360 - Painting & Finish Work - Contractor Talk

Old 02-15-2007, 01:02 PM   #1
My custom title

Trade: Painting, faux, rock, plaster, texture, tile, laminates, finish carpentry contractor
Rewards Points: 1,000

Ummm, just got a call, 360 is moving in my area.... anyone know about them at all?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian
Paint does a lot more than put color on a surface. It protects surfaces, it can reduce maintenance costs, it can enhance lives.

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 02-15-2007, 01:10 PM   #2
...jammin

Trade: Rock Disciple
Rewards Points: 2,000

Re: 360

?

Just play it man!

Sorry...

What's a 360?

Advertisement

I have never used this crap before and I pray to the paint gods that I never have to use it again, I would rather use Behr
Old 02-15-2007, 01:46 PM   #3
Pro

Trade: Residential Renovations/Remodeling
Rewards Points: 250

http://www.360painting.com/

It's just a franchise. Why the big worry?

Old 02-15-2007, 01:52 PM   #4
Pro

http://whois.ws/whois-com/ip-address/360painting.com/ shows they just got their website address in March 2006 so they haven't even been around very long... at least not on the internet.
Old 02-15-2007, 02:22 PM   #5
Pro

Trade: paint contractor
Rewards Points: 150

Maybe it is just Anderson Cooper.
Old 02-15-2007, 02:27 PM   #6
Pro

One last thing. Click the Google link and read all about Paul Flick, the founder of 360. He got his start with Tuition Painters and Student Painters... a company that hires/trains college kids to paint during the off time. Lots of negative reports on the company.. read below. Maybe that's why they're starting a "new" franchise company.

They've only got two locations so far... you just happen to be one of them. http://www.360painting.com/locations_map.cfm

Google Search - "Paul Flick" paint - http://www.google.com/search?num=50&...flick%22+paint

http://www.cavalierdaily.com/CVArtic...D=3684&pid=557

http://www.complaintsboard.com/compl...ers-c4192.html

http://jobboomcc.canoe.ca/News/2004/...25590-sun.html

http://www.my3cents.com/showReview.cgi?id=18307
Old 02-15-2007, 03:20 PM   #7
My custom title

Trade: Painting, faux, rock, plaster, texture, tile, laminates, finish carpentry contractor

Ya I know thier story, just wondered about what you guys thought... plus or minus. In the cities I had contact with college pro, etc I was niched into historical projects... never really dealed with them. Not a big worry for me.

Quote:
Paint does a lot more than put color on a surface. It protects surfaces, it can reduce maintenance costs, it can enhance lives.
Old 02-15-2007, 06:41 PM   #8
Pro

In a city the size of Tallahassee, you shouldn't run into each other. Won't they just be another painting contractor out of 100+ in the phone book?

I remember when Wendy's first started expanding. Some misinformed McDonald's franchisee's thought the end was near for them when Wendy's started opening across the street or down the block from them. Then Rallys/Checkers came along. Now there are Subways, Quizno's, etc. McDonald's still seems to be doing pretty darned well.

There's plenty of business out there for all of us... if you do what you say you will do for your customers. Most of our business comes from referrals, at least it does for me. And a year from now, 360 might not even be around. They are in the business of selling franchises so until I see them on every corner, I wouldn't worry.
Old 02-15-2007, 07:30 PM   #9
Pro

Trade: Painting Contractor
Rewards Points: 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by LennyV-NHSNOLA View Post
I remember when Wendy's first started expanding. Some misinformed McDonald's franchisee's thought the end was near for them when Wendy's started opening across the street or down the block from them. Then Rallys/Checkers came along. Now there are Subways, Quizno's, etc. McDonald's still seems to be doing pretty darned well.
Tradesmen keep all those fast food places going
Old 02-16-2007, 01:12 AM   #10
Pro

Trade: Painting
Rewards Points: 500

Do they go around and around and around and around?????
Old 02-16-2007, 12:39 PM   #11
My custom title

Naaa, you see... I like to keep my ear to the ground and know everyone possible to know, even in a city that is larger it's always a good thing to keep names and reputations in your wallet. I have no problems whatsoever in anyone opening a new biz in my area. Just wondered if anyone had heard of/had dealings with, so far.

