Pool Plaster Refinish Myself.

Old 08-07-2008, 12:16 AM   #1
Pro

Trade: Electrician
Rewards Points: 150

Pool Plaster Refinish Myself.

Ok, so i have a serious problem hiring out jobs. I usually figure out how to do my own stuff at least on my house. Ok, so here is the deal. my pools plaster has been eroding for a few years now. Its showing concrete in a few spots, and starting to clog the skimmers, and filter. I dont have the cash to blow on a crew, (but maybe i should wait) i have a lot of buddies that like drinking my beer tho. How far fetched is it to replaster on my own. Do i need a pump truck, or can i mix batches? ill retile the border no problem, and pour a new deck, but the plaster i havent figured out. Have i had to many beers tonight, help me, or a atleast shoot my idea down.

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Old 08-07-2008, 07:03 AM   #2
Pro

Trade: LI,NY designer, new homes, renovation work, concre
Rewards Points: 2,000

Re: Pool Plaster Refinish Myself.

sounds feasable, i will all come down to product. there are probably a few ways to go, google sealoflex, they have a full line of products, do your research, drink some beer, and go for it.....

Old 08-07-2008, 07:15 AM   #3
Pro

Trade: LI,NY designer, new homes, renovation work, concre

heres a link, call them

http://www.sealoflex.com/projects_below
Old 08-07-2008, 07:45 PM   #4
Pro

ok ill call, i took a quick look at the product line on the link, i didnt see anything about pools, ponds yes, but ill call. thanks!
Old 08-07-2008, 08:06 PM   #5
Pro

Trade: Specializing in residential remodeling
Rewards Points: 250

CNC, Unless you or any of your 'drinking' buddies' have ever done any kind of plastering weather it be house or pool you'll be in deep s**t and have to chip or sand blast the pool plaster in less than a year (if that long).

Believe me on this the Pro's make it look simple, I seen others try to many times and fail! You just can't read a book, watch a video or use the internet for the skills and quality workmanship as well as you'll get a 10 year plus warranty for the plaster job. Alot more materials out there than just plain white plaster.

Do you have any experience setting pool tiles? another issue not to attempt unless you've done at least one before you attempt to do your own pool.

Just my $0.02

Old 08-07-2008, 09:49 PM   #6
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by j_builder View Post
CNC, Unless you or any of your 'drinking' buddies' have ever done any kind of plastering weather it be house or pool you'll be in deep s**t and have to chip or sand blast the pool plaster in less than a year (if that long).

Believe me on this the Pro's make it look simple, I seen others try to many times and fail! You just can't read a book, watch a video or use the internet for the skills and quality workmanship as well as you'll get a 10 year plus warranty for the plaster job. Alot more materials out there than just plain white plaster.

Do you have any experience setting pool tiles? another issue not to attempt unless you've done at least one before you attempt to do your own pool.

Just my $0.02
I have done tile, and i have plastered interior walls. With research on how to do it, i was thinking to myself the application of the troweling plaster is not rocket science, but yes agree on professional work with you. Its priceless.

What are the reasons they failed, thats the type of info i am looking for. OR maybe different products on the market that are more forgiving, or easier to apply? Its like 12-15000 gallon pool, i wonder what it would cost to have done? This is the very start of this idea, i just thought id ask around.
Old 08-08-2008, 12:27 AM   #7
Pro

Trade: Specializing in residential remodeling
Rewards Points: 250

Quote:
Originally Posted by CNC View Post
I have done tile, and i have plastered interior walls. With research on how to do it, i was thinking to myself the application of the troweling plaster is not rocket science, but yes agree on professional work with you. Its priceless.

What are the reasons they failed, thats the type of info i am looking for. OR maybe different products on the market that are more forgiving, or easier to apply? Its like 12-15000 gallon pool, i wonder what it would cost to have done? This is the very start of this idea, i just thought id ask around.
First and foremost reasons that I've seen is surface "PREPARATION"
Brown coating surface before applying new plaster to gunite shell (glad that most professional gunite companies have change to shotcrete).
Labor intensive removing one or two previous plaster jobs with air chipping guns with plaster fragments and dust airborne.

Don't believe the fiberglass stories "Lifetime Warranty" business life maybe 5-10 years

Don't paint your pool what ever you do or you'll have regrets within a year.

Being 12-15000 gallons of H2O (small pool)

Notice that you live in Cali. You might want to get a few bids for a re tile/re-plaster.

Multitude of color selections out there with plaster.Quartz, Beadcrete,Pebble etc.

