Bonding A Pool

Old 05-10-2013, 10:02 PM   #1

Trade: Electrical Engineer
Rewards Points: 10

Bonding A Pool

I need to bond a pool and the pool builder has baurried the niches and skimmer before I could get to them, but he assures me they are all plastic. Is it possible that these skimemrs and niches do not require bonding?

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Old 05-11-2013, 09:02 AM   #2
Thom

Trade: General Contractor/Homebuilder
Rewards Points: 3,890

Re: Bonding A Pool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Techie Eric View Post
I need to bond a pool and the pool builder has baurried the niches and skimmer before I could get to them, but he assures me they are all plastic. Is it possible that these skimemrs and niches do not require bonding?
You bond all the metal parts. The skimmer for sure would be plastic, the wet niche on the light is probably plastic. You should be good.

Why didn't you just look at the skimmer and the light niche from the inside of the pool area? That would answer your questions.

Last edited by thom; 05-11-2013 at 09:04 AM.
Old 05-11-2013, 07:19 PM   #3
Head Grunt

Trade: Electrical Contractor&Home Maintenance
Rewards Points: 2,124

We have to bond to the skimmer or somewhere in the water line so the water is bonded. It is around $45 for the plate to bond to in the skimmer. Just drill a hole in the skimmer and poke the stud through that is welded to the plate. Both sides have o-rings to prevent leaks. Then bond to the stud. Otherwise you can buy a stainless fitting that has the stud welded to it that goes in line at the pump and you can bond to that. That fitting is around $135 last i checked. If the pool has a light the inspector may allow the bonding of the light to "bond the water". If memory serves me you need 40 square inches of water bond, i may be wrong.

Last edited by woodchuck2; 05-11-2013 at 07:21 PM.
Old 05-11-2013, 08:27 PM   #4

Trade: Electrical Engineer
Rewards Points: 10

Thanks guys.

I think I'm good. The pool builder has yet to install the ladder so my bond to the water will covered by this.
I plan on using DB rated split bolts for bonding to the rebar in the deck and pipe grounding clamps for the fence, but am unsure on how to bond to the diving board. Do I simply put a ring lug on the mounting bolts?
Old 05-11-2013, 11:36 PM   #5
Capra aegagrus

Trade: Remodeler
Rewards Points: 4,426

Can't say I ever met an engineer who actually does hands-on work with the project, let alone having to ask for advice from those who are normally tasked to do so. I'm curious as to how you've arrived in that position.