Back Rolling A Spray Job

Old 10-08-2007, 12:23 PM   #1

Trade: General Contractor
Rewards Points: 10

Back Rolling A Spray Job

I'm doing my own house now (3,000 sf new const.) and wll be spraying at least the pime and cieling. This is new drywall, so I was wondering about back rolling. I've never had to back roll before, but then again, I never sprayed new drywall either.

I'm fully expecting to do two coats of primer (Benjamin Moore Super Hide) and was thinking- if I did end up back rolling, maybe I only have to do it on the second primer coat? Or, perhaps only on the last finish coat?

Or, am I missing the whole point and is backrolling used to achieve roller stipple texture, which many prefer over a sprayed finish?

Any thoughts that can be helpful here?

Thanks!

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Old 10-08-2007, 02:26 PM   #2
Painting Contractor

Trade: Painting Contractor
Rewards Points: 500
Send a message via AIM to Humble Abode

Re: Back Rolling A Spray Job

Back-rolling is used primarily to work the primer into the substrate you are spraying. Drywall is very porous and if you spray the first coat of primer on without back-rolling it will just sit on top of it. It needs to penetrate in order to seal it. Same with masonry, wood, etc.

So I would just suggest brushing and rolling the first prime coat. If you do that you may not have to use a second coat of primer. Then pole sand the primer and spray the two finish coats.

My second suggestion would be to hire a painter!

Old 10-08-2007, 05:34 PM   #3
Pro

Why 2 coats of primer?
I would spray and back roll primer, and spray and backroll finish on ceilings, repeat finish coat. It will give you a much better chance of touch up.
Old 10-08-2007, 05:47 PM   #4
MFWIC

Trade: house painter
Rewards Points: 250

Backroll is good practice to do, new, or old drywall.
r
Old 10-08-2007, 05:57 PM   #5
...jammin

Trade: Rock Disciple
Rewards Points: 2,000

There is rarely any reason to do two primer coats
New const...I'd go out on a limb and say never

Primer's not supposed to look like it's got a coat of paint on it
It should be pretty blotchy (within reason)
I have never used this crap before and I pray to the paint gods that I never have to use it again, I would rather use Behr
Old 10-08-2007, 07:39 PM   #6
Superior Firepower

Trade: GC Lic. since 1985
Rewards Points: 3,360

For quality I live by the old saying. Two coats of Primer, 1 coat of paint. Backroll the first coat to slam in the paint as Mr. Abode says.

Old 10-10-2007, 01:06 PM   #7
Pro

Trade: Painter

New const. I like to use plain old pva primer, it's nice and wet so it soaks into the drywall. It's also very thin, so you may not have to backroll it.

You cannot go by how it looks, just do a thorough job and know that there is a barrier coating. I never do two primes and one paint coat. Reason being, there will undoubtedly be touch ups to the paint. Might as well do one prime, one paint, and then a second coat of paint, if necessary, along with the touch ups. I've always backrolled paint. I suppose the better spray guys can get a nice finish with the right paint, but I always get a sandpaper type feel to my spray jobs.

Last edited by Joewho; 10-10-2007 at 01:08 PM.
Old 11-06-2007, 09:44 PM   #8
Pro

Trade: Remodeling Contractor
Rewards Points: 1,018

my guys sprayed ceilings today without backrolling, looked pretty good to me. Should i back roll? I understand for touchoups, its better to backroll, i plan to backroll walls though.

thoughts?
Old 11-06-2007, 09:56 PM   #9
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by plazaman View Post
my guys sprayed ceilings today without backrolling, looked pretty good to me. Should i back roll? I understand for touchoups, its better to backroll, i plan to backroll walls though.

thoughts?
I didn't back roll for years, and just started doing it a little over a year ago. The advantage to back rolling is touch up is easier, and it lays down any fuzz.
Old 11-06-2007, 11:08 PM   #10
Pro

Trade: Painter
Rewards Points: 510

Quote:
For quality I live by the old saying. Two coats of Primer, 1 coat of paint
I would say that 2 topcoats are essential and the second primer coat is the optional extra.
Old 03-25-2008, 10:23 AM   #11
Pro

Trade: General Contractor

We sprayed the ceiling and walls of our kitchen and dining room during a remodel five years ago. Anytime something sits against the wall for an extended period, the paint rips off the wall in thick junks. We had thought this was a result of bad quality paint. Seeing the post above, I know realize the problem stems from not back rolling over the sprayed primer.

We just finished drywall in the basement. I'm going to rent a sprayer for the knock down ceiling. We'll skip spraying the walls and roll them start to finish. This should resolve problems we've had with paint not sticking to the walls.

Thanks for the tip and reasons why on back rolling!

Last edited by MnHotRod; 03-25-2008 at 10:34 AM.
Old 03-26-2008, 04:08 PM   #12

Trade: lljjl

I will be starting to do some texturing on ceilings and wondering what is the proper proceedures to iliviate any possible problems and to have a nice finish... This is the way i have done it and have not had any problems with it but want to know the way that you guys normally do it...This would be on new drywall not primed... This will be done in Edmonton/ Calgary area...

1. I would prime walls with tinted primer.
2. I would prime ceiling with a texture primer from Totem(or a latex primer)
3. I would do any touch up/ inperfections on walls, then reprime those areas
4. I would give 1st coat of paint on walls
5 I would shoot the texture(orange peel or knockdown) on the ceiling
6 I would then do the final coat of paint on the walls....

My questions are is it neccessary to prime the ceiling before shooting or do you prime with an oil base primer after you have textured...and if you wanted to repaint old texture do you have to use and oil base????
Old 03-26-2008, 08:24 PM   #13
semi-skilled laborer

Trade: Professional Painting
Rewards Points: 1,184

I usually dust down the walls with a large soft bristle broom, spray the walls with a 1095 Graco Sprayer using a 525 tip, backroll the walls with a 1/2 nap roller. I dont like alot of stipple on my prime coat so I always use a 1/2 nap. Spray the ceilings 1 coat of finish, depending on how the knock down on the ceilings looks I may or may not backroll, around hear smooth ceilings are kinda rare these days. If the texture is good then I can make it look good with out the backroll, if the texture looks like crap then I will backroll to make sure there are no lines or cracks.
Around here even the high end home builders dont want to pay crap so 2 coats of primer would be a waste of money.
I never used to backroll the walls, but with those orbital sanders the drywall guys are using now they always tend to gind the hell out of the paper, which makes the walls as rough as hell if you dont backroll.