Air Bubbles In Paint??

Old 03-10-2008, 05:41 PM   #1
Pro

Trade: Construction and Remodeling
Rewards Points: 2,216

Air Bubbles In Paint??

Hey guys heres one for you. I was helping my buddy paint his kitchen over the weekend, the same one I just finished skim coating everything for him It turned out real nice though. But any way after the compound skim coating I did two coats of SW high build primer. He picked up the paint, he got some eggshell Vaspar paint, I guess its lowes house brand. As we were painting I noticed little air bubbles in a few areas, but then they went away as the paint dried. Whats up with that? I have never seen that before, but then again I don't do painting

Dave

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Old 03-10-2008, 06:05 PM   #2
Pro

Rewards Points: 250

Re: Air Bubbles In Paint??

Those bubbles are just the surfactant in the paint, a.k.a. detergent. The problem is, some brands those bubbles don't always die completely back down, I brushed on some Valspar exterior trim paint once - and those bubbles didn't die back - they stayed and became part of the paint job.

Old 03-10-2008, 08:46 PM   #3
...jammin

Trade: Rock Disciple
Rewards Points: 2,000

That's why we don't buy paint from Lowes or Home Depot
It's crap paint for clueless DIYers
I have never used this crap before and I pray to the paint gods that I never have to use it again, I would rather use Behr
Old 03-10-2008, 10:20 PM   #4
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlainPainter View Post
Those bubbles are just the surfactant in the paint, a.k.a. detergent. The problem is, some brands those bubbles don't always die completely back down, I brushed on some Valspar exterior trim paint once - and those bubbles didn't die back - they stayed and became part of the paint job.

Thanks Plainpainter, I never knew that. Wow that would suck if the bubbles stayed in the paint!

Slickshift, Thats what I told him, I recomended Sherman Williams, but it went in one ear and out the other

What are you guys experiences with the SW high build primer? It seemed kinda watery to me. But then again I'm guess the prefered method is to spray it?

Dave
Old 03-11-2008, 05:29 AM   #5
...jammin

Trade: Rock Disciple

I'm not familiar with SWs, the ones I am really need to be sprayed
I have never used this crap before and I pray to the paint gods that I never have to use it again, I would rather use Behr
Old 03-11-2008, 07:48 AM   #6
Allrounder Home Services

Trade: Residential Remodeling

I had the air bubble problem a few years ago with Valspar exterior, had to sand it off and repaint with something else
Old 03-11-2008, 08:36 AM   #7
Pro

I've heard old-timers say a few shots of paint thinner to a gallon of paint cures that bubble problem - but whatever paint you added mineral spirits to, has to be used up that day - it can no longer be stored.
Old 03-11-2008, 11:27 PM   #8
Pro

Trade: Railing
Rewards Points: 792

Quote:
I've heard old-timers say a few shots of paint thinner to a gallon of paint cures that bubble problem - but whatever paint you added mineral spirits to, has to be used up that day - it can no longer be stored.
We used to do that all the time when we were using Porter latex/acrylic in our
hvlp guns, to get the bubbles out from air spraying. Their salesman told me to do it. It sounded very strange, but like he said, most paints have voc's anyway...some more than others. It worked very well. I don't really remember the part about having to use it up though, but then we normally did anyway.\

We now use a product that is light years better, faster drying, easier to air spray, than the Porter products, even though Porter is an excellent painters paint. www.Cashcoatings.com
Joe
Old 03-12-2008, 05:43 PM   #9
Pro

Thanks guys, That thinner trick sounds good I will have to try that some time. Well that was my painting for the year, I hate painting

Dave
Old 04-10-2009, 10:11 AM   #10

Trade: professional contractor
Rewards Points: 10

Quote:
on dipping paint on cast iron surface bubbles ore observed on it how to solve it
Old 04-10-2009, 10:21 AM   #11

Trade: professional contractor

Quote:
Originally Posted by atulsharma View Post
on dipping paint on cast iron surface bubbles ore observed on it how to solve it
dipping cast iron component in paint bubbles are observed on it how to solve this problem
Old 04-10-2009, 11:57 PM   #12
Pro

Trade: Painting, flooring
Rewards Points: 150

in on it observing cast bubble ironing wtf?
Old 04-11-2009, 07:16 AM   #13
Pro

Trade: Railing
Rewards Points: 792

Quote:
Originally Posted by atulsharma View Post
dipping cast iron component in paint bubbles are observed on it how to solve this problem

I'm thinking:
I'm dipping cast iron components in paint, and am observing paint bubbles. How do I solve this problem?