Quote:
Old 02-16-2007, 01:31 PM   #12
Pro

Well, the only other franchise besides the one opening in your area is the one in Monmouth, NJ. You better check up there for info on 360... depending on how long that one has been open. Or you could pretext the guy up there by saying you are interested in the franchise to see what he says about them. Don't tell him you are from Tallahassee though.

There is a free service out on the net called PrivatePhone by NetZero where you can get a FREE phone number and voice mail to use. You could set that up, call him, while blocking your phone number and leave a message with the PrivatePhone number. Then when he returns your call and leaves a message, you retrieve the message and return the call through the PrivatePhone system and the PrivatePhone number will show up so you could appear to be in California or where ever you get your PrivatePhone number/voicemail. I use this service when subscribing to newsletters, magazines, etc., so I don't get hounded by as many solicitors.

Here is his info:
Matt Spinola
Monmouth County, NJ
Phone: 732.807.4317
Old 02-16-2007, 01:46 PM   #13
Pro

Trade: Swimming Pool Contractor
Rewards Points: 1,008

dont sweat it... all it shows is that their mega-bucks researched found you are in a good area to operate... take their ques & hammer your market..

ray
Old 02-16-2007, 02:21 PM   #14
Pro

Trade: contractor
Rewards Points: 2,000

man, i would not sweat it ...

just as small companies do not possess certain qualities that large companies do --- large companies do not possess certain qualities that the small companies do

for example

I am on the phone with a very large company right now ... and am totally fuming b/c of the lack of response & communication.

Not everyone wants to punch 1, 4, 6, enter in their account number followed by the # sign JUST to get a human voice

it's frustrating.

now ... that's just over a cell phone bill ...

poolmanin CT is right on though --- it shows your area fits favorable demographics and market/trends for a nat'l franchise to justify moving there.
Old 02-16-2007, 02:26 PM   #15
Pro

Actually, it just means that 360painting.com, the franchisor, found someone willing to part with 60-100K to open a franchise. 360painting.com would be willing to sell franchises to probably anyone who could come up with the franchise fee and had half a brain. What will tell if this works is the long term success or failure of the franchisees. Some franchises work great, others fail.. just like any other business.

Every business I've ever been involved with always has the back burner plan of possible franchising... if there is a system that works and can be duplicated. The 360 program appears to be marketed towards someone who wants to own their own business. They don't even need to be painters since the owner is just going to hire painters to do the work... and probably a manager too. It's kind of like starting a paint contractor company and starting off "out of the bucket"... but I'm sure some owners of these franchises will be "in the bucket" when starting out... depending on their capitalization.
Old 02-16-2007, 02:31 PM   #16
Pro

Trade: Swimming Pool Contractor
Rewards Points: 1,008

didnt realize it was a franchise, thought i was a big box shop...
in any event somebody & their money recognizes your in a good market

ray
Old 02-17-2007, 08:05 AM   #17
My custom title

Heh, you guys totally misunderstood. I already know my market area is good enough for st joe and another VERY large company to setup a home shop here. My business is painting, therefore I like to know every paint shop guy and every painter I can, including owners and builders. Just wondered if anyone had dealings with 360 as of yet. I actually went and talked to the guy yesterday, gave him some pricing tips and etc... nice guy. Don't read tooooo much into a question.

Quote:
Old 02-17-2007, 09:02 AM   #18
Pro

Has he ever been "in the bucket"? I'm just curious.
Old 02-17-2007, 11:18 AM   #19
My custom title

Quote:
Originally Posted by LennyV-NHSNOLA View Post
Has he ever been "in the bucket"? I'm just curious.
heh, no...

Quote:
Old 02-17-2007, 12:31 PM   #20
Pro

Well, the upside is that if they do a lot of mass mailing or other advertising, it should benefit you as well. People might call them for an estimate but also get other estimates... which is where you come in. I guess anything that gets people thinking about painting or renovating their homes is a good thing for all of us.

Advertisement