Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Behr paint is great... lol

21K views 132 replies 25 participants last post by  BuiltByMAC 
#1 ·
That all in one Behr paint from home depot. :whistling

We were doing a small powder room remodel and the customer wants to know if we will paint it now too. Throw them a price. Oh my that's a lot. I already have the paint. Well, you know, it always takes a lot more time then most people think to paint correctly... first we have to prime... customer stops me... but this paint doesn't need any primer... the guy at home depot said its all in one and is great!

Uh huh. So we discount the price since it's a one coat only. Paint it. After tiling we go to wipe some thinset off of the painted walls... the paint comes off and the texture underneath it comes off. :mad:

Now we are spot texturing and repainting 10 places in this little powder room.

Behr is good stuff! :thumbdown

Repeat after me ... never let the cusotmer supply paint. never let the customer supply the paint... never let the customer supply the paint.
:bangin:

It's amazing how before you do something and the customer is asking why it costs so much to do it, you have such a hard time giving them a good reason for the what ifs... but as soon as you do it, sure enough you take it in the shorts.

See less See more
#2 ·
Uh huh. So we discount the price since it's a one coat only.

but as soon as you do it, sure enough you take it in the shorts.
Ouch,

I had to quote this, I think someone has broken into your log in, ...:whistling

:laughing:

That sux's ;)

#5 · (Edited)
He's been reading too much CT lately, :shifty:

Everybody else does it, what the heck, ahh :laughing:

All joking a side,

You learn something everyday,
It could have been worse.

#13 ·
Mike, I had the same problem but I didn't use the all in one. I bought it for our bathroom remodel this past spring. My wife liked the one color they had and I figured I'd try it. we already had primer. Don't worry, all behr paint wants to peel right off in spots. I am so angry, i'll never use it again. lesson learned. I don't paint for customers, but I know my painter doesn't use it. If a customer wants to ruin my job after I'm gone with cheap paint, that's on them, not me.

#19 ·
Like mike said, he was trying to help the lady out and it turned out bad. Mike has plenty of experience as he's a very busy guy specializing in just bathrooms. While a lot of guys are out of work, he's got months backed up. That's not a handyman type of business he's running.
All of us had have issues at some point in our careers where you try and do something nice for someone and it backfires.

Case in point, I did a bathroom for a woman a few month ago. 99% of the time we supply the fixtures through my plumber, the customer picks it all out and I tell them the best brands to look for if they want trouble free fixtures. This bathroom, the woman was on a tight budget, she's a widow, lives alone, and wanted to go buy the fixtures herself. She went to a real plumbing supply house but bought Danzer faucet and shower valve/trim etc.

My plumber installed it all. Now a few months later, guess what, she's calling ME back because she says the handle in the shower is VERY hard to turn. I never get calls back when we use Grohe or Kohler or other higher end fixtures. Now my plumber has to go back and find out what the problem is and be expected not to charge her? This is what is making me add another line item to my contract, if homeowner buys fixtures,and they break or have problems, we will charge to come back and fix/replace.

#21 ·
You didn't buy it, why are you warrantying it? Tell her to call the manufacturer up and see how they are going to resolve her problem.

#24 ·
ewingpainting- This is the first thread I looked at when I found this forum. After reading it I just had to join. LOL

Experienced in his post count :lol: not painting :no: ...... I don't think so.

I think it is funny that you feel the need to blast Mike Finely. I'm sure that you have a lot of experience........ working for someone else. Seeing that you only started your business in January of 2008, I don't think you have much right to say he is inexperienced. I don't know why some people have to be so negative.

My one question to you sir is "is that what Jesus would do?"

#35 ·
ewingpainting-

"Yes, my lic is 3 yrs, I'm glad you can add."
I'm wondering if you can add. 1/08 to 1/09 to 8/10 thats 2 years and 7 months. ;)

I'm taking this to be to me:
"I've probably painted more houses than nails you both driven."

I would bet you are correct on that. Since I don't use a hammer in my trade to make a living. Well, unless it's to pull doors. :) It just cracks me up when tradesmen think that they are like brain surgeons or something. Your a construction worker for gods sake. :rolleyes:

#48 ·
I never used Dutchboy. I have never bought at Wal-Mart. I did buy some rags there one time. When I had some staining to do on a mountain job. Do you stain? What kind of stain do you get at Wal-Mart? Did you know that Dutchboy is Sherwin William? I heard that Sherwin Williams will no longer be selling paint through Wal-Mart. Where will you go or will you just adjust to the change? Sherwin Williams just had a price increases, did Wal-Mart increase theirs. Maybe they didn’t raise the prices, or maybe that’s why Wal-Mart isn’t carrying it no more. How are the eye matches, do you have to wait when there is a spill on isle 22? Do you shop for your household needs when waiting. I can see that saving a lot of time.

#50 ·
Finley definately deserves some $hi1.

1. Doing work outside of area of expertise.

2. Allowing the customer to control the job.

3. Admitting it in a public forum where Finley constantly abuses others for making the same mistakes.

In the end no good deed goes unpunished. The little old lady held up a can of paint and Finley did the customer service shuffle and said yes Maam we'll use your paint if that's what you would like us to do.

#52 ·
Mike didn't paint this himself. He has guys that (correct me if I'm wrong mike) do all the phases of his jobs, maybe they aren't all the same crew. He's done a lot of bathroom remodels. How do you know he doesn't sub the paint to a full time painter, I highly doubt mike had one of his employees that does tile, also do the painting, although for a bathroom, it's not that big of a deal.
I know mike catches flack on this site, sometime even from me. In this case people are giving him a hard time acting as if he himself did the painting and he's not a painter. I think this is not the case.

he's also messing with your heads now. Mike's far too experienced to be using some hack painter from CL.

Ewing, as far as bragging about painting more houses than we've driven, that must be some sort of painter joke that no one else gets because last I checked, each one of my larger jobs we put in thousands of nails from start to finish. I really hope you were just trying to be funny.

Mike does bathrooms from start to finish, design/build. I am 100% sure he has a qualified painter finish each and every job, and in this case, some old lady already went out and bought the paint trying to be nice and help him out and it ended up backfiring on him. It's hard to tell a nice old lady that her paint she bought isn't good enough, especially if you want her to tell her friends or relatives about how great her bathroom looks and who did the job.

#54 ·
WOW! 1 hour to paint a powder room. I think you set a record. :yes:
When painting the powder room, did you cut 1st or roll 1st. Or, did you mask and spray it? I ask only cause I want to be able to paint a powder room in a hour. Maybe I could paint a whole house in 8hrs. One thing that is not clear Mike, is if you yourself actually did the painting. Or, do you have one of your staff paint for you? It seems some here think you supervised the painting of the powder room, how much money do you need to invest in tools to supervise? Clip board, pin, sunglasses, a shirt with the your name and supervisor embroidered on it and some loose change to jingle in your pocket. Do you do your own shirts? Or do you have a staff that does your shirts too?

I'm also amazed that your painting tools only cost 40 bucks. Did you buy those at Wal-Mart too? If so I need to ask my paint supplier to match their prices or I will be not buying my tools there. And I'll march myself right down to the closest Wal-Mart. Do you think they have those nifty cut in tools? Those ones that you don't need to tape? I hate taping, so I can see that being of value to me. My supply store doesn't have em'. I was thinking you have to know someone to get one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.