Answer:
Either outgas with heat prior to dipping, or slow the paint drying down with a retarder, or proper thinner to give bubbles time to pop, & level.

Joe
Old 05-13-2010, 04:03 PM   #14
Dan

Trade: Remodeling Contractor
Send a message via AIM to ApgarNJ

had the same thing happen today, i got home from work, prepped my bathroom, which has new drywall on two walls but the other walls were in good shape. I sanded the old walls and primed them with a sealer. The ceiling is already done with a flat white paint and came out great.
I cut in, and then rolled the walls with the color paint, first coat. I get done and noticed a few bubbles the size of an eraser head on a pencil, some were smaller. About 6 of them appeared, the only spot they appeared were on the two walls that had older 1/2 drywall that was put on about 9 years ago from a previous remodel of another owner of this house. I am not sure what caused it . The walls where the new greenboard was installed have no issues at all. i'm not a painter by trade but have done enough on my house and some other small jobs in the past to know what I'm doing. The ceiling was the same age drywall as the walls that bubbled but there were zero bubbles on the ceiling when I painted that a few days ago.
any ideas what causes this? i wasn't sure if they would go away so I tried to pop them, then the paint stuck to my hand and it literally pealed off a quartersize or bigger spot of drywall, the primer is still on there. I guess I'll wait until tomorrow and hit those areas with very light sandpaper and try to blend them in with the next coat. I can't figure it out, it looks bad now. you see the spot and the thickness of paint where it's bare primer now. and if you stand to the side you notice the paint line where it tore away. not sure why the paint wouldn't stick in these spots.

thanks guys. btw, 6 years ago when we painted our whole house inside when we moved in, not one problem with bubbles, and this was over the older 3/8 drywall.

I will never use Behr paint again. i thought because it worked on the ceiling ( I had a partial gallon of white flat behr ceiling paint ) it would be ok for the walls. HD can suck it. I know the walls that bubbled had 1-2 coats of primer/sealer over the old paint. the old paint was lightly sanded just to take the finish sheen off a bit.

don't bash me for using behr. i have used it in the past and never had bubbles. i know i like Ben moore the best.
Old 05-13-2010, 11:56 PM   #15

Trade: painting

use defoamer. any GOOD paint store should have it. works better than thinner (although not a bad option if you dont have defoamer). Certain paints just bubble. In my experience it is usually a int/ext paint. If your talking to someone who knows their head from their a** they should be able to tell you what paints will bubble. If you still want to use that paint have them add an oz of defoamer before shaking
Old 05-14-2010, 05:59 AM   #16
Dan

I had it shaken when I bought it but that was a week ago. I shook it a little by hand before starting and then stirred it. let it settle a bit. just weird how it only did it on the walls where I left the drywall that was already there. I took out one whole wall of drywall to get the new tub in easier. that wall looks great and the area of new drywall above the 5' section of tub above the tile looks good too.
i'm going to have to skim over the areas where the bubbles peeled so the next coat doesn't see the recessed spot.

thanks for the tip on the defoamer
Old 05-14-2010, 10:04 AM   #17

Trade: painting

also, make sure your dusting really well. Wipe all areas w/ wet rag before paint. good luck and remeber... behr is **** in the woods
Old 05-14-2010, 04:00 PM   #18
Pro

Trade: hack painting
Rewards Points: 1,000

If it bubbles again, Apgar...my advice is to keep your fingers out of it.
Old 05-14-2010, 08:40 PM   #19
Dan

steve, thanks. lol it did bubble again today, but they went away even when I didn't think they would. still odd
i hate this paint, it won't stick as well to the older primed walls as I had hoped. i know it was humid today, but i gave it a second coat this morning then I waited a few hours and came back to trim. by the time i got to crown molding, if the molding just rubbed a little bit trying to fit the piece in, it was taking off both layers of the finish paint right down to the primer. I don't get it but I want to take that gallon of behr paint and dump it all over HD's floor. F them. never again, NEVER!!!
i have all these touch ups to do, once the paint peels, i can't just touch it up or i see the outline of where it peeled off. i've never seen paint do this before.

i had to stop doing the crown because it wasn't sticking. i'll hope for better results tomorrow.
Old 05-14-2010, 09:56 PM   #20
Pro

Trade: Painting
Send a message via AIM to boman47k

Quote:
i thought because it worked on the ceiling ( I had a partial gallon of white flat behr ceiling paint ) it would be ok for the walls.
Did you use the ceiling paint on the walls?

How old was the paint?

Did you tack the walls before painting?

I have use Behr twice that I know of and do not like it, but had no problem with bubbles.