Seperately-derived Systems

Old 11-11-2007, 09:53 AM   #1

Trade: resi elec newbie
Rewards Points: 75

Seperately-derived Systems

Second question:
The term "seperately derived system" is defined in Art. 100 of the 2008 NEC on page 70-29. I thought about it awhile and decide that it refers to something like wind power, photovoltaic power, on-site steam co-generation--i.e., power derived from other than a service.

Systems comes up again in 200.6 (D), Grounded Conductors of Different Systems. Thought about that one for awhile, too, and decided that the "different systems" refer to feeders and/or branches coming from distinct services or distinct main panels fed by the same service drop or lateral.

Now, I'm at 250.20 (D), specifically the first sentence: "Separately derived systems, as covered in 250.20 (A) or (B)...". This kinda' threw me for a loop, as (A) and (B) are all about alternating-current systems powered by transformers, such as low-voltage AC supplied from a transformer whose primary is powered from line voltage [250.20 (A)], or a household-type system where the hot-to-ground doesn't exceed 150 volts [250.20 (B)(1)], or 3-phase, 4-wire, wye- and delta-connected systems [250.20 (B)(2) and (3)].

So, what gives??? What makes a 3-phase, 4-wire, wye-connected system a separately-derived system? To me, that is referring to an industrial application, where a transformer powers a motor, but it doesn't seem like a separately-derived system to me, because the transformer is still powered off a main panel with a service on its line side.

Can anyone offer some clarification?

P.S. I've got some Delmar books on my shopping list--just waiting for the next paycheck. :-)

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 11-11-2007, 09:57 AM   #2
Baltimore Electrician

Trade: Electrician
Rewards Points: 500

Re: Seperately-derived Systems

A transformer is absolutely a separately derived system. There is no direct electrical connection between primary and secondary. (Auto transformers excepted)

Advertisement

Quote:
Originally Posted by celtic
Deny Everything, Admit Nothing, Demand Proof
Old 11-11-2007, 10:01 AM   #3

Trade: resi elec newbie
Rewards Points: 75

Thanks. That totally makes sense. It also explains why the question of where the secondary gets its neutral/ground is covered in the code. I have a lot to learn.
Old 11-11-2007, 10:18 AM   #4
Baltimore Electrician

Trade: Electrician
Rewards Points: 500

The secondary of a transformer is just like a service, for the most part - GEC, bond EGC to X0 (neutral), etc.
Quote:
Originally Posted by celtic
Deny Everything, Admit Nothing, Demand Proof