Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

wide grout lines

6K views 25 replies 11 participants last post by  mike gunderson 
#1 ·
I am doing a shower with river rock sheets on the floor. It seems that many of the grout spaces are at least 3/4 inch, maybe a little more. Will urethane grout be fine for this or should I use a standard grout? I guess i could call Bostik, I see they have a range of 1/8 inch to 1/2 inch in their literature.
Has anybody had experience with this application.
Thanks, Mike

#2 ·
I would use epoxy grout. Not only for the strength in holding the stones in place, but for easy cleaning of the shower. Laticrete works well. Using a good quality kitchen scale you can break down the mix into 1/4's for ease of application.

Please tell me those are flat cut stones? Rounded ones can hurt the feet, and can be hated to the point of having them ripped out and replaced.

Also if they are in sheets, make sure to hand set a large majority of the stones so you can't tell they are on sheets.

#3 ·
I have used them all and only use urethane these days. It has many of the same benefits as epoxy but a whole lot easier to install. You should be fine using in the larger grout lines. I have yet to have a call back. Just make sure that when you dampen the tiles as you install the grout that you don't get them too wet or allow too much water in between the stones.

#7 ·
I don't pull all of them off, just the perimeter and set by hand. Occasionally there are some field stones that I pull, but I don't think you have to pull them all on certain brands. But I do like the fact that you can control the joint size pulling them all.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.