Any Updates On PPG Break Through?

Old 07-27-2011, 02:05 AM   #1
Painting Contractor

Trade: Painting
Rewards Points: 79

Any Updates On PPG Break Through?

I'm getting ready to use this on an interior millwork project for the first time. Have heard good things about it, just wanted to know if y'all have input regarding spraying doors etc with this product. I'm planning on priming everything with SW Easy Sand, getting a nice surface ready, and then spray. It looks like a year since any posts on this product, so I'm guessing someone must have some good experience with it.
thanks in advance!

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 07-31-2011, 07:08 AM   #2
New Guy

Trade: Painter
Rewards Points: 10

Re: Any Updates On PPG Break Through?

Damon-You know the problem I had with the Easy Sand, the left over product is back in SW's hands and heading to the laboratories to be tested. After I recoated with the cover stain, the finish was 90% better but it still had a slight cloudiness to it...abd I even sprayed last finish coat with a different sprayer to eliminate that being the cause.
The nightmare project is completed and we have been paid and I still don't have a definitive answer on what happened here. If I had to do over I would go back to "Original Kilz" then top coat with BJ Impervo factory black satin. Kilz never has given me problems...I would've used it on this project but as you know it was a SW referral so I was stuck with using Easy Sand...never again will that product see one of my sites! I last used it 5 yrs ago and had issues...should've listened to myself but oh well, it's done and over.
Good Luck bud!

Advertisement

Old 07-31-2011, 01:29 PM   #3
Painting Contractor

Trade: Painting
Rewards Points: 79

I wish I would have read your other post more carefully, I hadn't realized Easy Sand was part of the problem! It was a big PITA for us too, way too much cleanup after sand, and too porous. The PPG break through was a huge hassle too! The overspray created tons of dryfall which blew around and made a mess. Never again for either of them! I tested the PPG on a couple doors and trim first, and looked ok, but on a larger scale it was too messy.
Another expensive learning experience I suppose!
Old 08-01-2011, 06:23 AM   #4
New Guy

Rewards Points: 10

Damon-I hate those expensive lessons too...just went through it with the kitchen.
I'm not expecting SW to own up to a bad product, but I will keep you posted when they get back to me with their findings. It's clear that the combination of the SW products used on the cabinets was a disaster for me, so I will not use Easy Sand again...nor will I ever spray SW ASE black again...it's BJ Impervo next time. If SW would make a deep base for the Pro-Classic, not just relabel the ASE but actually make the real product, that would be great because Pro-Classic is a great enamel.
Job is completed and I'm paid but this will linger in my mind for awhile.
Good Luck!
Old 04-07-2013, 07:10 PM   #5
Geeky Painter

Rewards Points: 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damon T View Post
I'm getting ready to use this on an interior millwork project for the first time. Have heard good things about it, just wanted to know if y'all have input regarding spraying doors etc with this product. I'm planning on priming everything with SW Easy Sand, getting a nice surface ready, and then spray. It looks like a year since any posts on this product, so I'm guessing someone must have some good experience with it.
thanks in advance!
We have used it on 3 kitchens with oak cabinets after using spackle to fill the grain and lacquer primer which is easy to sand too. Good stuff.