you really won't want to touch the Behr crap any more
Old 11-10-2005, 04:03 PM   #12
paper hanger,painter

Trade: wallpaper hanger,painter
Send a message via Yahoo to chris n

That's because Behr is crap.
I don't use it ever.

Me either.
Old 11-10-2005, 04:32 PM   #13

Rewards Points: 75

I agree with AApaint many homeowners think Behr is a good paint because its the high end at the depot. I agree with everything said about Behr, its absolute junk. Nonetheless its not cheap, I pay $17 for superpaint satin interior, I believe Behrs around $24-$25 here. Granted $17 is a contractor price, most homeowners can still get it around $27-28 with Sherwins constant sales. My point is most believe Behr is a good product because its not cheap.
Old 11-10-2005, 07:27 PM   #14
Pro Painter

Rewards Points: 1,000

Yup, that stuff is the pits for sure. Most of the time I strictly use SW, and I'm starting to use BM more now simply because there's money in that name and it performs about the same. SW is just my personal preference for reasons that could be argued between the two for years on end!
Old 04-14-2011, 10:04 AM   #15
President

Trade: Residential Repaints
Rewards Points: 868

Phony discounts? Id say 95 out of 100 people who post on this forum, are highly skilled tradesman in their respective fields. Behr only has a foothold for home owners because its sold by Home Depot, where home owners go for home improvement products. However the more financially secure upper class home owners, around here anyways, wouldnt even think of using behr paints. They demand real paint from a real paint store.

Its like this, for home owners, and contractors, we all, for the most part use Craftsman tools or similar because their generally made in Amerika, and are cheaper. We can go to the local hardware store and buy the tools for a fair price.
However mechanics - professional grease monkeys, use Mac, Matco, or SnapOn for their tools because they use the tools every day and are willing to pay a (often times hefty) premium for a better tool. But when you use the tool every day, that premium pays for itself in faster repairs, and less fatigue.

Same can be said for paints. Behr is made for the home owner who doesnt paint every day. Glidden/ICI Ben Moore, and SW, are for the professional..
Old 04-14-2011, 10:15 AM   #16
Pro

Trade: Commercial Superintendent
Rewards Points: 1,644

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venetian Master View Post
Sounds like a bunch of inexeperienced jackassses here!
Just goes to show you have to take these reviews and comments with a grain of salt!
If the paint is too thick try diluting it with water or change your spray tip size or how many of you realize that the paint needs to be sprayed with a 60 mesh spray gun filter!
Thicker paints have more solids in them which equates to better durability and scrubbability.
The Sherwin Williams of the world is constantly ripping you off with their phony discounts!!!

Just a tip: Ranting about a 5 1/2 year old dead thread as your first post is not the best way to convince us of your bona fides as anything other than a lunatic painter
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Anti-wingnut For This Useful Post:
Chris@Sunrise (04-16-2011), jsheridan (04-25-2011)
Old 04-16-2011, 11:49 PM   #17
Knowledgeable Tinter!

Trade: Painting/Hardware Retail

Yeah....wow!
1st post and He's swearing at everyone!

"Nice" form there vm....

Thicker paint DOESN'T IN ANY WAY imply "better"....only a DIFFERENCE.
You may be a good painter...BUT...you showed how little you know about actual PAINT itself with that statement.

Clays are a heavy solid....IN CHEAP PAINTS.

Better paints use better grinds of TIO2.
Resin-blends vary wildly in quality too.

Faron
Old 04-17-2011, 05:24 PM   #18
Pro

Trade: house painting and miscellaneous repair

I believe the finish-primer paint has the nano type of fillers, they tend to dry too fast and thinning is not advised but I always thin anyhow, so the premium plus is Ok , for sure I'd thin, but steer clear of satin go for eggshell, I never liked the adhesion from that brand, As for thinning sherwin, well not with their less expensive lines, it's just color without durability, Thin ready to go already unless it is the super and above. How come no one comments on ICI,glidden , do they have that in the states? I wonder. Anyhow the cutting in can ,without thinning , is too silly , unless you tape the whole thing.
Old 04-24-2011, 11:41 AM   #19

Rewards Points: 31

Just last friday I painted 45 foot hallway at a boat club, They had behr paint, I heard nothing but bad things about it, but used anyways.The paint covered nice,it was not to thick.The side I did was fine,The side my worker did had 3-4 sags in the paint.I noticed them before paint was completely dry,knocked them down with putty knife and wet finger.Touched up after it dried with little 3/16/roller.It didn't help that it was 55 degrees in the boat club,I brought in the lights and warmed it up to 60.I have always had good luck with Sherwin Williams Cashmere,or promar 200.Benjamin Moore paints are also very good but to expensive for me,only use when customer request it.
Old 04-25-2011, 01:29 PM   #20
Cut the check

Trade: Painter-residential

Behr has changed considerably from the date this topic was started, until now. I used to curse at it, choke on it..
Ive used BM for 17 years, and at this point Im convinced that the behr premium has evolved, and now is superior to super spec- at least coverage wise.

-Jay