Any Suggest For "pickled" Cabinets??

Old 09-26-2009, 05:27 PM   #1

Trade: Painting
Rewards Points: 10

Any Suggest For "pickled" Cabinets??

I have experience with cabinet refinishing but this one stumps me and I am really not getting any answers.
I ran into pickled cabinets (the ones that look almost pinkish because there is some sort of finish that is added prior to poly).
The homeowner would like to keep a wood finish but wants to get rid of the pickled look. The only suggestions I have for her thus far is painting white because I have heard that it is nearly impossible to remove all of the pickling.
My question is have any of you experimented with toner right over the current cleaned (maybe lightly sanded) finish without stripping that would bring it back to a more common wood finish. They are trying to keep their cost down so completely sanding down the finish is out of the question. The kitchen is huge and would take weeks.
Any suggestions?? Thanks Dan

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Old 09-26-2009, 05:48 PM   #2
KemoSabe

Trade: residential framing/siding/general carpentry
Rewards Points: 2,146

Re: Any Suggest For "pickled" Cabinets??

I'd be inclined to replace the doors and drawer fronts. Possibly veneer the faceframes with prefinished plywood skins. Of coarse, I'm not a painter/finisher, so working with wood is the obvious choice for me.

"Walking the fine line between production and perfection"

Old 09-26-2009, 06:27 PM   #3
Pro

Trade: Plastering, Drywall, Painting, Woodworking, Stucco
Rewards Points: 1,096

Well back in the day we would take some flat white oil base paint cut it 4 to 1 with turps, then apply this to the raw oak cabinets, then let it dry over night then we would come back and use 320 black sandpaper hand sand then we would get shellac put a 2 to 1 cut then sand in between each coat of shellac, then we would use varnish two coats,
Now you can go to BM and they have a full line of pickling stains, every color you could want.
Old 09-30-2009, 07:48 PM   #4

Thanks for your replys. I think I have her convinced to go with a ivory enamel with a chocolate glaze. Lets hope she digs it!
Old 10-01-2009, 05:31 AM   #5
Pro

Trade: Plastering, Drywall, Painting, Woodworking, Stucco
Rewards Points: 1,096

You sure your doing cabinets or are you making Ice Cream Sundaes
Old 10-01-2009, 07:30 AM   #6

Well you know that chocolate glaze comes in handy at dessert time!