Pool plastering isn't "Rocket Science" (hate that term)! I'm coming up with a new term tonight "Building a doghouse" cause anyone can build one (right) the first time

Old 08-22-2008, 08:52 PM   #8

Trade: general contractor
Rewards Points: 25

Quote:
Ok, so i have a serious problem hiring out jobs. I usually figure out how to do my own stuff at least on my house. Ok, so here is the deal. my pools plaster has been eroding for a few years now. Its showing concrete in a few spots, and starting to clog the skimmers, and filter. I dont have the cash to blow on a crew, (but maybe i should wait) i have a lot of buddies that like drinking my beer tho. How far fetched is it to replaster on my own. Do i need a pump truck, or can i mix batches? ill retile the border no problem, and pour a new deck, but the plaster i havent figured out. Have i had to many beers tonight, help me, or a atleast shoot my idea down.

very far fetched. there's too many "things" to know that you'll not know simply because you just don't ...

pool plastering is it's own animal - own trade really. Heck, the prep itself is it's own trade almost.

to answer your question .... yes you "can" [hand]mix batches. Some guys do. Generally a pump truck is used though for larger production crews.

I would get some bids. If you can't afford it ... then do without.
Old 10-10-2008, 01:39 PM   #9
Pro

OK OK , ill abort that mission, I just like to pretend i can do anything, but i don't have the crew for this, thanks for all the great input tho.
Old 10-10-2008, 03:01 PM   #10
Pro

Trade: contractor

Quote:
OK OK , ill abort that mission, I just like to pretend i can do anything, but i don't have the crew for this, thanks for all the great input tho.
you'll never get it right the first time ... i don't care how smart you are ... how hard you work ...

pool plastering is something you can only do by having the experience. To do your first one, you essentially need a crew of experienced plaster guys (who aint gonna wanna show you sh*t, btw) .... and you'll essentially be in the way the whole time.

just in the cost of materials - you will be close to retail ...

[I]prepping[I] for the plaster .... you won't know the ins & outs ... you just won't, end of story.
Old 10-22-2008, 11:07 AM   #11

Trade: General Contractor
Rewards Points: 75

I would suggest that you not take the chipping hammers back to the rental place until you have started plastering. You will need them again!

I have watched my plastering subs put down as much as 40,000 sq. ft. in a day. They make it look sooo easy, as they, the pros are sweating their stones off and getting covered with the stuff.

Leave it to the pros!!!
Old 10-22-2008, 12:35 PM   #12

Trade: general contractor
Rewards Points: 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoreline58 View Post
I would suggest that you not take the chipping hammers back to the rental place until you have started plastering. You will need them again!

no kidding
Old 12-06-2008, 07:34 PM   #13

Trade: GC
Rewards Points: 10

Do NOT try this at home... I have remodeled over 150 pools and still lose an occasional one with professional finishers which is way painful! The prep work is not that tough but the plaster application is the trick. Steps and spas require the most skill
Old 12-12-2008, 10:04 AM   #14
Pro

Trade: Swimming Pool Contractor
Rewards Points: 1,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoreline58 View Post

I have watched my plastering subs put down as much as 40,000 sq. ft. in a day. They make it look sooo easy, as they, the pros are sweating their stones off and getting covered with the stuff.

Leave it to the pros!!!

whos "cook"ing your plaster lol
Old 12-12-2008, 11:23 AM   #15
Pro

Trade: Remodeling Contractor

do it right and you'll never have problems
Attached Thumbnails
Pool plaster Refinish myself.-dsc02504.jpg  
Old 12-22-2008, 06:34 AM   #16

Dave's crews rock!
Old 12-22-2008, 11:03 AM   #17
Pro

Trade: Swimming Pool Contractor

Old 12-22-2008, 04:45 PM   #18

Ok Poolman, all I can say is that I have zero issues with all the pools he has done for me and some are closing in on ten years old.
Old 12-27-2009, 03:30 PM   #19

Trade: swimming pools

Dont try it I have been plastering pools for over 20 years and a master at the trade . The pros make it look easy but please trust me its not.I have had many of trowel man from other fields think they can do it and never seen one yet.If you want it done right let a pro.
Old 05-03-2010, 10:14 PM   #20
Bruce

Trade: Tile and Marble also Swimming Pool

Don't forget, lift your trowel wrong and trap water...plaster fails....Mix too dry...plaster fails....mix too wet...plaster fails....improperly prepared surface...plaster fails....not completely mixed, dry powder trapped in mix...plaster fails.......the key word here is any improper technique at all PLASTER FAILS.